First Time in 117 years....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: First Time in 117 years....

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Ohio State has played the equivalent of September and part or October. That team is not ready for prime time. They haven’t found a go to running back and the defensive backfield is awful at times. The defensive line is a work in progress and the linebackers are basically the same sorry bunch from last year.

I don’t think a team that has only played six games should make it into the playoff, champion or not. They can’t possibly of had enough reps unless they are a veteran team, which Ohio State is not.

You’ve questioned the Buckeyes’ overall play since their first game, and you know the Buckeyes........ that’s why I was dumbfounded when Jimbo Fisher said ‘No’ to a make-up game that very well could have got the Aggies in the playoff with a win. :shock:

My assumption is, Jimbo would rather have the chips fall in his favor, or bust ...

If havoc happens, with the right teams losing, A&M gets the nod to play while sitting idly by watching & waiting.

If the favorites should all go on to win, and someone slides past A&M in the rankings, then Jimbo can play politician and complain his way to a highly ranked recruiting class. [whiny little pissants who have the media's ear have a far reaching voice]

Is he a coward ..?

Sure!

Is he savvy .?.

Absolutely!

You know, you could very well be right....... I never thought of it that way. And you know, Notre Dame has beaten Clemson once already this season...... now if that happens again in the ACC Title Game, and considering the CFP Committee has never put a 2 loss team in the playoff, maybe ole Jimbo slips right into that 4 spot. That’s the way it’s done nowadays, why risk playing and losing when you can slip in the back door while sitting on the couch eating nachos, drinking beer and watching somebody else lose..... instead of going out and winning it on the field. :lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 am

Why would Jimbo schedule Ohio State on three days notice? No film, no schemeing..a lot on the line. And little to gain. And where would you play on three days notice? OSU travel to Texas? A&M travel to Ohio? The Liberty Bowl as a compromise? It is half way....

But anyway..it is a MOOT point and all theoretical...The Big Ten has a prohibition against playing out of conference and has already stiff armed Nebraska...and has not yet relented on the prohibition.

Oklahoma's Riley said that they wanted to play OSU...no call from the Buckeyes...Even Riley said that the logistics would be tough.
Last edited by billybud on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:13 am

Jimbo didn't do anything. He said that he had no interest if given notice on a Wednesday prior..but there is no evidence that Ohio State did either.....

But if I were Jimbo and had the call actually come, I would have snorted..."So...on a couple of days notice you want us to travel to the Shoe to take Michigan's place in order to give you a data point ? "

Fans wanted to see such a match up...but it seems neither program was interested,,,,Oklahoma raised their hand and said "me, me"...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:23 am

billybud wrote:Why would Jimbo schedule Ohio State on three days notice? No film, no schemeing..a lot on the line. And little to gain. And where would you play on three days notice? OSU travel to Texas? A&M travel to Ohio? The Liberty Bowl as a compromise? It is half way....

But anyway..it is a MOOT point and all theoretical...The Big Ten has a prohibition against playing out of conference and has already stiff armed Nebraska...and has not yet relented on the prohibition.

Oklahoma's Riley said that they wanted to play OSU...no call from the Buckeyes...Even Riley said that the logistics would be tough.

What ‘point’ are you referring to as “moot” and “theoretical” :?: :?: :?:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:27 am

billybud wrote:Jimbo didn't do anything. He said that he had no interest if given notice on a Wednesday prior..but there is no evidence that Ohio State did either.....

But if I were Jimbo and had the call actually come, I would have snorted..."So...on a couple of days notice you want us to travel to the Shoe to take Michigan's place in order to give you a data point ? "

Fans wanted to see such a match up...but it seems neither program was interested,,,,Oklahoma raised their hand and said "me, me"...

Ohio State wouldn't have made the call in the first place. For the same reasons you mentioned and because they would have had more to lose. The whole thing was a media creation anyway since the B1G said that there would be no OOC games period. They are on record with precedence saying they would not allow it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Spence...talk of Jimbo being a "coward" or Ohio State actually asking to play is moot....Jimbo did say that the notion of scheduling a game with that much on the line with three days notice was crazy..... Ohio State was not going to ask...and if they did, they might have been too cowardly to pick up and visit Texas on that short notice. If I were Jimbo, I'd say..."well, come on down".

So...the whole conversation is moot and based on a theoretical proposition...capische?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 pm

And here it is...Dabo calls out the Big Ten....says Ohio state, if 6-0, should not go ahead of a 10-1 team....less risk in a six game schedule....You can alwaya count on Dabo to be uncontroversial..LOL

https://247sports.com/Article/Dabo-Swin ... GwuEV9dL-w

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:58 pm

billybud wrote:Spence...talk of Jimbo being a "coward" or Ohio State actually asking to play is moot....Jimbo did say that the notion of scheduling a game with that much on the line with three days notice was crazy..... Ohio State was not going to ask...and if they did, they might have been too cowardly to pick up and visit Texas on that short notice. If I were Jimbo, I'd say..."well, come on down".

So...the whole conversation is moot and based on a theoretical proposition...capische?

No doubt Ohio State wouldn't make the call or make the flight into DFW now.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:05 pm

billybud wrote:And here it is...Dabo calls out the Big Ten....says Ohio state, if 6-0, should not go ahead of a 10-1 team....less risk in a six game schedule....You can alwaya count on Dabo to be uncontroversial..LOL
https://247sports.com/Article/Dabo-Swin ... GwuEV9dL-w

Dabo is his biggest fan. Had the shoe been on the other foot he would be saying we played the scthedule in front of us and won all of our games. We can only do what we control. - in fact he has used that logic before.

Actually though, I agree that Ohio State shouldn't be in with only 6 games to their credit, but I also believe that if ND beats Clemson again Dabo will be making another argument about why a two loss Clemson should be in because they had to play the same team twice and the fact that Covid caused his team to be in this position. After all, they wouldn't have even had to play the Domers if not for Covid.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Heck...Clemson lost to a top team in the country, in a tight overtime game, while having their star QB sidelined with Covid....and playing a true freshman back up.

If Clemson beats Notre Dame in the rematch...I'd lobby that a 9-1 Clemson and a 9-1 Notre Dame should be in the CFP before a team that played six games.....I don't blame Dabo for lobbying...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:44 pm

billybud wrote:Spence...talk of Jimbo being a "coward" or Ohio State actually asking to play is moot....Jimbo did say that the notion of scheduling a game with that much on the line with three days notice was crazy..... Ohio State was not going to ask...and if they did, they might have been too cowardly to pick up and visit Texas on that short notice. If I were Jimbo, I'd say..."well, come on down".

The question the sports reporter ask of Jimbo was hypothetical and given the context at the time the question was asked made the question appropriate given the circumstances. Jimbo did indeed say “No”. Also he did mention the 3 days prep time, which would have been exactly the same amount of time Ohio State would have had to prep for the Aggies. 8) 8) 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:30 am

Jimbo said.."i think you're being a little crazy with it" to the reporter...and if someone had asked Ohio State's coach, he would say the same.....

His actual remarks..

[size=150]“You'd be considering it. But I think on Wednesday, I mean, I think you're being a little bit crazy with it because you know that from game preparation and to get the quality of game you want to do, I don't think you would... Because if you want to go into that game for both of us, there's a lot on the line. You would want to be prepared for the game. Now, to play them? Yeah, it doesn't bother me to play them. I'd love to play them. Play them in the playoff. Line up and play them. Whatever it is. I think on a Wednesday, I think would be a very tough thing to do on a game that means so much.”
[/size]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:32 am

And I certainly think Jimbo was correct on this....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:35 am

But if the Buckeyes really had wanted to play...Oklahoma was ready...

Speaking with media members on Thursday, Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley said that he would say yes to a matchup with Ohio State if the Buckeyes hypothetically reached out. Of course, the Big Ten has prohibited its schools from playing in non-conference games in 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns -- something Riley acknowledged -- but that didn't stop the fourth-year Sooners head coach from discussing a theoretical top 15 showdown as the Sooners currently prepare to go for a sixth consecutive Big 12 title on Dec. 19.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:23 pm

So, in the same breath, Jimbo Fisher can say, ‘I would love to play Ohio State, but no, I don’t want to play Ohio State.’ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every time Jimbo opens his mouth I think of what P.T. Barnum said. :wink:

Ole Jimbo will keep selling ii as long as people keep buying it...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”