JUCO Transfers

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

JUCO Transfers

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:06 pm

http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Recruiting/JUCOTop150_1_75.htm

This is an updated list of them. Nebraska seems to be on the lookout for "quick fixes" with this. It certainly looks like they're making a move on some decent talent to help them improve. I never heard of the #1 ranked JUCO DE, Louis Holmes. Arizona gets a monster. I think you'll hear from the Wildcats. Who knows? They could make a run for a bowl game....

Anyway, Brett Schaeffer, whichever big school he decides to go to, I think that he'll be a big help.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:10 pm

I seriously wish Mack Brown would give him a call.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:16 pm

Why not? I think that would be the smartest move for him. Think about it Brent! You step in to an awesome situation. Texas has so many players returning, and I'd think they would be even more dominant than USC was last year had Vince Young returned. So if he steps into Austin, dons the burn orange and white, they'd be the favorites to win the NC again, IMO.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:21 pm

When I met Mack Brown/when I went to his football camp and sat there with 500 other wannabes, he said he never recruits Juco's because "he's had trouble with them in the past"

OU won a National Championship with a guy from Snow Junior College. That's always a good juco, because they get a lot of the talented mormons that want to play for two years, then go on their mission, and when they get back, they're literally men amongst boys.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:50 pm

Most JUCO's go to JC because they didn't have the grades to make it through the clearinghouse. It isn't because they didn't have the talent. Some could be smart enough to make it, but don't apply, some aren't college material (the usually don't make it to D-1) and some are kids who have had a rough time and will take advantage of the chance. You can build a program with JUCO talent. Kirk Ferentz did it at Iowa. JUCO's aren't around long, but they do give teams trying to climb the hill a good first step.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:50 pm

I agree with that 100%. It takes a while to build depth, that needs to come through the recruiting classes. Plus the chemistry is always changing. You can't rely on too much of them because they leave in 1 or 2 years, then whoever is going to fill that role is questionable. JUCOs are probably the way to get a program started, considering some are decent enough. I think Schaeffer was able to qualify at Tennessee, he just didn't want to get involved with the Ainge/Claussen QB battle. Had Schaeffer been there in 2005, I think the Vols would've been much better.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:07 am

We had a couple players from Snow play for us at Oberlin. They were really good.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:56 pm

Especially a guy like Brent Schaeffer, he will be an instant help to a very good football team wherever he decides to go. Trust me, it will be a nationally recognized program. I'm sure Tennessee would like to have him back!

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 am

was it Josh Huepel or Nate Hybel that was from Snow?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:22 am

That be him, I did not know which college he came from but I do remember we had a time getting him academically eligible

That is the big problem with JUCO's. It isn't that they didn't have the talent to play D-1 in the first place, it is they don't have the grades. Getting them eligible and keeping them eligible can be tough.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”