Bowl Season

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Bowl Season

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:04 am

And Clemson's win helps my points...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:04 am

billybud wrote:Good game....Best yet !

Could have been better. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 am

I guess this is the ad that I should have posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAEoh-O_RI4

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:08 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:___________________________________________

I guess this is the ad that I should have posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAEoh-O_RI4

No. Not nearly butt cool. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:09 am

Spence...it could have been...but it was a darn good match....not like LSU-Oklahoma

Today was good for me...I had Penn State and Clemson win.

Now if only Florida would stumble against Virginia....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:13 am

I just hope Clemson won't be too gassed when they face LSU.

When Etienne ran into the end zone, I thought, wow, that was a mistake.

It's hard to think that way with the ball in your hand, under 2 minutes, and being down by 2 points. But if he goes down there, inside the 5, they have a first down, with the option to run the ball, kill some clock and force OSU to call a timeout. Plus, the field goal is basically automatic from that spot.

in the end it didn't matter. But the Buckeyes did march the field rather quickly.

Amazing Game ...

Great Season, Ohio State.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:14 am

billybud wrote:Spence...it could have been...but it was a darn good match....not like LSU-Oklahoma

True; Every half point counts.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:40 am

billybud wrote:Spence...it could have been...but it was a darn good match....not like LSU-Oklahoma

It was a good game. Ohio State has the chance to win it in the end. Either Olave or Fields we’re confused on the int play. Clemson capitalized on Ohio State mistakes. You can’t make that many miscues against a good team and win. It sucks because this team was good, but even if Ohio State made it through, they are probably too beat up put up a good fight against LSU.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:19 am

Spence wrote:

It was a good game. Ohio State has the chance to win it in the end. Either Olave or Fields we’re confused on the int play. Clemson capitalized on Ohio State mistakes. You can’t make that many miscues against a good team and win. It sucks because this team was good, but even if Ohio State made it through, they are probably too beat up put up a good fight against LSU.

Maybe they would have been too beat up, but they should IMHO be off to New Orleans to take on LSU...... as I believe the officials got it right but the guys who reviewed the play blew the call on the defensive TD scored by the Buckeyes on the ball that was stripped from a Clemson receiver and returned for a TD and then “after review” was called an incomplete pass. I’m confident we’ll be seeing and hearing more about that play. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

Maybe they would have been too beat up, but they should IMHO be off to New Orleans to take on LSU...... as I believe the officials got it right but the guys who reviewed the play blew the call on the defensive TD scored by the Buckeyes on the ball that was stripped from a Clemson receiver and returned for a TD and then “after review” was called an incomplete pass. I’m confident we’ll be seeing and hearing more about that play. :roll:

I think it was wrong to overturn it too, but I have always been against replay for that reason - over analyzing what happened. Still Ohio State had a chance to win it in the end despite that and didn’t execute. And I’m sure Clemson thought the refs missed a couple that went Ohio State’s way too. In the end, you have to make plays when it counts and Ohio State made one fewer than Clemson.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:57 am

In the replay, you can see the ball held out as he tries to bring it into his body...which he never did...the officials, I guess, determined that he didn't "secure it and make a football move with clear control of the ball" (the rule) before having it knocked out.

It was close enough to call it either way. And a tough call for Buckeye fans in such an important game.

All in all...my early prediction of a Clemson vs the Alabama-LSU winner in the Final was right...although hardly surprising.

Ohio State is obviously one of three who can claim being one of the two best teams in the country.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:07 am

The only thing that really matters in the end is what the officials called in the end. It doesn’t matter what we think or even if they decide later it was wrong and say it was wrong. What happened happened and Ohio State should have over came it if they were in the top 2. They didn’t.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Spence wrote:The only thing that really matters in the end is what the officials called in the end. It doesn’t matter what we think or even if they decide later it was wrong and say it was wrong. What happened happened and Ohio State should have over came it if they were in the top 2. They didn’t.

As far as the the outcome of the game goes I agree, it’s over, and no amount of would’ve, could’ve, or should’ve will or should change the outcome. BUT, IMHO, based solely on what I saw on the replay, that a player can catch a ball with both hands, take three steps and then have a defender punch the ball out of the receiver’s hands not be a fumble....... what I would like to have is an explanation of why it was not a fumble from the guys that made the call that it wasn’t, they may know something or saw something I didn’t. :roll:

.......and btw, again IMHO, what the difference in the game was the Buckeyes failing to contain the Clemson quarterback and possession penalties. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:The only thing that really matters in the end is what the officials called in the end. It doesn’t matter what we think or even if they decide later it was wrong and say it was wrong. What happened happened and Ohio State should have over came it if they were in the top 2. They didn’t.

As far as the the outcome of the game goes I agree, it’s over, and no amount of would’ve, could’ve, or should’ve will or should change the outcome. BUT, IMHO, based solely on what I saw on the replay, that a player can catch a ball with both hands, take three steps and then have a defender punch the ball out of the receiver’s hands not be a fumble....... what I would like to have is an explanation of why it was not a fumble from the guys that made the call that it wasn’t, they may know something or saw something I didn’t. :roll:

.......and btw, again IMHO, what the difference in the game was the Buckeyes failing to contain the Clemson quarterback and possession penalties. 8)

The explanation was that the ball was moving in the receivers hands before it was stripped. I didn’t see that in the replay. The targeting was probably a good call, but you could argue Lawrence was a runner at that point. The rule is so vague it is hard to argue with it no matter what they rule.
I also agree that if the Buckeye’s stop Lawrence from running those calls- right or wrong- wouldn’t have mattered.

I think Ohio State was the better team in that game. Sometimes the better team doesn’t win. In the 2002 Championship Miami was the better team. Ohio State still isn’t giving up that trophy. 8) :lol:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

The explanation was that the ball was moving in the receivers hands before it was stripped. I didn’t see that in the replay. The targeting was probably a good call, but you could argue Lawrence was a runner at that point. The rule is so vague it is hard to argue with it no matter what they rule.
I also agree that if the Buckeye’s stop Lawrence from running those calls- right or wrong- wouldn’t have mattered.

I think Ohio State was the better team in that game. Sometimes the better team doesn’t win. In the 2002 Championship Miami was the better team. Ohio State still isn’t giving up that trophy. 8) :lol:

The bull-shirt ‘reason’ I heard was that replay guys only look at the play in ‘real-time’ and don’t use slow-motion...... it rings so hollow when the whole replay process was sold as “we need to get it right” and then turn right around and decide not to use slow motion!!! And since when is a guy running with a football in ones’ possession NOT A FOOTBALL MOVE??? :shock:

In any event..... those possession penalties were costly, I see them the same as turnovers, and points off turnovers are a killer, and I believe Clemson had 3 scores off them, but of course the Buckeyes also had a couple of scoring opportunities they didn’t take advantage of to go along with the replay reversal on that strip and score. 8)
Last edited by Mountainman on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”