Big Ten Conference

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:06 pm

We can't count? When we went from the B-8 to the B-10 I guess they copyrighted the name for marketing purposes. I would guess it will be the big 10 from now on even if we have 12 teams. If you go to the B-10 site and look at the designed logo there is an eleven formed from the spelling of Big Ten.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:36 pm

Seems kinda silly to me, although Big Ten is alot catchier than Big Eleven.

I think that has more to do with it theen anything. If the B-10 ever went to 12 teams we couldn't change it to B-12 so I guess B-10 is where it stays.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:08 am

The Big 8 became the Big 12. What the heck's wrong with the Big 11. It does seem pretty silly to call yourself what you're not. Add a 12th, call yourself the Big Dozen, or better yet the Dirty Dozen. :wink:
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:52 am

Add a 12th, call yourself the Big Dozen, or better yet the Dirty Dozen.

There are times when that would apply. The big ten can get a little rough sometimes.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:05 am

Isn't it because it was the big ten for a jillion years, then Penn State got tired of going undefeated and not winning the National Championship, so they joined the Big 10? That's what I thought. And yeah, I can imagine how many millions of dollars it would cost to change it to the Big 11, all the little costs add up, changing banners, logos, etc.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:12 am

I think the ship has sailed on ND joining the B-10. The B-East would be the conference for the Irish.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:37 pm

If Notre Dame joined the Big-10, I think all debate about who had the best conference would be over.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:36 pm

The reason some conferences have elected to adopt the 12-team format is because it allows them to organize a confernece championship game.
That's what was beind the ACC's 'raiding' of the Big East.
Not only did it help them, competitively, something they needed, but it also gave them the opportunity to showcase their 'best' on a national stage, within a conference title arrangement.
That's the primary reason, I'm guessing behind why some conferences have added teams recently, and I for one, believe it may continue, until there is a 'balance' among conferences.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:51 pm

Obviously you are basing your opinion on the fact there is already a Big XII, but it would'nt be that hard for both conferences to rename themselves. The Big 8 before it was the Big XII was the Big 6. And how original is that? Not very

No I'm basing my opinion on the fact that Notre Dame approached the B-10 commissioner about joining a few years ago. The B-10 then extended an offer, but when word reached the ND alumni and benefactors that Notre Dame was thinking of joining a conference they made such a stink of it ND backed out. They really hacked off the powers that be in the B-10 and I doubt that the offer will come back to them again very soon.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:32 am

i don't see it happening any time soon. the real question is what will happen first = = ND joining a conference for football or a play-off system for D1 football ?

That is a good question, one that probably has no answer.

Larry

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:37 pm

We took them guy's in because they had no place else to go. Sure - Penn State did okay this year, but look at their overall track record! I think ten teams is plenty for any conference. I also wish "split-conferences" should take a breathe and "circle the wagons". ACC/ Big TWELVE?? What's next - the BIG FIFTEEN??? I don't like it. My oppinion only, Larry.

Return to “General Discussion”