Beer, etc + NCAA football stadiums/little known fact

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Larry

Beer, etc + NCAA football stadiums/little known fact

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:03 pm

Big Ten college football stadiums outlaw alcohol. period! But here's something even most Iowa fans don't know. After a 90 million dollar make-over of Kinnick Stadium, the new "press-boxes" will serve up all the drinks you want! Reason: The "press boxes" are built on steel beams several inches "away" from the actual stadium! This topic is one of "Larry's dozen" that I wrote down during the past few months - hope these "dozen" spark interest as there are more to come. If anyone has "problems" with these "dozen", please repond, as then I will have no choice but to pull a "Boomer" on you. p.s. If I had the money for the "press box priveiege", I would invite mountainman and howdy -- teams wouldn't matter!!!

spell check----------------------------

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Thank you Larry

Did you get the last e-mail I sent you.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:39 pm

It would not surprise me if that same thing is practiced at many college stadiums. Those skyboxes or press box suites come with a hefty price tag. Had a cousin while a student, that worked as a waiter in the West Virginia press box suites. Told us he made bundle in tips. Got his degree in physics and worked on fixing the hubble telescope. 8)

We still hunt together on occasion. Sitting around the fireplace listening to him talk about quantum physics and the string theory is mesmerizing. :roll:

Seems the more times the mason jar makes its way around the more sense it makes .... to me anyway. :lol:

You never can tell Larry. Maybe we'll take in a Hawkeye game one of these days. Cruisin' around in your 'ride' would be way too cool.
Last edited by mountainman on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:00 am

Sitting around the fireplace listening to him talk about quantum physics and the string theory is mesmerizing.

Seems the more times the mason jar makes its way around the more sense it makes .... to me anyway.

I'm thinking I would have to see the bottom of that jar before I would get a clue. :idea:

I didn't think any college football stadium was aloud to sell beer, except in some bowl games. I think that is an NCAA rule, but I'm not sure.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:04 am

Spence, you are a trip. :lol:

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:44 am

Selling alcohol at any on-campus sporting event venue is against NCAA rules. The Miami Hurricanes play off-campus in the Orange Bowl so alcohol is sold. Same thing for FSU basketball games at the Donald L. Tucker Center, located just blocks away from the campus. I've never been to the Rose Bowl where UCLA plays its regular season games, or the L.A. Colisuem where USC plays. But I know both are off-campus and likely sell alcohol. Don't profess to know if Kinnick is an on-campus facility. If it is, alcohol sales would be against NCAA policy in any portion of that stadium unless there's some clause that considers those luxury suites private property of the owner. Then, maybe you get into a governance matter that supercedes the NCAA mandate.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:14 am

It's amazing how creative the students get to be able to get booze into the stadium. Us alums get to stand on the sideline at our home games, I put booze into my gatorade bottle.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:21 pm

..fanatic wrote:Selling alcohol at any on-campus sporting event venue is against NCAA rules. The Miami Hurricanes play off-campus in the Orange Bowl so alcohol is sold. Same thing for FSU basketball games at the Donald L. Tucker Center, located just blocks away from the campus. I've never been to the Rose Bowl where UCLA plays its regular season games, or the L.A. Colisuem where USC plays. But I know both are off-campus and likely sell alcohol. Don't profess to know if Kinnick is an on-campus facility. If it is, alcohol sales would be against NCAA policy in any portion of that stadium unless there's some clause that considers those luxury suites private property of the owner. Then, maybe you get into a governance matter that supercedes the NCAA mandate.

Colo sells beer.
They one time sold it in the bottle until the dumb people stared throwing them.
Now they are in plastic cups.

Larry

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:32 pm

I think beer should be allowed again in college football stadiums, but probably not "hard liquor". example:
Back in the late 70's and the 80/s, I worked for ChemLawn (HQ was in Columbus, Ohio). ChemLawn had two $400,000 customized motor coaches (fancy Greyhound buses) that were offered to their branches all around the Country for a week's "use". They originally offered all the booze you could drink, but too many people started 'puking' on the carpet, so later they switched to "beer only".
Howdy - I got your recent e-mail, and I replied, but it's an e-mail address you don't check very often.
Oh yes, back in the early 80's you could buy "Hawkeye Beer". It had the colors & logo on the can. Never drank any cuz I was living in Texas at the time.
Later, Larry

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:06 am

I tried to find something definitive on this but, so far, all I came up with was this:

The NCAA enacted legislation -- Bylaw 31.1.14 "Restricted Advertising and Sponsorship Activities" -- that restricts the advertisement, sales or promotion of alcoholic beverages during NCAA-governed championship events. Restrictions on alcohol use at regular-season and nonchampionship events would fall under the institutional policies that govern that facility.

I always thought it was outlawed at all on-campus atheltic facilities. Perhaps, I was wr-, wro--, wron--, mistaken.[/b]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:18 am

I think you are right. I have never been in a luxury box so I don't know what goes on in one. I think if someone other then the University owns it, though, that it would be possible to get around the law.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:06 pm

I tried to find something definitive on this but, so far, all I came up with was this:

"The NCAA enacted legislation -- Bylaw 31.1.14 "Restricted Advertising and Sponsorship Activities" -- that restricts the advertisement, sales or promotion of alcoholic beverages during NCAA-governed championship events. Restrictions on alcohol use at regular-season and nonchampionship events would fall under the institutional policies that govern that facility".

I always thought it was outlawed at all on-campus atheltic facilities. Perhaps, I was wr-, wro--, wron--, mistaken.

Return to “General Discussion”