First Time in 117 years....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

First Time in 117 years....

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:08 pm

There will be no Ohio State-Michigan game. Due to Covid and Michigan not being able to field a team being without 45 players. It is a real shame not just for Ohio State players, but for Michigan players too. The game hasn't been competitive recently, but there are still lots of players on both sides that come to their propective schools just to play in this game. Not even the spanish flu stopped this game. For me, it makes the rest of the season anticlimatic no matter how the rest of the season plays out. This is all on the B1G and their stupidity in handling this whole thing.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: First Time in 117 years....

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 pm

..........I’m anxiously awaiting the BIG decision on how to proceed with the regular season and the conference championship game.

Since my notion about one’s past performance being the best measure of one’s future performance....... I suspect they’ll do something stupid again. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 am

I’m not sure it matters. I don’t believe a team work only plays 5 or 6 games should be eligible. I would think 8 would be a more reasonable measure of a team’s worth.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:50 am

The Big Ten will make Ohio State eligible for the championship game even though they don't meet the current criteria...

Indiana would represent the East Division and Northwestern would represent the West Division in the Big Ten Championship Game under the current rules requiring at least six games.

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren will speak with "stakeholders" within the conference to discuss the current requirements for teams to be eligible for the championship game set for Dec. 19. The minimum threshold of six games has all-but eliminated Wisconsin and No. 4 Ohio State (5-0) from contention, but discussions about tiebreakers and scheduling are scheduled to begin this afternoon.

"Again, one of the things I've said since Day 1 is we're operating in unprecedented times," Warren said. "No one has ever played collegiate sports in the middle of a pandemic, so we need to make sure we remain fluid and that we do remain nimble during these times.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 am

Rag on Swofford a little...but the Big will take his lead...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:43 am

My pick is the the BIG punts the issue and just simply lets the Playoff Committee decide. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:09 pm

TheB10 can’t rag on anyone else’s handling of this season.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm

Just a couple of observations after today’s happenings.

First, yesterday, before the BIG’s decision to make a rule change, Jimbo Fisher when asked said ‘NO’ when asked if he would play Ohio State this season in a make-up game due to COVID Cancellations, like Coastal Carolina and BYU did, this season. Sooooo, ole Jimbo has turned down a potential opportunity for the Aggies to make the CFP, confirming my suspicion that he truly is a gutless crap.

Next, although it would be an act of providence, I am hopeful that the CFP Championship Game pits Clemson and Notre Dame for a THIRD FREAKIN’ TIME THIS SEASON!!! :lol: :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 pm

Mountainman wrote:My pick is the the BIG punts the issue and just simply lets the Playoff Committee decide. :wink:

If OSU isn't in the championship game...The Big 10 champ will go in the Final Four befor OSU...

Clemson, Alabama, Big Ten Champ, Iowa State

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:25 pm

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:My pick is the the BIG punts the issue and just simply lets the Playoff Committee decide. :wink:

If OSU isn't in the championship game...The Big 10 champ will go in the Final Four befor OSU...

Clemson, Alabama, Big Ten Champ, Iowa State

Well, the Buckeyes are going to be in the championship game and IMHO will win it, and I would think by a bunch........ and if a 2 loss Iowa State makes it that would be an outrage, the Big XII is not close to having a championship contender this season. Hell, I just shook my head when I saw where the CFP Committee ranked the Cyclones above Cincinnati this week...... I’m doubtful that Iowa State will beat Oklahoma in the conference title game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 pm

Ohio State has played the equivalent of September and part or October. That team is not ready for prime time. They haven’t found a go to running back and the defensive backfield is awful at times. The defensive line is a work in progress and the linebackers are basically the same sorry bunch from last year.

I don’t think a team that has only played six games should make it into the playoff, champion or not. They can’t possibly of had enough reps unless they are a veteran team, which Ohio State is not.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:43 pm

Spence wrote:Ohio State has played the equivalent of September and part or October. That team is not ready for prime time. They haven’t found a go to running back and the defensive backfield is awful at times. The defensive line is a work in progress and the linebackers are basically the same sorry bunch from last year.

I don’t think a team that has only played six games should make it into the playoff, champion or not. They can’t possibly of had enough reps unless they are a veteran team, which Ohio State is not.

You’ve questioned the Buckeyes’ overall play since their first game, and you know the Buckeyes........ that’s why I was dumbfounded when Jimbo Fisher said ‘No’ to a make-up game that very well could have got the Aggies in the playoff with a win. :shock:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:39 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Ohio State has played the equivalent of September and part or October. That team is not ready for prime time. They haven’t found a go to running back and the defensive backfield is awful at times. The defensive line is a work in progress and the linebackers are basically the same sorry bunch from last year.

You’ve questioned the Buckeyes’ overall play since their first game, and you know the Buckeyes........ that’s why I was dumbfounded when Jimbo Fisher said ‘No’ to a make-up game that very well could have got the Aggies in the playoff with a win. :shock:

My assumption is, Jimbo would rather have the chips fall in his favor, or bust ...

If havoc happens, with the right teams losing, A&M gets the nod to play while sitting idly by watching & waiting.

If the favorites should all go on to win, and someone slides past A&M in the rankings, then Jimbo can play politician and complain his way to a highly ranked recruiting class. [whiny little pissants who have the media's ear have a far reaching voice]

Is he a coward ..?

Sure!

Is he savvy .?.

Absolutely!

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:17 am

Mountainman wrote:

I don’t know why he said no. It was never going to happen. The B1G could let Ohio State have an OOC game after forbidding Nebraska to do earlier this year. He had nothing to lose by saying yes.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:59 pm

At least Notre Dame has played 10 games....and Clemson has played 10...when #2 meets #3 in the ACC Championship game, it will be the 11th game for both teams....

That 12/19 game will be huge.....

Now, if Clemson beats Notre Dame...going into CFP selection.... you will have a 10-1 ACC team and a 10-1 ACC team ....competing with either a 6-0 Ohio State or 7-1 Northwestern....an 8-2 Oklahoma or a 9-2 Iowa State,...and either a 5-0 USC or a 4-1 Washington or a 5-0 Colorado....A 10-0 Bama goes in...a 9-1 Florida might....does a 9-1 Bama go in as a conference loser?

I could see the Irish losing a close one to Clemson and still get in....with a 10-1 record.

Return to “General Discussion”