Selecting Voters: CFP Top 25

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Should we use regional delegation?

Yes - One delegate per 4 users
No votes
Yes - One delegate per 5 users
17%
Yes - Undecided on number
50%
No
33%

Total votes: 6

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Selecting Voters: CFP Top 25

Postby openSkies » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 pm

Please vote on whether you agree with or are opposed to the following selection process for the CFP Top 25 'human' poll.

Method: Delegation
Number of Voters: To be determined
How it works:

The United States will be split up into four sections; NorthEast, SouthEast, NorthWest, and SouthWest (boundries will be decided upon at a later date).

The members who live in that region will be able to vote for their Regional Delegate (the location of your favorite school does not count as your place of residence).

For example, we'll take the SouthEast. These members all live in that region:

CFP Admin
openSkies
..fanatic
..fanaticjr
Rich
Rolltide
David
Derek
(Total of 8 regional members)

Each of these members will be able to vote for their top choices of delegates out of the list. So, for instance, if RollTide receives the most votes for the SouthEast, than he becomes the SouthEast Delegate, and will represent his region in the CFP Top 25 Poll.

There will be one delegate for every certain number of members in the region. So, if there's one delegate for every four members, then the SouthEast Region would elect two delegates. Each member would then vote for his/her top TWO choices of delegates.

The delegate, unlike those in government positions, will not need to vote in-tune with their regional members. If every regional member is a Florida State fan, and wants to vote FSU #1, the Regional Delegate may very well put them at #25. It is up to his/her discretion.

//

Comments, questions, concerns?

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:31 pm

That sounds fair enough, but know that I really want to be on this voting thing, if it doesn't look like I'll get the votes, I'm just going to make sure I have friends sign up so they'll vote for me. Which should be ok, it just brings that much more traffic to the site.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:41 pm

That it does, that it does.

And hey, it's not about who is friends with who (or it SHOULDN'T be). It's about who everyone feels will be the most unbiased and fair in their rankings.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:05 pm

That's why we're having the uh... hmm, what to call it...

Conference Educational Discussions (CEDs).

Spence's idea =]

Next September I am going to start a thread giving people a chance to preview the team they know most about. That way we can get to learn about some of the teams we are going to be voting on from the people who follow those programs

So, there's no need for the members to be in the region of their favorite team.

Also, CLF posted on the other thread about ratio issues. We have a lot of people in the SouthEast, which may give the SouthEast 4 delegates while the NorthWest gets 1.

CLF, here's why I don't think that matters...

We have, let's say, 40 people. They live like this...

15 SE
15 NE
5 SW
5 NW

So the East is unfairly balanced. At the 1/5 ratio, the Eastern regions get 6 total delegates while the West gets 2.

Well, what's the difference between that and just picking/voting for 8 voters at random? This is actually a more fair way, and gives people who aren't so... "well-known", I guess you could say... a shot at participation. And the region boundries aren't set yet, so of course we'll work this into that. We aren't splitting the US down the middle and across into 4 even areas. We're going to divide it up based on where members are, and try our best to keep the number of members in each region somewhat close to one another.

Answer your concern?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:20 pm

I like they Idea of delegations. Breaking it down into groug of about 4 people if that works out. the delegate could throw this poll out for discussion on Saturday night or Sunday morning and then listen to what they other members of the delegation think about it. Debate a little bit, consider what the rest say and make it official Monday evening.

Instead of making it regional though, why not try to group 4 people from different regions. that would make it more interesting. When more people join, we could add more groups or add more members to groups. That way anyone who wants to participate can and every voice would be heard. The more people who participate the more fun the debate will get. It should generate a lot of interest. (also by making the groups choose the delegate it lets the Admin. off the hook trying to choose, smart) :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:39 pm

I would like to vote in this thing. You're saying if I don't get chosen, I don't get to vote.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:08 am

Yeofoot - Sounds like the campaigning has begun already. :shock:
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:49 pm

openSkies wrote:Also, CLF posted on the other thread about ratio issues. We have a lot of people in the SouthEast, which may give the SouthEast 4 delegates while the NorthWest gets 1.

CLF, here's why I don't think that matters...

We have, let's say, 40 people. They live like this...

15 SE
15 NE
5 SW
5 NW

So the East is unfairly balanced. At the 1/5 ratio, the Eastern regions get 6 total delegates while the West gets 2.

Well, what's the difference between that and just picking/voting for 8 voters at random? This is actually a more fair way, and gives people who aren't so... "well-known", I guess you could say... a shot at participation. And the region boundries aren't set yet, so of course we'll work this into that. We aren't splitting the US down the middle and across into 4 even areas. We're going to divide it up based on where members are, and try our best to keep the number of members in each region somewhat close to one another.

Answer your concern?
Does it address my concern? NO.
Plain and simple it's obviously slanted, in design. But what do I know?

Return to “General Discussion”