Well........

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Well........

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:40 am

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:00 pm

billybud wrote:SMU was paying the kids...was a repeat offender...and the pay for play was organized and paid by the school...not an out of control booster...

BOOM....

Kind of slowed down school organized pay of athletes...

Yes, I know the SMU story. But because of what happened to them the NCAA started going more after the kids and not hitting the schools so hard. We will see how much appetite the NCAA has to bust a program with Bill Self and Kansas. Both Self and Kansas have been pretty defiant in the wake of the FBI investigation. They have enough on them to really come down hard. And Self could end up with a show cause penalty. Maybe not as bad as the SMU situation, but they are just as defiant. But I agree that it did slow down pay for play in college football. At the very least it kept it in the shadows.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:04 pm

You would have thought Dickerson would have gotten a Mustang. :lol: I had that same T/A back in the day. It was the worst car I ever owned. The girls liked it though. It was that car that made me switch to imports. That and a better job.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Spence wrote:

You would have thought Dickerson would have gotten a Mustang. :lol: I had that same T/A back in the day. It was the worst car I ever owned. The girls liked it though. It was that car that made me switch to imports. That and a better job.

The Trans Am came from Texas A&M....... and he must have traded it for a Mustang, because it disappeared. :lol: Dickerson never came clean about who the $50,000 in a briefcase was from, :shock:

......btw, way I rode around in a Road Runner, Forrest Green and Cragers all around.... Varooooooom!!!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:51 pm

I had one. '68 with a 383. It was green. Not forrest green though, it was lighter. I don't know the exact color. I got it in 77. I paid $900. I wish I still had it.
I also had a buddy who had a charger with a 440 mag. it would flat put you back in your seat. Those cars didn't have any power drainers like electric windows and air conditioning. They were great cars. You had to have Cragers and mopar engines lasted forever.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:17 am

Spence wrote:

You had a late 70s Trans Am?? Or an 80s one like Smokey and the Bandit 3?? BIG difference IMO.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:20 am

First car was a 1973 Ford Mustang with dual exhaust and glass packs.

Speaking of that Eric Dickerson article. I was one of those who thought that Penn State should have received the death penalty. Because I believe someone in the school faculty had to have known about it.

But the article does mention how society/NCAA is now afraid to give it because of the damage it did to SMU.....but that's exactly why it was created IMO.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:07 am

I like cars...have had 40.

My first car (purchased in 1964) was a '61 Sunbeam Alpine. My first new car was a 68 Chevelle 396...red with black buckets. My second new car was a 1970 Camaro...deep copper with tan buckets.

I have been a car masochist, having owned british sports cars....Sunbeam, TR3, TR4, TR6, Spitfire, TR7, Jag 150, Lotus Cortina.

VW's:...Dasher, Scirroco, Jetta...and a 914 (I know, but Porsche guys don't call it a Porsche). None of their AC systems could properly cool the black interiors in the Florida sun.

Honda's:...bulletproof but boring...Civics, Accord, Element

Toyota..ditto...Camry, Tacoma

Mazda's:...really liked these...2015 CX5, 2017 CX5, 2014 Mazda 3 five door (wagon)

Currently....Audi Q5 Quatro, Volvo V60, and 72 El Camino
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm pretty boring with what I drive now. I have Honda's. Accord and Odyssey. I traded dangerous for indestructible.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:28 pm

billybud wrote:I like cars...have had 40.

My first car (purchased in 1964) was a '61 Sunbeam Alpine. My first new car was a 68 Chevelle 396...red with black buckets. My second new car was a 1970 Camaro...deep copper with tan buckets.

I have been a car masochist, having owned british sports cars....Sunbeam, TR3, TR4, TR6, Spitfire, TR7, Jag 150, Lotus Cortina.

VW's:...Dasher, Scirroco, Jetta...and a 914 (I know, but Porsche guys don't call it a Porsche). None of their AC systems could properly cool the black interiors in the Florida sun.

Honda's:...bulletproof but boring...Civics, Accord, Element

Toyota..ditto...Camry, Tacoma

Mazda's:...really liked these...2015 CX5, 2017 CX5, 2014 Mazda 3 five door (wagon)

Currently....Audi Q5 Quatro, Volvo V60, and 72 El Camino

You owned a Lotus Cortina?? That's AWESOME!!

Check out 'The Grand Tour' on Amazon Prime and their last studio episode 'Funeral for a Ford'...they talk a lot about that car in it.

I don't know if I've had 40, but in my 30 years of driving, I've probably had 15-16 cars.

Currently driving a very boring but powerful F250 Power Stroke.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”