Bowl Season

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bowl Season

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Georgia is doing their part in sending the B12 into the Stone Age.

Hopefully the ‘The Spread is Dead’........ and hopefully the Big XII realizes that and gets back to playing football, where defense and special teams and running the football matter, and thus the era of ‘Basketball on Grass’ will take its appropriate place in the ‘Graveyard of Innovative Gimmickry’ right beside the Wishbone. :wink:

Those offenses work when there is only a few teams that run them so it is an oddity to game plan for them. When everyone is running it, it is harder. Oklahoma and Texas are putting a priority on defense. Everyone will follow them. The offense Oklahoma uses isn't bad, but defense can't be an after thought if you want to win. Too many times that team's defense puts the offense in a position where it can't fully function.

Michigan, even with Patterson not hitting wide open receivers, hung with Bama when their defensive line was playing good in the first half. When Alabama started exploiting their linebackers they didn't make adjustments and the worm turned. Even if Alabama isn't as strong as usual they still have outstanding coaching who now how to make game adjustments. That has been an issue for Michigan during the whole Harbaugh era. Don Brown is a very good coach, but he needs to not be so rigid in his plan and allow for adjustments.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Mountainman wrote:Merry Christmas everyone....... :D

BYU gave Hawaii an early Christmas Present on Christmas Eve....... I’m suspect that Cane and Highfly must have either shook the present and figured out what it was or saw the gift before the BYU Coaching Staff got it wrapped and knew it was a BRAIN FART!!!!!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

--- I merely took the advise of a departed friend ---

donovan wrote:Never take the away team in Hawaii if they have not been there for some time. Too much distraction. Was a fun game to watch...good for Hawaii.

donovan wrote:1. I have to become a Hawaii is real, believer. An impressive win over Nevada and they used the "fumblerooksi;" FSU's greatest contribution to the game of football.

The whole State of Utah is reeling after this Bowl Season.

The Aggies lost to the Golden Flashes
The Cougars lost to the Rainbow Warriors
The Utes lost to the Longhorns

I'm guessing the Mormons are glad to be in basketball season.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 pm

I remember when he wrote that and it makes sense. If I went to Hawaii for work, I would guess not much work would be done. I can almost guarantee it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Merry Christmas everyone....... :D

BYU gave Hawaii an early Christmas Present on Christmas Eve....... I’m suspect that Cane and Highfly must have either shook the present and figured out what it was or saw the gift before the BYU Coaching Staff got it wrapped and knew it was a BRAIN FART!!!!!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

--- I merely took the advise of a departed friend ---

donovan wrote:Never take the away team in Hawaii if they have not been there for some time. Too much distraction. Was a fun game to watch...good for Hawaii.

donovan wrote:1. I have to become a Hawaii is real, believer. An impressive win over Nevada and they used the "fumblerooksi;" FSU's greatest contribution to the game of football.

The whole State of Utah is reeling after this Bowl Season.

The Aggies lost to the Golden Flashes
The Cougars lost to the Rainbow Warriors
The Utes lost to the Longhorns

I'm guessing the Mormons are glad to be in basketball season.

Well, it’s not the location that matters...... anywhere there are Mai Tai’s by the pitcher, lovely Polynesian Ladies Hula Dancing in bare midriff, and babes by the bundle in scanty bikinis roaming around everywhere...... it’s no wonder that “distraction” is an issue for a football team full of young men. :lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Hopefully the ‘The Spread is Dead’........ and hopefully the Big XII realizes that and gets back to playing football, where defense and special teams and running the football matter, and thus the era of ‘Basketball on Grass’ will take its appropriate place in the ‘Graveyard of Innovative Gimmickry’ right beside the Wishbone. :wink:

Those offenses work when there is only a few teams that run them so it is an oddity to game plan for them. When everyone is running it, it is harder. Oklahoma and Texas are putting a priority on defense. Everyone will follow them. The offense Oklahoma uses isn't bad, but defense can't be an after thought if you want to win. Too many times that team's defense puts the offense in a position where it can't fully function.

Michigan, even with Patterson not hitting wide open receivers, hung with Bama when their defensive line was playing good in the first half. When Alabama started exploiting their linebackers they didn't make adjustments and the worm turned. Even if Alabama isn't as strong as usual they still have outstanding coaching who now how to make game adjustments. That has been an issue for Michigan during the whole Harbaugh era. Don Brown is a very good coach, but he needs to not be so rigid in his plan and allow for adjustments.

I’ve a thought that Harbaugh won’t be around much longer in Ann Arbor..... from what I’m seeing he’s not the man for the job and I don’t believe Michigan wants to be the 4th best program in the conference.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:47 pm

They don’t, but at this point I don’t know who they can get that is better. Michigan is not an especially good recruiting ground. Their best years were teams filled with Ohio boys. They have only won 1 national championship since 1948. The job comes with huge expectations and a very steep hill to climb. Harbaugh has had 3 10 win seasons. More than their last two coaches combined. I’m not sure any established coach would take the job. Maybe they could give Charles Woodson the job. He is especially uncomfortable with the current state of affairs of Michigan football. He still has plenty of relatives in Ohio.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Mountainman wrote:

I doubt Ga has the ability to send anyone into the stone age with that inept offense. They did have a lot of starters missing....which brings up another topic I want to vent on. Starting new thread....
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 pm

I’m watching Tennessee and Indiana play in the Taxslayer Gator Bowl...... it appears to me as if Tennessee and my Beloved Mountaineers have a lot in common, as they both can move the ball pretty efficiently into the Red Zone, BUT CANNOT GET THE darn BALL OVER THE FREAKIN GOAL LINE!!!!!

My prayers that I would never, ever, ever, ever have to watch this stuff again have fallen on deaf ears....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:16 pm

Indiana’s offense is overmatched though.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Indiana can’t get a receiver open. After a whole half it is 6-3 Tennessee. A titanic struggle.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:37 pm

.......if that had been the Mountaineers instead of the Volunteers, it would have been 7 - 6 at the half. :oops:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:46 pm

:lol:
Mountainman wrote:.......if that had been the Mountaineers instead of the Volunteers, it would have been 7 - 6 at the half. :oops:
:lol:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Spence wrote:They don’t, but at this point I don’t know who they can get that is better. Michigan is not an especially good recruiting ground. Their best years were teams filled with Ohio boys. They have only won 1 national championship since 1948. The job comes with huge expectations and a very steep hill to climb. Harbaugh has had 3 10 win seasons. More than their last two coaches combined. I’m not sure any established coach would take the job. Maybe they could give Charles Woodson the job. He is especially uncomfortable with the current state of affairs of Michigan football. He still has plenty of relatives in Ohio.

Neil Brown, the new 1st year coach at WVU, said during one of his weekly pressers when a question about recruiting came up, that while he was calling high school coaches to introduce himself that his biggest surprise was that the high school coaches had told him WVU had pretty much stopped recruiting Ohio. He then said, ‘I was really surprised to here that, and it will be our priority to re-establish Ohio as part of the Mountaineer Recruiting Base.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 pm

That would be smart. Ohio, Georgia, and Florida is where WVU recruited when they had success.

If Indiana beats Tennessee will they get kicked out of the SEC?

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 pm

Anyone see that Tennessee Fan standing-up, waving his arms, shaking his fist and yelling in anger and frustration after Tennessee’s last series????? You ain’t seen nuttin’ till you’ve seen 60+thousand Mountaineer Fans do that in unison........ Good Grief. :(

Return to “General Discussion”