Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:32 pm

The last couple years Ohio State had holes, warts, or whatever you want to call them. I posted lots of them here, people thought I was making too much of the problems. But I know if I can see them then any college football coach can see them too, lots more. When there are problems, you are usually ok unless someone matches up very well to exploit the weaknesses. Ohio State is one of those teams who generally has better players than 80% of the teams they play and they are equal or close to equal to the rest. If you play someone who matches you in talent, then individual match ups matter. Also as with Purdue last year - It had to do with motivation. Ohio State's lack of it going into the game and Purdue was supremely motivated. By the time Ohio State figured out they were in a football game it was almost over. Purdue was motivated. Ohio State's defense had trouble all year doing what the coaches wanted them to do and they didn't have the overall talent to play man to man the whole game. I think Alabama's defense this year is an example of that too. Man to man is the best way to play when you are better than everyone else. But if you have a couple weak links gooc coaches will exploit it. Clemson would have wiped the floor with Ohio State last year. So would Alabama. Oklahoma and Ohio State would have been a pick em game. Georgia would have beat them bad too. That defense would have destroyed the bad Ohio State offensive line and kept Haskins from being successful.
This year I can't find the warts. That is encouraging, but also kind of disconcerting because no team is without holes. No team. Not this one either. So I wait for someone to expose that hole and see if it is something they can overcome or a fatal flaw. All I know is that up to now, it has been easy. Probably too easy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Well...... I was going to say anything cause its been beat to death, but I just can’t get my arms around how the committee ranks Oregon AND Utah above Penn State AND Oklahoma. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:Well...... I was going to say anything cause its been beat to death, but I just can’t get my arms around how the committee ranks Oregon AND Utah above Penn State AND Oklahoma. :roll:

Because subjectivity is something they can’t rise above. Not their fault, we couldn’t either. It is just a poor way of doing it.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Well...... I was going to say anything cause its been beat to death, but I just can’t get my arms around how the committee ranks Oregon AND Utah above Penn State AND Oklahoma. :roll:

Because subjectivity is something they can’t rise above. Not their fault, we couldn’t either. It is just a poor way of doing it.

I think it's just proof that losses later in the season hurt you more....unless you are Alabama.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:20 pm

I think it depends on their opinion of the team. If they really like a team they don't really care if they lose in a game that isn't meaningful. I think that is the problem with the whole system. They let their opinion override the results.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 pm

Is it even relevant anymore ..?

The Pac is sure doing their best to not be in the picture. Utah is the last bastion of hope. Should they lose, I think it will be near an absolute guarantee that we will have two SEC teams in the playoff.

Though, it'll be curious to see what happens if Baylor turns around and beats Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship. Would a 1 loss Baylor, who avenged that loss in a conference title game, be deemed worthy enough to be included?

Would Ohio State still get the nod, if Minnesota beats Wisconsin then takes down the Buckeyes in the Big !0 Championship .?. which would be the first Conference Championship loser to make the playoff.

What if Minnesota loses to Wisconsin, then the Badgers win the rematch with OSU ?.. Wisconsin would be left out as the Big 10 Champ, while the Bucks go on to play for the National title.

Either way, Oregon is finished; they'll want to beat Utah to be assured the Rose ... Because if Utah wins the Pac-12, and gets left out of the tournament, they would receive the more lucrative New Year's Six bid.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm

My opinion hasn't changed. If you don't win your conference you shouldn't be in the playoff. If Ohio State loses to Minnesota, then there is a team in Ohio State's conference that proved they were better. Some other conference champ should get their chance to prove it on the field. If the second best team is not a conference champ, sorry, try harder to win next year. You should have to prove twice you belong in the playoff. The first time - winning your division. Then win your conference. If you can do both those things, you have earned the right to move on - or in the CFP world at least be eligible to be picked. If you couldn't win you division, I don't see why you even have an argument. Actually, I don't believe you should have an argument if you lose your conference either. Not a big fan of do overs. Not when there are ten teams that did win their conference that should be in the running.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Besides, I would rather beat TTUN than win the natty. I know things aren’t as regional now and most don’t understand that, but for Buckeye’s it is still all about beating them.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:04 pm

I heard a guy tonight say that It is a joke that Utah is ranked 6. He was an Alabama fan and said Utah had beaten no ranked teams. One host agreed. The other said who has Alabama beat that was ranks to which the guy replied " They have beat a couple of good teams". Didn't name anyone. This is the mind set I don't understand. Even if the SEC is the very best conference - which, if they aren't they are in the conversation, here is their schedule. Beat unranked Duke, beat unranked New Mexico State, beat unranked South Carolina, beat unranked Southern Miss, beat unranked Mississippi, beat unranked Texas A&M, Lost to #1 LSU, beat unranked Mississippi State, beat FCS Western Carolina, and they play #16 Auburn this week. Give Ohio State this schedule they are probably 5 or 6 too - unfairly. Give Georgia this schedule, they likely are ranked about around Auburn's place not in the playoff picture, Give Clemson this schedule they are ranked 13-20, Give Minnesota this schedule they maybe aren't ranked. West Virginia with this schedule is 15-20. If not for subjectivity Alabama would be lucky to be in the top 10. This is why I don't like this system. I don't know if Alabama is good, they very well could be. But shouldn't you have to prove it? Where have they proved it with that schedule. When people were screaming about Boise State's schedule several years ago, it was better than Alabama's this year.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:46 pm

That's fine and all ...

But I wasn't referring to my opinion. I was just suggesting what we might see, because of what we have; as well, the way things have gone so far.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:10 pm

When it comes to Alabama AND Clemson, this season, strength of schedule is not a consideration the committee can use to rank either above other contenders. Instead, the committee will rely on ‘The Eye Test’ and whatever other influences they choose.

This foolishness of the committee ranking teams before the end of the regular season is nothing but made for TV, Sports Talk Shows, Sports Talk Radio and Sports Media gobble-t-goop.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm

If Minnesota beats Wisconsin and Ohio State they are in. Ohio State would not be. I think if Oklahoma beats Baylor they have a shot, not so sure if it is the other way around. I don't think Utah has a prayer unless Auburn beats Alabama. If Baylor, Utah, and Alabama all win and Ohio State wins the B1G I think the teams will be LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and Bama. If Georgia beats LSU, I think it is Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, and LSU. If Minnesota and LSU win their conference is it LSU. Clemson, Minnesota, and Alabama. I don't see any way they don't include two SEC teams.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Mountainman wrote:When it comes to Alabama AND Clemson, this season, strength of schedule is not a consideration the committee can use to rank either above other contenders. Instead, the committee will rely on ‘The Eye Test’ and whatever other influences they choose.

This foolishness of the committee ranking teams before the end of the regular season is nothing but made for TV, Sports Talk Shows, Sports Talk Radio and Sports Media gobble-t-goop.

The committee reminds me a lot of the Republicans and the Democrats justifying their positions with the people and both just trying to incite the people while securing their position in the aristocracy.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:When it comes to Alabama AND Clemson, this season, strength of schedule is not a consideration the committee can use to rank either above other contenders. Instead, the committee will rely on ‘The Eye Test’ and whatever other influences they choose.

The committee reminds me a lot of the Republicans and the Democrats justifying their positions with the people and both just trying to incite the people while securing their position in the aristocracy.

And therein lies my distain or lack of respect for this current process.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

Me too!

And therein lies my distain or lack of respect for this current process.

Return to “General Discussion”