Will the NCAA Survive........

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Will the NCAA Survive........

Postby Mountainman » Fri May 29, 2020 12:19 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Will the NCAA Survive........

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri May 29, 2020 1:56 am

I'll say this ...

The article says the Power5 set themselves up for it by developing their organization the way they did.

That is false.

This all started back when the BCS formed. That is where the Antitrust lawsuits initiated. Now, those schools in the Group of 5 pushed themselves out the door, by pressing for a more fair model.

The courts are no longer dealing with Conferences and Bowl mock ups. They're hearing over Players monetary value, and the NCAA Amateur status.

I've been saying this was the likeliest outcome when they inked the Playoff deal.

Eventually, the Group of 5 would no longer be in the same division.

As for the AAC ...

They can make all the claims they want, about deserved. But, unless the designers of a Top Tier Division choose to include them; they'll have zero say in the matter.

The only way they get in, isn't by winning. It's by drawing revenue through ratings.

Without that, they have no leverage.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Appears to me, going forward, if the NCAA is to survive as a ‘governing body’ of College Athletics that actually governs College Athletics they’re going to have to be significant structural, organizational and administrative changes to their current business model. :roll:

.........and good place to start would be to have a 16 team for the FBS Schools made-up of Regular Season Conference Champs and 6 Wild Card teams, and stop selling out to private interests, such as ESPN, that come with the private interests telling NCAA how to run their business and stop letting the tail wag the the dog. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri May 29, 2020 4:22 pm

Whats the difference between the NCAA and the Fed's??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri May 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Derek wrote:Whats the difference between the NCAA and the Fed's??

Well, one is a group of smiling power hungry and self serving narcissist who lie, steal, cheat, connive, exploit and deceive in the name of the common good and the other is ......... uh, hmmmmm, uh, I’ll have to get back with you...... :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm

I've never been a fan of the arbitrary way the NCAA operates. I do like the amateur model. I hope they find a way to let it survive this situation. The problem with the NCAA is that they represent the school. They are basically the schools admitting they really can't police themselves. If the schools would abide by the rules they would be ok. Instead the schools break the rules and then punish the athlete.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am

Spence wrote:I've never been a fan of the arbitrary way the NCAA operates. I do like the amateur model. I hope they find a way to let it survive this situation. The problem with the NCAA is that they represent the school. They are basically the schools admitting they really can't police themselves. If the schools would abide by the rules they would be ok. Instead the schools break the rules and then punish the athlete.

That is exactly right.

And then you have the espns of the world, telling the average viewer how they should want things to actually be; based upon a poll designed to get the answer espn wants.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun May 31, 2020 6:59 am

espn, cnn...they operate similarly.

Tell the public what they should be thinking.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun May 31, 2020 11:22 am

Spence wrote:I've never been a fan of the arbitrary way the NCAA operates. I do like the amateur model. I hope they find a way to let it survive this situation. The problem with the NCAA is that they represent the school. They are basically the schools admitting they really can't police themselves. If the schools would abide by the rules they would be ok. Instead the schools breal the rules and then punish the athlete.

Couldn’t agree more........ Sadly, the issues the NCAA is facing are a result of the actions and deeds of its own members.

“A house divided against itself cannot stand. “ ~ Mark 3:25, as quoted by Abraham Lincoln. 8)

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun May 31, 2020 5:10 pm

billybud wrote:espn, cnn...they operate similarly.

Exactly!!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun May 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Derek wrote:

Exactly!!

ditto

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 pm

That is how all media operates today and the sheep from whatever side they agree with flock to them. The media have been getting people to choose up sides for years now and everntually they are going to get their explosion.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 am

My goodness...... all things considered, at this point in time, I don’t believe these guys could sit down and agree what color a lemon is........ :? :? :?

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/02/c ... all-return

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm

............as I mentioned in a previous post about the consequence of a house being divided.

:| :|

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ss-rights/

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:38 am

Florida Governor signs NIL Bill into law. :?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -likeness/

Return to “General Discussion”