Saban Shares His Thinking on Playoff Expansion

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Saban Shares His Thinking on Playoff Expansion

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:07 pm

14 teams play in the new NFL post season format...

Look...if you want to make college ball like the NFL...ditch the 121 teams, ditch conferences...pick just 32 teams and make up two divisions of 16 like AFC and NFC and divide into pods...and have drafts out of high school so that talent is more even like the NFL.

Just trash can college ball, do away (thank god) with the Big Ten and SEC and all conferences...make it NFL lite since we are moving that way anyway...

Othetrwise...you are just blathering.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:27 pm

And, unlike college ball, you do not have conference champs who have not played a decent schedule...The NFL is much more homogenized in talent level..

If you want an NFL type playoff...as I posted...blow up college ball and make it NFl Lite..but don't say you want a similar experience within the context of how college ball is organized......that is ridiculous.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:05 pm

billybud wrote:And, unlike college ball, you do not have conference champs who have not played a decent schedule...The NFL is much more homogenized in talent level..

If you want an NFL type playoff...as I posted...blow up college ball and make it NFl Lite..but don't say you want a similar experience within the context of how college ball is organized......that is ridiculous.

I do think fbs needs an over hall. There are too many teams. But i would like a system where there are more than 8-10 teams in the country that have a shot every year. Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, LSU, Georgia and Texas get a lot of slack from the committee. Too much slack. They basically have to fall flat on their face to be removed from the top 10.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:15 am

Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan had something in common this year...they won 11 or more games with an SOS ranked in the 20's or lower...(except Notre Dame with SOS #43)....but Notre Dame did not play in the playoff.

But neither did OK. State at 11-2 (SOS #4) or Oklahoma at 11-2 (SOS #34) or Baylor 11-2 (SOS #21).

The benefit of the doubt was given to Cincinnati 13-0 with an SOS of 71.

Win a lot of games against good competition...and you get some respect.

Who in this year;s CFP Top 10 do you have a quibble with ?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:02 pm

I don’t really care who makes it and who doesn’t. It is more about the method in which they pick the teams. I know had Ohio State beaten Michigan they would have been in and they absolutely didn’t deserve to be in with that defense. I knew it. I believe they committee knew it. I don’t think they would have cared because Ohio State brings numbers. That is my problem with how they pick. Certain teams are given the benefit of the doubt, even after a loss and the others have to demonstrate they are above doubt. The tournament should be the method used to determine the best team. The conference championship should determine the best teams in the conferences. Because the group of 5 do not have the strength of schedule as a power 5, they could add another layer to a tournament and make them playoff for their bid. But the subjectivity of the committee isn’t a good way to do it. You basically have reps from power 5 conferences representing their interests in a room and coming up with a consensus top 10. I just would rather the politics be taken out of it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:58 pm

Question: What do you get when you have an INCOMPETENT GOVERNING BODY, A GROUP OF SHORTSIGHTED, GREEDY NARCISSISTS, AND A FOR PROFIT CORPORATE ENTITY??????

:?: :?: :?: :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:38 pm

Mountainman wrote:Question: What do you get when you have an INCOMPETENT GOVERNING BODY, A GROUP OF SHORTSIGHTED, GREEDY NARCISSISTS, AND A FOR PROFIT CORPORATE ENTITY??????

The US Government?? :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:23 pm

Mountainman wrote:Question: What do you get when you have an INCOMPETENT GOVERNING BODY, A GROUP OF SHORTSIGHTED, GREEDY NARCISSISTS, AND A FOR PROFIT CORPORATE ENTITY??????

Well...if you don't have that...you have CUSA, the Sunbelt...Ivy League....you can enjoy their games..

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:01 pm

billybud wrote:

Well...if you don't have that...you have CUSA, the Sunbelt...Ivy League....you can enjoy their games..

Yep, I’m sure there’s a bundled package out there somewhere I’m being forced to pay for that carries the games, although I haven’t seen the Ivy League Channel as of yet…… :roll:

You know, I’ve been reading about theses 10 year, 10 million per year plus perks, contracts some of the coaches have received…….. btw, did you happen to see Jimbo Fisher’s interview on ESPN last week???? He was asked about his thoughts on NIL……. he told the host he didn’t have any issue with it, and told the story about how back in the day they just took a bag of cash and gave it to the players. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Here’s Saban’s and Smart’s take on NIL’s…….

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/09/n ... title-game

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:47 pm

Last year, Bama and Ohio State played in the Final....and had 20 players drafted in the 2021 NFL draft (10 from each team).....

20 drafted juniors and seniors...and you wonder why a Tulsa, Miami of Ohio, FAU can't compete on the field...they are playing against NFL type players.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm

billybud wrote:Last year, Bama and Ohio State played in the Final....and had 20 players drafted in the 2021 NFL draft (10 from each team).....

20 drafted juniors and seniors...and you wonder why a Tulsa, Miami of Ohio, FAU can't compete on the field...they are playing against NFL type players.

No one had any queries of whether or not those teams would be able to be competitive on the field with the Power5 schools.

It is more to do with how they aren't allowed to compete vs them.

This isn't 40 years ago, where programs can raise themselves up against the mighty elites, by scheduling more.

Starting out as an independent help schools such as Miami, FSU and Penn State become household names.

With larger conference alignments, and television revenue absorbed by the larger brands, there is no longer a path to grow that way.

NIL will see to it; Conference Heads will make certain of it.

The money and time to invest is not possible anymore. So, telling a school to use out dated methods, is the same as telling a 10 year old who's never fished a day in his life, "Here's a rod, boy, now go catch something." Without giving him bait, or showing him which ponds actually have fish in them.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 pm

Yeah...so what do you propose ?

What is going to make an Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State play so that Miami of Ohio, Tulsa, FAU, or Indiana has a chance to beat them straight up.

WKU has scheduled Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn...they now need to win to show something.

Same with Bowling Green who have scheduled Ohio State, UCLA, Michigan, Penn State, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Iowa State, Louisville, Georgia Tech

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:49 pm

If they play defense they can probably beat Ohio State

I think I am with Sankey on the expansion thing. Stay at 4. Nothing is going to change if they expand games. It is senseless to expand under the current system.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:50 am

I believe I see what these powers that be are going to do about it…….. 1st they’re going to expand the playoffs, next they’re going to eliminate divisions within conferences in order to have a conference members play other conference members to determine a champ. The conference champs get an auto bid and some number of non-champs will be selected at-large based on some ranking…….. currently who in the hell do you expect to be the Nattie Champ with so small a selection of FOUR teams???? But you guys are smart and know good and well it’s going to be ONE OF THOSE FOUR TEAMS. :lol: :lol:

It’s the same thing that was done back when UCLA and John Wooden’s teams won the basketball titles darn near every year for a decade or more, the tournament was expanded and things changed dramatically. 8) 8) 8)

……..and the same thing the NFL did in the past AND CONTINUES TO DO.

The Playoff must have National, Regional and Local appeal if it’s going to be successful. 8)

https://www.si.com/media/2022/01/11/col ... ma-georgia

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:43 am

I am not sure that Sankey will allow autobids on even the power 5's. And right now, it is his ball they are playing with and he has the power. Much like Delaney from the b10 back in the day. Warren in the B1G is holding up the works right now. I don't have much confidence in his abilites to move the mountain. I will be surprised if there are any automatic bids, at least in the 2nd incarnation of playoffs. I am not sure you can blame Sankey for not letting autobids go through. With Oklahoma and Texas, he has 7 teams that have the ability and resources to compete for championships. What would be is motivation to give in to automatic bids? Right now, the only conference that can compete financially with the SEC is the B1G and they are losing ground to them. You have the tv deal for the SEC going to be 90 million. The B1G currently around 60 will approach that number. Everyone else is going to be around 1/3rd of that. I don't see autobids sticking unless the climate changes.

Return to “General Discussion”