Coaching Updates 2021

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:27 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I'd shift the topic to its own thread ...

At the top, I'll post up Mel Tucker's new deal, in just his second season, he's certainly confident with his job
security; Michigan State agreed to a enormous 10-year, $95 million contract extension.

That's $9.5 million a year, just a quarter of a million shy of Saban, who's earning $9.75 annually.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[from "The State of Florida Football" thread]

So, Mullen is out at florida ...

And that is only the tip of overturn.

Gary Patterson is out as TCU Head Coach

Sonny Dykes, leaves SMU to take the TCU job.

Rhett Lashlee [Miami Offensive Coordinator] has accepted the Head Coaching position, at SMU.

Who else in the FBS is spinning the wheel?

Akron -- fired HC Tom Arth -- [open]

UConn -- fires Randy Edsall -- hires Jim Mora

FIU -- Butch Davis says he's not going to return after his contract expires, which ends on Dec. 15

Georgia Southern -- fires Chad Lunsford --- hires Clay Helton

USC -- fired Clay Helton -- [open]

LSU -- fired Ed Ogeron -- [open]

Louisiana Tech -- fired Skip Holtz -- [open]

UMass --- fires Walt Bell -- hires Don Brown (Arizona DC)

Texas Tech -- fires Matt Wells --hires Joey McGuire (Baylor OLB coach)

Troy -- fired Chip Lindsey -- [open]

Virginia Tech -- fired Justin Fuente -- [open]

Washington -- fired Jimmy Lake -- [open]

Washington -- fired Nick Rolovich -- [open]

Some names of note, who've been speculated as potential hires to other programs:

Jonathan Smith -- Oregon State signed Smith to an extension through 2028; the new deal includes assistant salary increases

Jeff Traylor -- UTSA give Traylor with an extension through 2031, with an average annual salary of $2.8 million

Hugh Freeze -- Liberty has given Freeze an extended contract, up through 2028, worth upwards of $4+ million per year

Mike Gundy -- Oklahoma State extended Gundy's contract, though no pay bump

P.J. Fleck -- Minnesota went into a seven-year extension with Fleck, whose new deal is worth $5 million a year

James Franklin -- Penn State agrees to a 10 year contract extension with Franklin worth $75 million

Dave Clawson -- Wake Forest signed what is being labeled as "a long-term contract extension", no other details given

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coaching Updates 2021

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:02 am

Am I the only one who thinks coaches are overpaid? :lol:

The quickness in firing coaches is a problem to me. It's like they are hired to win the conference in 3 years, and if it doesn't happen, they're gone. And with all that money they don't care, they know someone else will pick them up.

Why not hire a young hungry guy and make him earn his money?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

As Mountainman has already informed us of the pending move:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/stor ... coln-riley

Notice how the article states;
It seemed certain then that Riley would stay with the Sooners. But a few hours after that 9 p.m. postgame news conference, a deal between USC and Riley was reached. University officials vetted their new coach early Sunday morning. By Sunday night, USC officially announced the dawn of a new era in its football program.

Which tells me Riley already knew, going into the Bedlam Game that he was gone.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:03 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

As Mountainman has already informed us of the pending move:

It seemed certain then that Riley would stay with the Sooners. But a few hours after that 9 p.m. postgame news conference, a deal between USC and Riley was reached. University officials vetted their new coach early Sunday morning. By Sunday night, USC officially announced the dawn of a new era in its football program.

I think he knew the week after USC fired Helton.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Mountainman is just enjoying the show……..

The Back Room Deal

Act 1

Oklahoma surprises the Big XII Conference by announcing they are leaving the conference to join the Southeastern Conference. :shock:

Act 2

Head Football Coach provides Oklahoma a sigh of relief by announcing he is not going to take the job at LSU…….. and the next day announces he’s taking the job at Southern Cal. :lol:

They teach ‘em well at Oklahoma…….. :roll:

And BTW, I read today where several recruits that Lincoln Riley had committed to Oklahoma have de-committed from Oklahoma and are following Riley to Southern Cal. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:51 pm

What’s all this noise I’m hearing about Brian Kelly becoming the Head Football Coach at LSU?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now there’s an eyebrow raiser……. 8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 pm

I have heard that too. Kelly is gone from his dream job.

It seems no job is safe.

I really hope Luke doesn’t go to Southbend. Fickell is a great recruiter. He knows all the high school coaches in the
Midwest. That would me a bad move for Ohio State.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:36 am

Yup, Kelly is packing up and going south ...

I'm wondering just how sudden this really was, though.

There was a 5 star QB recruit at an ND game, who was said to have committed to LSU at the time. The commentary chatter said he had reopened his recruiting when Ogeron was fired. I think the timing is a little too convenient. Especially when no other word about him, or ND recruiting him after that trip.

Kelly may have been recruiting him, just not to play here.

Whenever Kelly was asked about potential openings elsewhere, he mostly gave the same lazy run of the mill answers. But his facial expressions weren't very convincing.

Personally, I hadn't given much credence in Kelly's options. I must admit, though, all of the chatter was about him going to LA, which really didn't match, so no one took it seriously.

No one asked about LSU.

Then again, $10 million per year, over 10 years, makes him the current highest paid coach in the FBS.

Fickell might go to Notre Dame. But there are rumors here, that Marcus Freeman was hired away from Cincinnati as part of Kelly's staff, with the understanding he would be the next head coach ... to the point that Kelly himself was quoted as having said that he wants Freeman to be the next coach, after him.

We'll see how this unfolds.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 am

And ...

florida raids the Ragin' Cajuns, hiring Billy Napier away from Louisiana.

That's tough, to lose your coach just before you go to play in a conference championship game. But I expected Napier to be picked up by a bigger program. I'm almost a bit surprised it took this long.

He will be coaching the Sun Belt Title game, still it's got to be a distraction.

I'd say they should have offered him one of those contract extensions, with a pay upgrade, but let's face it. UL-Lafayette can't compete with SEC $$$$$$$$

I haven't seen the contract he got with the lizards. I venture to say it's substantially more.

It's a nice hire, too.

He really emphasizes solid play on both sides of the ball. And his schemes on offense are difficult to defend.

My guess, is uf wanted a young guy with momentum. He's sitting on a 39-12 record as head coach, 32-5 over the last 4 seasons. And the landfill ... err ... swamp, is a place where a guy like that could be for several years.

That is, unless he has nfl aspirations.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:14 am

If Marcus Freemen doesn’t get the head coaching job, look for him to get offered the defensive coordinator job at Ohio State.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Finally……… a Fresh Face enters the fracas, but a James Franklin disciple????? :| :| :|

Well, at least Frank Beamer and Bud Foster were involved in the decision making…. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-reports/

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:02 pm

Mountainman wrote:Finally……… a Fresh Face enters the fracas, but a James Franklin disciple????? :| :| :|

Well, at least Frank Beamer and Bud Foster were involved in the decision making…. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-reports/

At least they didn't leave another head coach vacancy by poaching another school's top guy.

But, it shows how these guys wanted to put emphasis on the defensive deficiencies the Hokies have been plagued with.

If he's smart, like Kalani Sitake was; he'll hire an OC who will head all of the recruiting targets on that side of the ball.

Let's see if Pry gets it.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Spence wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:As Mountainman has already informed us of the pending move:

I think he knew the week after USC fired Helton.

I believe it was all of the "i"s & "t"s that needed to be dotted & crossed ...

Riley's contract is crazy, from the details I could gather.

I don't know how many years he inked, but he's getting $110 million.

Also, Riley was having a house built, and preparing to move, not having yet sold his current residence --- USC is buying out both of those houses, for $500 thousand over the asking price of each [which nets a + $1 million over house value], as well, they are buying him an LA home that is estimated at $6 million.

As per the Brian Kelly contract, this would put him in a higher pay grade than Saban.

However, with the California Tax Bracket, Riley will net less than Saban, per year, post annual government take.

Still, $110 million is a ridiculous amount.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am

Riley is also taking a bunch of recruits with him and devastaing Oklahoma's recruiting year as he goes. Making Riley and major league butt wipe in my opinion.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm

Spence wrote:Riley is also taking a bunch of recruits with him and devastaing Oklahoma's recruiting year as he goes. Making Riley and major league butt wipe in my opinion.

Yep, according to reports, OU has lost of seven 4 & 5 Star recruiting commitments for 2022 and 2023 classes.

Also, the effect will be felt by outgoing players to the transfer portal.

Spencer Rattler was obviously going to leave, irregardless. However since his announcement, 3 more names have already abandoned ship.

3 Junior Players all from the 2019 recruiting class.

WR Theo Wease -- was a 5 star recruit
WR Jadon Haselwood -- was a 5 star recruit
TE Austin Stogner -- was a 4 star recruit

All had significant playing time under Riley, and major upside with their presence on the field.

Not to let a good crisis go to waste; fsu smelling blood in the water, had football staff on campus in Norman, yesterday, to talk with potential transfer options.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”