Pat Forde's Preseason Top 25

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:41 am

I seriously do not think that Ohio State will hurt at linebacker. Guys like AJ Hawk don't ever really leave. It's lame, but his spirit will live on. He's the type of guy who's influence will be felt at OSU 8 years from now.

Spirit is nice, but replacing that kind of talent is not so simple.

You are right, though, Ohio State will be fine. For the same reason all the great programs stay great. Recruiting. The teams that sign top 10 classes most every year are the teams that hang out at the top of the heap. The difference between a good coach and a great coach in CFB is recruiting. There are reasons that head coaches from programs like Ohio State never coach college football again when they get fired. People say if you can win there, how are you going to win anywhere else.

If Mack Brown gets fired at Texas in 5 years, he won't find another job in the college ranks. It won't have anything to do with how good a coach he is, it has everything to do with how good he is as a recruiter.

Joe Paterno all of the sudden forgot how to coach all of the sudden. After 40 years he just didn't have it anymore. Then he plugged in a good recruiting class and he is a great coach again.

My point with Ohio State is that you can't replace 9 guys on one side of the ball and 16 starters in all and compete for the national championship. Ohio State will be rank very high in preseason based on how they finished the year and based on reputation. They will be ranked because of the respect that last years teams earned and they will have to live up to the reputation with 16 guys that didn't start last year. It is a tall order.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Pat Forde's Preseason Top 25

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:47 am

Yeofoot wrote:Pat Forde did his preseason rankings, check them out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... id=2299436

Virginia Tech is #23 and the fanatics, think "eh, we might win it all with defense, I'm just glad I don't have to root for that thug marcus vick anymore".

Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:59 am

JoPa finally woke up and realized that freshman can play football too.

At least he found out that freshman would sign if they had a chance to compete for a starting job. Then he found out they can play. "if a dog is going to bite--He will bite as a pup!"

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:10 pm

I think all of our preseson top 25's will be just about as bad too though. I'll be reading as much as I can about the upcoming season, but those freshman are always such a variable, you never know when one of them is going to really contribute. Or even more so are those redshirt freshman, you didn't hear anything about them, then all of a sudden they are playing like veterans. Then of course there is always the injury factor. It's killing me, the countdown to Feb 1st. I can't wait.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Feb 1 "Christmas Day"

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:59 pm

I can safely and wholeheartedly say that Forde is COMPLETELY wrong about the Top 10.

USC at #7 after losing all that talent??? Come on..... :roll:

ESPN needs to get out of USC's lap.

West Virginia will be an even better team, but win the National Championship they will not. IMO

Florida aint gonna be any better either.

And the funniest and most unbelievable of all of them is #6??? Oklahoma!!

HAHA!!! Unranked to Number 6....Really nice Forde!!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:00 pm

Spence wrote:West Virginia does have a very good shot at it all next year. All the domino's are lined up for them to make a run. Pat Forse is still an idiot. :wink:

Amen!! This is just proof that any of us could do just a good a job as the talking hairdo's at ESPN.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:15 pm

These are the same sportswriters that all season long said Vince Young wasn't good enough to win a national championship for Texas, then he does, and now they say that he was the whole team and now we can't win. He went from not good enough, to too good. I'm doing my best not to complain about any disrespect we receive, cause if we beat the Buckeye's we'll have more than enough respect, if we lose at home, we don't deserve to be ranked very high. Either way, us or them are going to the Fiesta Bowl. An outside shot of us both going.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:30 pm

That should be a good game. For different reasons then last year. Last year both teams new they were likely playing for the chance to play USC in the championship game. This year it will be a battle between top 10 Ohio recruits vs. top 10 Texas recruits. It should still be a fun game.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:
Derek wrote:And the funniest and most unbelievable of all of them is #6??? Oklahoma!!

Where did you get that OU was unranked?

OU finished 22 in the Coaches and the AP poll after the bowl game and was 23 before the bowl game in the BCS standings. Also finished 23 on CFP. Get your facts straight next time.

They fell out the rankings a few times during the year. A bowl apperance against a weak #6 Oregon was just enough to pop back in the top 25.

My facts are straight, I just didnt explain it very well.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:
LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:
Derek wrote:And the funniest and most unbelievable of all of them is #6??? Oklahoma!!

Where did you get that OU was unranked?

OU finished 22 in the Coaches and the AP poll after the bowl game and was 23 before the bowl game in the BCS standings. Also finished 23 on CFP. Get your facts straight next time.

They fell out the rankings a few times during the year. A bowl apperance against a weak #6 Oregon was just enough to pop back in the top 25.

My facts are straight, I just didnt explain it very well.

And yet again I forget to login... :(

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Yeah, I couldn't believe they gave the 'W' to Texas Tech. That was a little much I thought. They tried to give the receiver a touchdown in the endzone when he never even caught the ball. That game was ridiculous.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:50 pm

Well, we all hit some big ones and miss some big ones, we seem to notice it more when it happens to the "analysts" who are anything but bafoons. The people who basically pay attention to every sport, college football isn't usually at the top of their list. So when a team like West Virginia for example, considering they had an underacheiving football team in 04 and the fact that they lose so many players, of course they must not have a good season! They usually tag along with what the sport analysts are saying. Everyone seemed to buy into the Purdue thing, the "No Michigan, No Ohio State" was the hot thing at the time.

I agree, I guess we could all do pretty good as ESPN analysts. It really doesn't matter if you get things right or wrong.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:46 pm

What Oklahoma did this year was build depth. Oklahoma went through this season what Ohio State went through in the 04 season. They lost big numbers of players to the draft and graduation. They entered this season needing to play perfect and stay healthy and they did neither. There is a lot of talent in Norman and I think they have the players to make a run next year. #6 is too high to start because they still have to prove some things, but I expect them to win at least nine next season.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:26 am

Wheeew Doggggies! That there Red River Shootout just might be more excitin than deer huntin season openin durin a tornado. A couple of quarterbacks that could count their chest hair on one hand, it don't even matter how hard we hit that there Bomar, the kid's tougher than a week old chicken fried steak from a Texican food restaurant.

Return to “General Discussion”