Welcome...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome...

Postby openSkies » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:46 am

Hello all, and welcome to the new CollegeFootballPoll.com message board.

My name is Matt, and I'm the official board admin, but I won't be here often. I just run the behind-the-scenes stuff here at CFP. CFP Admin will be posting shortly with a message to all of you, welcoming you, and informing you all of the changes with the new board.

I've attached a short features list below (next post)...

PS - You can still access the old message board here.

Happy New Year
Last edited by openSkies on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:46 am

Benefits:

1. I know a lot of you voiced concerns over on the old board about new users having to go through the annoying sign-up process. Well, don't worry, there is a 'Guest' feature, which allows them to post without registering. The difference, though, is that you all will know if someone poses as another person. For example, if someone posts as openSkies, it would say "Guest" underneath the name, instead of "Site Admin". For those of you with multiple personalities, feel free to use this feature.

2. More features!

New Features:

1. You can personalize your posts, now.
One example is the avatars (the little images underneath your username... mine is the blue sky). We've gone ahead and uploaded a logo for each conference and each school. Another is signatures. When you edit your profile (that's a new feature, too!), you can add a few lines of text that will automatically be added to the end of every post you make. You do have to select that as an option, though.

2. You can make your posts pretty!
Yup, instead of standing in front of the mirror all day and trying to make yourself look pretty, make your posts look pretty instead. Add smilies, bold/italics/underlines, and pictures (note: pictures must be hosted somewhere, no uploading is permitted).

3. FAQ / Board Navigation.
Yup, there's a FAQ. For any questions you have, consult the mighty list. And there's also a Search feature, which can come in handy.

4. Memberlist / Private Messages (PMs).
Now you can see everyone who is a member, read their profile, and send them PMs! No, not PMS... PMs. Private Messages. It's basically an e-mail, without the need for those long addresses, or having to open Outlook and wait twenty minutes for everything to finish loading.

5. Organization.
Sick and tired of having to go through the 20 pages of topics to find the post that you saw yesterday? I know I got sick of that fast back at the old CFP board. Well, now you don't have to. As time goes on, we'll add different forums to meet with demands (no, not one for each conference... that was pretty ridiculous, and it wasn't my decision, so blame CFP Admin). For right now, we're only putting up 'General Discussion' and 'Picks'. We don't want to overwhelm you right off the bat. (Oh, and we've even gone as far as taking all of your Confidence Point picks and moving them over. Your welcome! )

6. Polls.
Yes, you can even make your own polls now.

7. Rankings.
Just like in the good ole' military, we've got ranks now. Based on the number of posts you send, you can move up in the ranks. If you have no life outside of message boards, then you'll probably get up the ladder pretty quick. We can even bust you down a few notches if we want!

Conclusion:
Well, really, there are a whole lot of features with this board. I would love to go into all of them, but the best way to find them is to just look around. So I hope you all enjoy the new board, and keep it fun.

Setting Up Your Profile: IMPORTANT!

I'm sure that many of you know this, but just in case:

When setting up your profile, it asks you for your Time Zone. Please choose the correct setting, or else you'll get really confused with the posting times. Here's a list for your convenience:

EST (New York): GMT-05
CST (Dallas): GMT-06
MST (Denver): GMT-07
PST (San Fran): GMT-08

You get the idea.

Also, please leave the date format alone (unless you know PHP). This will only make things worse for you otherwise.
Last edited by openSkies on Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:46 am

Change is sometimes a necessary evil and we understand the natural resistance to change. I like simple, too.

So, keep in mind that YOU CAN POST to the new board WITHOUT REGISTERING. This may make you more comfortable until you get more used to the setup. Sooner or later, we'll hope you register. The setup process is easy. Only the first four fields are required.

The new board gets rid of the often irritating ads that we don't make a dime from. Ads on the new board are direct revenue for us which helps keep us in business and the board alive.

We are appreciative of all your feedback on this matter. The driving force goes way beyond people posing as numerous identities.

Spence_

Postby Spence_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:48 am

I think you have the best of both worlds now. My only concern was people having to register before posting because some people wouldn't take the time. Allowing them to post should bring in people. If they stick around a little while we will hook them. Nice job and thank you for listening to our concerns.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:49 am

Oops, deleted the post. I reposted everything though. Sorry, Spence, can't log-in under your name and repost, so I did it as Guest.

Sorry :oops:

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

thanks

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:16 pm

I'm very glad you didn't make us jump through hoops to sign up. This site is sweet.

Return to “General Discussion”