The original (charter member) Big Ten teams

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Larry

The original (charter member) Big Ten teams

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:34 pm

There were seven. Do you know who they were? (hint: one is nolonger in the conference)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 pm

I read about that once upon at time, but cannot recall. Seems Northwestern was one of the top teams though. :?

Larry

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:05 pm

Yep...Northwestern was one of the seven. Keep going.....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 pm

Northwestern U
U of Michigan
U of Minnesota
U of Illinois
U of Iowa
U of Purdue
U of Chicago

It was called the Western Conference back then. Ohio State joined in 1912. :D
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Larry

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:01 pm

Atta boy Spence --- I figured you would post the correct answers first. I found this data on BigTen.org. Way to go! Larry.

p.s. Now I'd like to hear more about other conferences. Anyone?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:50 pm

OK Larry,

This one will be good for you...

The Big 12 is made up of the former Big 8 and 4 members from the old SouthWest Conference (SWAC). The Big 8 was not officially named "The Big 8" until 1964.

Who were the 4 original (charter members) and the 1 joint member of the original conference that eventually became the Big 8 and what was that conference name?

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 pm

The big 8 was once the big 7 and the big 6
Then at one time it was the Missouri Valley
That was before the big 6

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 am

The conference name was the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

the original members were Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Washington Univ. of St. Louis, and Iowa. Iowa being a dual member of this and the B-10. That was hard. :x

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:52 pm

With respect to conferences, I believe it ties in well to what I've already proposed. Consider, for example the data already presented here.
The Big Ten 'grew to become what it is today, and did it through acquisitons of teams, similar to what the Big XII did, in 1996.
Secondly, i'ts my opinion, that the Big East, in order to remain competitive will need to add teams. Potential members include Notre Dame, Penn State, E.Carolina, and even Marshall University.
Should that happen, the Big Ten may be forced to add teams to remain competitive. Two teams from Big XII N. Division would fit well within Big Ten structure, and would, in all probability do so, if asked.
I'm referring to Missouri, and Iowa State, two schools that play outside the Big Ten, but within it's geographical area.
Should that happen, the Big XII could conceivably 'reunite' teams from SWC, in the S. Division, specifially Arkansas & TCU. I've heard rumors that Arkansas isn't happy in SEC, anyway, so would probably 'jump ship' should the opportunity present itself. And TCU would, in my opinion, make an excellent 'replacement'. That would also 'reunite' teams from the Big 8 in the N. Division. People have complained that the Big XII destroyed the SWC, so that would be one way to remedy the situation.
As I've already stated to you in previous postings, this does more than make conferences more regionally appropriate, it also gives the BCS the option to orchestrate a 'playoff' should that become necessary.
More and more people want one, and the only way I can think of is to make the BCS more selective. To participate you need to be a conference champion. With ten positions in the BCS, next year, it's a fair way to select teams irrespectively of where they play.
Spence contends, it's 'bias' to the 'lesser' conferences, but I contend it's equal representation.
Even without a playoff, it's a fairer way to select a team. Ranking would still apply, teams would need to be ranked to secure a 'championship' pairing. And only teams ranked sufficiently high enough could partipate, perhaps top-25 being the 'cut-off'.
I'm all in favor of tradition, in fact it's essential to the game, but I also want a concensus national champion, and it's possible with title games.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:20 pm

Hey Spence, you guys can definitely have Iowa St, and sure why not Missouri too! I totally agree with you on having TCU and Arkansas playing with us. I also agree with growing through acquisition.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Missouri and Iowa State in the Big Ten??? Not if Hawk fans have anything to do with it.
Missouri "renigged" on a two-year contract to play Iowa in football (2004 + 2005)....wonder why???? LOL
Iowa State cyClowns??? Are you kidding? When the wind is out of the north, the air becomes foul here in Des Moines!!! True Hawkeye fans HATE "the clowns"! Plus - their cheezy stadium is not up to Big Ten standards!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:44 pm

I would rather have Nebraska and West Virginia in the B-10 then Iowa St. and Missouri.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:49 pm

I'd go for that. I think a Nebraska/Iowa football game could sell 250,000 tickets. The only time Iowa State cyClown tickets are sold out is 1) Iowa, 2) Nebraska.

Return to “General Discussion”