YAWN………. oh hum, the CFP guys had another meeting

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

YAWN………. oh hum, the CFP guys had another meeting

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 pm

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: YAWN………. oh hum, the CFP guys had another meeting

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:50 pm

I think they should play off Georgia and Cincinnati. They are the only two teams that deserve to be in the playoffs at this point.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:14 pm

Is there anything else on this earth that you’re aware of that actually devours itself ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Spence wrote:I think they should play off Georgia and Cincinnati. They are the only two teams that deserve to be in the playoffs at this point.

Ah, yes ...

The BCS model.

I'm all for it.

15 years ago, my idea for the +1 game [which is really what we have], was to hold a +1 only on the years where there were either more than 2 undefeated teams, or 1 undefeated team with 3 likely #2 1 loss candidates.

Spence, I'm with you, here.

If they do expand, I'm hoping for the 8 team auto-qualifies.

That would limit to some extent the number of teams from a single conference.

Initially you would not have all of the "Best 8 Teams".

However, you can make an argument that it would give the opportunity for better parity, over time, with wider inclusion field.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Mountainman wrote:Is there anything else on this earth that you’re aware of that actually devours itself ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

The U.S. government.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:I think they should play off Georgia and Cincinnati. They are the only two teams that deserve to be in the playoffs at this point.

Ah, yes ...

The BCS model.

I'm all for it.

15 years ago, my idea for the +1 game [which is really what we have], was to hold a +1 only on the years where there were either more than 2 undefeated teams, or 1 undefeated team with 3 likely #2 1 loss candidates.

However, you can make an argument that it would give the opportunity for better parity, over time, with wider inclusion field.

No way in hell they have 8 team auto qualifies. They want to control the matchups to maximize the tv ratings to make sure the money keeps flowing.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:35 pm

Mountainman wrote:Is there anything else on this earth that you’re aware of that actually devours itself ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

The U.S. government.

The US Government devours itself and all that it touches.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Spence wrote:

Ah, yes ...

The BCS model.

I'm all for it.

No way in hell they have 8 team auto qualifies. They want to control the matchups to maximize the tv ratings to make sure the money keeps flowing.

I'm sure they could finagle some way of getting their own pick by exclusion, even with auto-qualifiers, so long as the writing were vague enough.

Right now, for example ...

Let's give a Hypothetical.

If OSU had not lost to Oregon, and their only loss were to Michigan; if Michigan were to lose to Iowa in the Big Ten Title game, then OSU would still be included to the playoff, not being involved in the Big Ten title outcome.

Should an 8 team Auto-Qualifier be introduced, there is no guarantee the model wouldn't simply support whomever the Committee would choose as "The Best Team" from each Qualifying Conference.

They could set it up, that the Conference Championship Games are not Qualifiers.

In that framework, they would still get the match ups they wanted, by design.

Will they do it that way.

Highly unlikely.

But I would not put it past them to try something this stupid.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:16 pm

I think it should be a tournament of champions. If you don't win your conference you don't get in. I don't care if you are the 2nd best team in the nation if you are 2nd best in your conference.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Spence wrote:I think it should be a tournament of champions. If you don't win your conference you don't get in. I don't care if you are the 2nd best team in the nation if you are 2nd best in your conference.

I agree ...

But we already know that wouldn't stop them from doing this, because this is what they already gave us.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”