Game day traffic jams - worst cities? (big & small)

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Larry

Game day traffic jams - worst cities? (big & small)

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:09 pm

My oppinion:

Big city: the Chicago area is the worst (big city) in the Country. Reason: 1) so much construction, 2) so many interstates, US highways, State highways, etc all "colliding" in the same place.

Small city: Ames, Iowa (iowa state cyClowns). Reason: The IOWA/iowa state game -- interstate 35 and US hwy 30 are logjammed for miles for at least 4 hours before gametime. But...."I know Ames". Since we have customers in Ames (which we charge a higher price cuz they live in cyClown country), I know the "backroads & side streets very well, so we "sneak in the back way". Plus...our "yellow page" saleslady gives us 2 free tickets every year for the isu/IOWA games whether it's in ames or Iowa City--nice! Plus ---- we PARK FREE in a customer's driveway only 2 blocks away from isu's cheap *** stadium!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:28 pm

Central columbus is a Zoo on gameday. No place to park. Traffic at a stand still. Tailgaters everywhere. The bars are full. The campus is full. The Arena district is full. 100,000 people filing into the stadium. 150,000 more partying on Lane Ave. and on High Street. No room to breathe. I love it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:42 pm

In 1985 I was in downtown Coulumbus the night before the big Iowa/Ohio State football game. (we partied at the Agora ballroom) This was when Chuck Long was Iowa's quarterback, and the Hawkeyes were ranked number one. It was really crowded downtown, but we left that Saturday morning and watched the (disappointing) game on the motorcoach's TV. Traffic "going out of town" was easy, but we saw "miles of cars" going "inbound". This was back in the day that Hawkeye fans considered the Buckeyes "a dirty team". Sorry Spence, but since most Buckeye fans are still affected by bongwater and hops, us Hawkeye fans still remember what "should have been."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:51 pm

most Buckeye fans are still affected by bongwater and hops

Yes they are. 8)

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Shoot Spence -- I'll get on your bad side yet. If Boomer were here, he would not let you go that easy! LOL (viewers on this site - please know that Spence & I are friends, but we like to "mix it up" occasionally).....meanwhile,,, I'll be waiting for my opportunity to post a "slam dunk"! LOL (smack talk is a comin')

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:10 pm

I'll be waiting.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:14 pm

Bongwater and hops :shock: ....... I'll stick with the 'mountain dew'. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:22 pm

I'll stick with the 'mountain dew'.

I've always been a fan of the mountain dew too, but Columbus is a big city and they have all kinds.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:44 pm

Yep, no doubt ..... I'd be willing to wager that in your younger day maybe you had a sample or two. :lol:

Just like most of us did. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:56 pm

Yep, no doubt ..... I'd be willing to wager that in your younger day maybe you had a sample or two.

More then a sample or two. I had the need to sew a lot of oats back in the day. Actually my head would still do it, but the body doesn't have the recovery time that it once had. I'm gettin' old.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:00 am

Yep, we do get older and wiser. :roll:

I harvested a few bushels of those wild oats myself ... back in the day. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:02 am

Yep, we do get older and wiser.

Well, at least older.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:52 am

I was quite surprised at how well Jacksonville handled its traffic to and from Alltel Stadium. Not only is the city surrounded by water and many inlets, the stadium is stuck out on a point. They control things by one-waying all the roads in before the game and out after the game. If you park here, they route you that way. If you park there, they route youa different way, so there is very little traffic convergence.

Blacksburg is a nightmare on gameday with only two major ways in - via the new interstate or the old downtown route. People from the south can drive in through a rural highway that I go out of my way to get to because I know the traffic will be much lighter. Most of the population in that area live around the Roanoke area to the northeast and that's where you run up against major bumper-to-bumper traffic for miles.

If you go to a game in Blacksburg, ask someone about the backroads. It makes your journey a lot less stressful. Or invite Mountainman to bring a few of his mason jars, tailgate early and leave late.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Return to “General Discussion”