E-mail to Jim Rome on ESPN

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:31 am

Eric wrote:Notre Dame will go to the Sun Bowl at 7-5 next year, maybe 8-4. I can't come up with an idea as to how they will be better without Brady Quinn next season. If a mediocre team loses an NFL QB, that doesn't bode well for that team.

It seemed like Notre Dame could hang with decent teams (Georgia Tech, UCLA, uh, Penn State? ouch), but when it came to the big dogs, they had no chance. 3 elite teams, 3 blowouts.

I expect Notre Dame to become better over the years. At this point, most of the Notre Dame hype was caused by the media and it mostly had nothing to do with how good they are. Weis is bringing in some talented recruits and we should get used to seeing Notre Dame in a BCS bowl for a while.

I still say GT is a better team overall than ND this year. I know they lost by a touchdown, but they blew out VT, and almost beat WVU.

If it was not the first game of the year, I think GT would have taken them.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 am

That's possible. I think, from what I saw, they are equivalent. Notre Dame was a better team last season. Next year, there is no way that Weis can improve this team.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:21 am

I have been saying this ever since Clausen committed to notre dame.
He will be a big flop his first two years.

He gives me that Wyat Sexton impression.

And you can go ask Billybud about Sexton.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:30 am

Wyatt Sexton was not highly recruited nor ranked and was no #1 QB like Clausen...he was just a kid who made straight A's whose dad was an FSU football assistant for 30 years.

Wyatt was always intended to be a back up...but funny things happen, like QB Mcpherson getting the boot and Fabian Walker transferring, and voila, Wyatt started. Wyatt is a nice kid but did not have an NFL arm...by the way, he has been an excellent student in his post football days.

By the way, Wyatt's 2003 QB rating of 154.1...that is a rating higher than these QB's had in 2006:

Ainge...Tennessee
Quinn...Notre Dame
Leak.....Florida
Booty....So Cal
Stocco...Wis
Henne....Michigan
Grothe...S. Fla
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 am

Maybe so, but;

Wyatt Sexton also was the qb who started the fsu decline.
His overall rating may have been good. But his win / loss record didn't reflect those numbers.

Kind of like Brock Berlin.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Wrongo Cane...Rix was the QB who started the decline with his four years of inept play...

Re Sexton...he only started in seven games (2004) and was 5-2...that's all. Seven games as a starter. In 2003, Wyatt was a third string back up who played in five games.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

email to Jim Rome

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:52 am

I have to agree with billybud, it was Rix (for all the silly hype) who never matched expectations that started a decline for FSU at QB.

I watched him several times including their loss to UL in 2003 in person. Sure, that game was in the rain; but, UL faced those same problems and QB Dave Ragone did better than Rix. FSU was :oops: that day.

I bet FSU never comes here again. LOL. In fact, we have trouble getting anyone to come here anymore. Ga Tech backed out of home and home for 2007. I did hear Miami was negoiating for a 4 or 6 games home & home with UL. More power to them for being unafraid. Still with Petrino gone, the Miami coach gone who knows about that series now.

Now, most of you are much more knowledgeable about players nationwide than I am; but, I figure anyone hyped by the silly ESPN crews and other media too will usually turn out far worse.

And they way most of the ESPN guys such up to Corso makes me sick. He is the Notre Dame of broadcasting. Far overhyped, his prediction record must be about 2 or 3% correct, etc.

All for now, Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Swampdaddy....have you ever seen Rix's tiny hands?

He couldn't play in the rain...we lost a game against Miami in much the same way as the monsoon game in Louisville...Rix couldn't grip the ball.

If you are in the bragging mood.....let's not forget FSU's beat down of Louisville (31-0) in 2000. Shut them out and down. Louisville had 21 rushes for 3 yards. And this was a Louisville that put up 30 or morepoints in 9 of their games (35 points or more in 8 games)...and FSU shut them down...I don't think that the Cardinals want to come back to Tallahassee.

Louisville did get by FSU in overtime at Louisville. But even then, Louisville was lucky to win in the rain...Louisville got lucky when a pass slipped out of Rix's hand near the goal in overtime...

The stats

Stat.....................FSU.............................Louisville

1st downs.............20..................................20
passing yds..........206................................182
rushing yds..........129.................................121

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

visit Tallahassee, sure

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:19 am

Billybud: Sure, we'd like to visit Tallahassee again, as long as you guys come backup here again for a visit. Maybe you can talk FSU into taking the two spots vacated by GaTech when they backed out of the home and home to start in 2007.

And, we can all play what if. No guarantee of a catch even if Rix aimed it right; there were 3 guys there including the one who intercepted it. And, what if Louisville had punched it in in the first half from the 1 yd. line where rain slips wasted 2 downs. I sorta pin that one on the coach for doing 3 up the middle; but, then again maybe he was right. Doesn't look like luck to me, the stats you gave make it a virtually even game.

But, in reality, who knows what the next time we meet will bring about. Have to wait until that happens.

Swamp Daddy
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:39 am

billybud wrote:Wrongo Cane...Rix was the QB who started the decline with his four years of inept play...

Re Sexton...he only started in seven games (2004) and was 5-2...that's all. Seven games as a starter. In 2003, Wyatt was a third string back up who played in five games.

Who was the QB that overslept and missed exams?? That virtually handed the 2003 Sugar Bowl to Georgia.

That was just hard headed.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 pm

That was our boy Chris Rix...Bowden could have played him..but took the high road.

The ugly part was that the #2 QB, McPherson had been booted, the #3, Fabian Walker had an injured shoulder, and FSU played Georgia using their great wide receiver, Anquan Boldin, as a quarterback....the Sugar Bowl was Boldin's first snap in college as a quarterback.

Return to “General Discussion”