Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 pm

Playoff Poll Top 25:

#1 LSU
#2 Ohio State
#3 Clemson
#4 Georgia
#5 Alabama
#6 Oregon
#7 Utah
#8 Minnesota
#9 Penn State
#10 Oklahoma
#11 Florida
#12 Auburn
#13 Baylor
#14 Wisconsin
#15 Michigan
#16 Notre Dame
#17 Cincinnati
#18 Memphis
#19 Texas
#20 Iowa
#21 Boise State
#22 Oklahoma State
#23 Navy
#24 Kansas State
#25 Appalachian State

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Although it is obvious the Committee values name recognition in there ranking system; I do notice that they are setting themselves up for an excuse in the next few weeks.

Oregon at 6, Utah at 7 ...

They have set it up so that they could potentially jump one of these teams over Alabama, while knowing Georgia still has to play the SEC Championship game. The Pitt Fall that might bite the committee in the rear, is if the Bulldogs beat LSU.

Minnesota is ranked 8th ... which I suspect has more to do with trying to appease the nitwits who believe a team shouldn't be able to jump fro a bias #17 into the top 5 --- the out the left themselves; Iowa & Wisconsin --- they've already played each other, and are both in this Top 20 poll. Minnesota has Iowa this week, on the road at Kinnick ~ and two weeks later at home versus the Badgers.

So, jumping them over Alabama will be easy to explain; since Alabama's only ranked opponent left is Auburn.

That being said; it does not excuse Clemson's #3 ranking without a single win vs a Top 25 opponent. Seeing as Minnesota has a win over the Committee's current #9 team, in Penn State.

Baylor, remaining undefeated so far, should be ahead of Oklahoma. Yes; Oklahoma is likely the better team, and has the chance to prove it this weekend. However, Oklahoma has that loss to Kansas State. Same conference, and there will be an immanent head to head match up. So the team presently without a loss should be ranked higher --- It just seems the Committee is setting this up to exclude the Big XII from the playoff this year --- I guess someone has to be left out. But an undefeated team that dropped their rank by 1 after winning a game is an obvious move. Even if they had to come from behind to win in overtime. They won against a rival. In this case, a win is a loss.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:27 pm

The committee says they start every week with a blank slate and they only put Minnesota 8 and them ESPN acts like that was an amazing gift. That is BS. Alabama has a better win than both Ohio State and Clemson. They have less loses than Alabama (who has no good wins). Georgia has two good wins but an ugly loss. Oregon has no good wins, but they have a good loss. Utah doesn't have a good win.Baylor has the 2 good wins if you count Texas as good. They have a better resume that the one loss teams too, Tell me that their isn't a bias based on perception.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:30 am

It’ll be interesting to sit back and watch how ‘the committee’ deals with those 3 SEC teams, LSU, Georgia and Alabama, to get the matchups ESPN wants during the playoffs ...... while currently, the most important team in College Football is Auburn. :lol: :lol: :lol:

........ “Oh what tangled webs we weave.....” :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:34 am

It will be interesting to see what they do with Minnesota if they beat Iowa this week. That would give them two good wins and a big 0 in the loss column

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 am

The 130 computers/polls in Masseys compilation (so one can't cry about the supposed machinations of ESPN, the Committee, the Rosicrucian Underground, etc), have:

1...Ohio State
2...LSU
3...Clemson
4...Penn State

5...Alabama
6...Oregon
7...Georgia
8...Minnesota
9...Auburn
10...Utah
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 am

I am not one of those guys, as y'all are aware, that thinks it is not impossible for two of the four best teams in the country to be in the same conference.

This whole Committee Ranking just reeks of the cigar smokers in the back room setting up the Big Ten to have two in this year...

a player from the East Division this year...Penn State beats OSU..IN...OSU beats Penn State..IN...and If Minnesota goes undefeated to the CCG...Minnesota IN...

(sarcasm font now off).
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 pm

I think one conference could absolutely have two of the best teams in the country. I also think that if you don’t know for sure then the one who didn’t win their conference championship had their shot. Next please. I don’t care if it is B1G, SEC or anyone else.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Well...Minnesota will not play Ohio State....that's certainly a plus for them...

I am pulling for Penn State to beat Ohio State...and then beat Minnesota in the CCG.

Both PSU and Minnesota would be 12-1...both with a loss to each other...but Minnesota would not be champ. And 11-1 Ohio state would be out.

The fan bases of Ohio State and Minnesota could be upset about being knocked out with one loss and not being a Champ (in fact, this situation is somewhat analogous to the Alabam-Georgia year..where both only lost to Auburn yet Georgia got to go to the CCG for a redo.)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:23 pm

I have always thought if you don’t win your championship you shouldn’t be in. Even if your name is Ohio State or Alabama.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:30 pm

you have....and I have not.

But that's why we gab...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:35 pm

billybud wrote:you have....and I have not.

But that's why we gab...

Yep. I honestly would mind it they wanted to seed all the divisional champs and play them off with divisional champs from other conferences. You wouldn't have a conference champ, but then you would have the potential for it to sort itself apart better. The problem I see with letting teams from the same conference is that when you leave conferences out there is no way to tell you really have the right teams. The bias in the committee isn't one of conspiracy. It is one of perception. We are all guilty of it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 pm

I can make no senses of the CFP Committee’s thought process, logic or reasoning...... riddle me this. Last week Penn State was ranked 4th and loses to Minnesota. This week Penn State falls to 9th while Minnesota comes in at 8th and Oregon and Utah leapfrog both to 6th and 7th respectively. :shock: :shock: :shock:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 pm

It is because they use metrics and criteria to justify their opinion and not the other way around. Most fans do this too and the media is full of guys who work it backwards.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Mountainman wrote:I can make no senses of the CFP Committee’s thought process, logic or reasoning...... riddle me this. Last week Penn State was ranked 4th and loses to Minnesota. This week Penn State falls to 9th while Minnesota comes in at 8th and Oregon and Utah leapfrog both to 6th and 7th respectively. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Riddle me this...How does Georgia, who lost to South Carolina (4-6) move up to #4 ahead of Bama who lost close to the number one team ?

Return to “General Discussion”