Congratulations South ALabama

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Congratulations South ALabama

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:48 am

Tonight, the Jaguars won their first away game since beating Troy, October 11th 2017.
This ended the nations longest road losing streak.

Season is under way.

UAB won tonight as well; setting a new Conference USA record, by extending their Home winning streak to 19 games, dating back to their Season Opener in 2017. The year the reinstated the Football Program.

The South Alabama / Southern Miss game had its moments. The score is not really reflective of the way the game went. Southern Miss had a few chances, but simply couldn't capitalize on those opportunities. And when South Alabama was clicking, the game seemed maybe a little too fast for Southern Miss.

Central Arkansas started off with intensity. They got deep into UAB's territory quickly, effectively running the ball. Then, they changed their game plan, and went into pass mode. Which was their downfall.

3 plays later they were in a 4th down field goal situation ... They missed.

UAB went down the field methodically, and put the ball into the end zone.

Watching them play, it made me think they were taking their time on purpose. As if to play ball control. It might be shades of things to come in their next game against Miami. Everyone knows Rhett Lashlee's offensive is uptempo. So, UAB could be preparing to play keep away.

After getting up, 28-7, the Blazers then had the ball, looking to turn the game into a rout. Then, after two quick turnovers, Central Ark got back into the game, shaving the deficit down to just a 7 point game, 28-21 at the halftime break.

That's when the moment got too big for C. Arkansas ...

Before you knew it, the score went up to 45-21. Central Ark did manage to mount some offense, getting back within 10. But it was just too little, too late.

Final, UAB 45 - Central Arkansas 35

In the Southern Miss/South Alabama outing; you could see the fatigue in the players.

It was obvious they didn't get enough time in practice to adjust to a full game experience. If I'm watching these teams play, as a coaching staff of another program. I'm taking note, and putting an emphasis on stamina/conditioning in practice.

There were some explosive plays, which was a welcome delight after all of the hubbub about not having any football.

Saturday, we'll have 6 games. That will give us a feel of things being in actual season mode.

Anyhow, with College Football back, we have a small sense of normalcy return to us. And that feels pretty good.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Congratulations South ALabama

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:54 am

As for the picks ...

Well, we all took the same teams this week, so we are all 50% to start.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:39 am

Yep, Southern Miss just wasn’t sharp at all, their O-line looked out of sync while South Alabama’s aggressive defense just had them confused and overwhelmed. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Meanwhile ...

Marshall & Army are all over Eastern Kentucky & Middle Tennessee.

We've got 2 shutouts brewing.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:35 am

Well....I missed the Southern Miss/UAB pick....first miss of the season....but it was a good set of games...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:14 am

Coach resigns after first game of the season........ :?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ll-season/
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:05 pm

Mountainman wrote:Coach resigns after first game of the season........ :?

Yeah, I was going to mention that when I posted the Predictions.

Apparently he wanted to hire Art Briles as his offensive Coordinator, but the admin wouldn't allow it.

There was quite a bit of friction in that program, so he got out while the getting was good.

I dunno if they'll be very promising in their games to come. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Coach resigns after first game of the season........ :?

Yeah, I was going to mention that when I posted the Predictions.

Apparently he wanted to hire Art Briles as his offensive Coordinator, but the admin wouldn't allow it.

There was quite a bit of friction in that program, so he got out while the getting was good.

I dunno if they'll be very promising in their games to come. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Understandable, lots of behind the scenes goings on in college football. I’ve been told by a number of assistant coaches and staff members that loose lips about the behind the scenes stuff that goes on will get you not only canned from your job but also get you black balled from getting another job. Like they say, ‘What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas’. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”