Preseason Poll

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Preseason Poll

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:57 pm

How do we decide on rankings in a preseason poll? A lot of people gripe about how a lot of programs get overrated because of the school they are. But I totally agree with that. At the beginning of the season, no team has proven itself, but time and again, certain programs have. Year in and Year out, certain teams are more talented and better at winning then other programs. I think tradition, weighing the last 25 years more than previous to that, should play a major role in preseason rankings.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:08 pm

I don't know about that Yeofoot, considering Michigan and Tennessee were both ranked high in the pre-season last year.

Guess we'll just have to use our collective best judgement and give it our best shot and then adjust.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:24 pm

Yes, but should tradition play a part of the decision?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:03 pm

I don't have a clue how to quantify tradition and thus I don't know how to put a value on it. I believe tradition has value, but I'm not so sure who or what it has value too.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:13 pm

maybe we can treat the first few weeks as a fun guessing type thing but not let it factor in later in the polls.
we could set some kinda precident, we could be heros!!
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:46 pm

If by tradition you mean teams that some teams generally recruit a lot of talent and the have good depth to replace departing players, then yes you should consider tradition. If it is because they are generally good so "why not", you shouldn't consider it.

I think if you look at game experience, depth of position, and incoming freshman that could make an impact then you should do pretty well. Sometimes that don't work. Tennessee and Michigan are examples of it not working. As long as you are willing to demote then when you have made a mistake, that isn't a problem. If your #1 isn't playing well after 4 weeks, even if the are winning, and you think you have made a mistake you can demote them. Nothing says you can't. You will have to be willing to defend the demotion when your ballot comes out, because someone will call you on it. But you can do it.

The hardest thing will be to get past voting teams you don't care for lower then the deserve to be. If we can all get past our personal bias' and vote honestly it will be a pretty good poll. Do what you think is right and be prepared to defend it. (That will be the really fun part of all of this.)

Also when your spouse asks you why you are watching games all day Saturday instead of being productive, you have an excuse. "I have to watch this game because of the poll vote" :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Mountainmama has never ever questioned my productivity, but she certainly has had isuue with my non-productivity. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Mountainmama has never ever questioned my productivity, but she certainly has had issue with my non-productivity.

Now you can say that you are being productive, and the lawn can wait. :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:23 pm

That's a very good point you make there, Spence.

Before we can even begin to think about quantifying a factor such as tradition we have to define it.

Good job there, O' moderator of the site.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:51 pm

very good point spence. also, you gotta keep up with assistant coaches getting the boot and such. that'll be the biggest pain. towards the END of the season, you always seem to hear the "well they got rid of their _______coach in the spring" or somethin like that as reasons for a team not performing as expected.
i hope i have time to make a good go at this.
'knowing' all this stuff seems to be second nature to alot of yall so it'll be fun tryin to keep up.

mm, i'm thinking of compiling a 'happy wife tips' list to maybe help some of yall obtain guilt free game days. heehee!
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:12 pm

bama-girl, it is with much zeal and anticipation I await such a list.

Using a suggestion such as Spence offered would only provide mountainmama the opportunity to again suggest that my parents were never married.

************************************************************* ************************** :lol: *************************** *************************************************************

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:17 pm

very good point spence. also, you gotta keep up with assistant coaches getting the boot and such. that'll be the biggest pain. towards the END of the season, you always seem to hear the "well they got rid of their _______coach in the spring" or somethin like that as reasons for a team not performing as expected.
i hope i have time to make a good go at this.
'knowing' all this stuff seems to be second nature to alot of yall so it'll be fun tryin to keep up.

It won't be that hard. we are going to preview a lot of the teams and just paying attention should keep us all in the game. the group members should help also. It shouldn't take much more time then most of us already spend on football.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:40 pm

Happy wife tip

Give wife free reign on shopping day (Saturday).

I love College Football, but not that much. :shock:

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:02 pm

I agree, I don't see much of a purpose with the preseason poll. It is kind of confusing really. You're going to base it on last season and the players coming back. Last time I checked, it is this season that should be counting. I'd say 4 weeks into the season. We saw some problems, I pointed them out, when there were some real, drastic changes in the polls. You have to wait 3 weeks before you say, Notre Dame beat Pitt and Michigan, I guess that means that the Irish are the #10 team in the country! Well, I suppose that would've happened last year considering it was only 2 weeks into the season. I just wish the pollsters were a little more conservative.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:43 pm

People keep pointing to Michigan and Tennessee, but either team was bad this season, they just happened to lose to teams that were hitting their stride, such as Ohio State and Nebraska at the end of the season.

Anyway, the things that have positive influences on schools that have the tradition, are the small things that add up. They have better people in the support position, such as director of football operations. They are better at transitioning high school students to being college students. Their road trips run smoother, there is less time spent on their feet. There is less downtime. The academic process is easier for the football players, the tutoring system has been developed and adapted to the players. You see it in high schools all the time, when the community gets behind them, it's a huge lift. The same in college, in the elite programs, it can be as minor as a little kid asking for the star quarterbacks autograph when he's at the gas station. The thing is, at the elite programs, the schools and the community are behind them, and it creates an atmosphere where the players feel like what they are doing, what they are preparing for is the most important thing in the world. There are so many of these small things that add up to giving the traditionally great teams a leg up. Michigan and Tennessee stand out because their records were so much worse than their usual performance. Which just goes to show, they are more likely to succeed than to just do "ok". This is what I mean by counting tradition as a factor.

Return to “General Discussion”