Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Playoff Committee's Week 12 Poll

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Spence wrote:It is because they use metrics and criteria to justify their opinion and not the other way around. Most fans do this too and the media is full of guys who work it backwards.

EUREKA!!!!!! You found it!!!! Penn State really wasn’t #4, instead when Utah played Washington and Oregon played Southern Cal last weekend Washington and Southern Cal were #4........ Whew, thanks for that, I thought it was me who just couldn’t figure it out, but I’ve got it straight now!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I can make no senses of the CFP Committee’s thought process, logic or reasoning...... riddle me this. Last week Penn State was ranked 4th and loses to Minnesota. This week Penn State falls to 9th while Minnesota comes in at 8th and Oregon and Utah leapfrog both to 6th and 7th respectively. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Riddle me this...How does Georgia, who lost to South Carolina (4-6) move up to #4 ahead of Bama who lost close to the number one team ?

Oh, that’s an easy one. Metrics and criteria!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:49 am

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I can make no senses of the CFP Committee’s thought process, logic or reasoning...... riddle me this. Last week Penn State was ranked 4th and loses to Minnesota. This week Penn State falls to 9th while Minnesota comes in at 8th and Oregon and Utah leapfrog both to 6th and 7th respectively. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Riddle me this...How does Georgia, who lost to South Carolina (4-6) move up to #4 ahead of Bama who lost close to the number one team ?

Because the committee takes their collective opinions and then works backward to justify it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 am

Spence...that the Committee works backwards is just your opinion...

And is the favorite opinion of conspiratorialists.

When the CFP was set up...the Committee was given these guidelines:

The criteria to be provided to the selection committee must be aligned with the ideals of the commissioners, Presidents, athletic directors and coaches to honor regular season success while at the same time providing enough flexibility and discretion to select a non‐champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non‐champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country.

Some of the guidelines and protocols expected to be established to guide the committee would include, but not be limited to, the following:

While it is understood that committee members will take into consideration all kinds of data including polls, committee members will be required to discredit polls wherein initial rankings are established before competition has occurred;

Any polls that are taken into consideration by the selection committee must be completely open and transparent to the public;

Strength of schedule, head‐to‐head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie‐breakers between teams that look similar;
[b]
Committee members associated with any team under consideration during the selection process will be required to recuse themselves from any deliberations associated with that team;
[/b]

(When creating the College Football Playoff in June of 2012, the 11 university presidents, 10 conference commissioners and Notre Dame’s athletics director unanimously adopted the preceding document which established the guiding principles and the basis for selecting and ranking teams. When the selection committee later added more details and specific operating procedures, those resulted in this full “College Football Playoff Selection Committee Protocol.”)

The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
..Conference championships won,
..Strength of schedule,
..Head‐to‐head competition,
..Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
..Other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

It is my belief that the folks appointed to this task are honest, experienced folks who do their best to follow the guidelines to bring forth the four best teams to play it off.

Knowing that with millions of fans, there will be all to many who believe that this team or that team is a better choice.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 pm

It is my just my opinion. But it is based on their results. I don't believe they conspire to have a particular outcome. I believe they try to do something that is impossible to do given the lack of information needed to accurately compare teams. I do believe they, like us listen to a lot of information on sports radio and television and that they absolutely are swayed by public opinion and perception. I don't believe that they use a blank slate every week or season. If they did, Alabama doesn't have the resume this year to be ranked in the top 10. I'm not saying they aren't a top 10 team, I'm just saying just based on their resume, they wouldn't get the same consideration if their name was not Alabama. Take Alabama off their resume and put Vanderbilt to the very same resume and they aren't ranked as high. Same goes for Ohio State or any other historical blue blood conference. I don't think they do it on purpose. I think they do their level best to be objective. I just don't think it is possible. Not for them or me or you, not for anyone. It is why I don't think this should be the way they determine the playoff teams. I do think they work backwards to justify their opinion, but I don't think they say these are the teams I want in the playoff and then work backwards to justify an outcome. That would be on purpose and I don't think that is how it works.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 pm

I find myself respecting Joel more & more each time he does these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCeiT1KViYc

His Top 10 nearly mirrors mine, with only a couple of exceptions.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:07 am

“........a sham and made for TV.” Could not agree more, as demonstrated each week. What other possible reason would there be to have these CFP Rankings before the regular season is completed. :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:49 am

Mountainman wrote:“........a sham and made for TV.” Could not agree more, as demonstrated each week. What other possible reason would there be to have these CFP Rankings before the regular season is completed. :wink:

:idea:

Or ranked before the season even begins.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:“........a sham and made for TV.” Could not agree more, as demonstrated each week. What other possible reason would there be to have these CFP Rankings before the regular season is completed. :wink:

:idea:

Or ranked before the season even begins.

I agree with this. Too much shaping of public opinion before the season starts.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am

I didn't need no stinkin' early poll to tell me that Boise State would not be a contender.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:05 pm

billybud wrote:I didn't need no stinkin' early poll to tell me that Boise State would not be a contender.

Of course not ... the oligarchy that is the ncaa to siege the right of maritime law over a studious apocryphal contrived delusory endowment for illustriousness cachet to be crowned as sovereign nobility with the national title.

You know I agree with you ... I am the one saying boise should be in a lower division

In case you are interested, but we all know you're not ... boise plays tonight when most television sets are turned off anywhere West of geographical Lilliputian mentality ... not that any of you care, or would notice.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 pm

billybud wrote:I didn't need no stinkin' early poll to tell me that Boise State would not be a contender.

Of course not ... the oligarchy that is the ncaa to siege the right of maritime law over a studious apocryphal contrived delusory endowment for illustriousness cachet to be crowned as sovereign nobility with the national title.

You know I agree with you ... I am the one saying boise should be in a lower division

In case you are interested, but we all know you're not ... boise plays tonight when most television sets are turned off anywhere West of geographical Lilliputian mentality ... not that any of you care, or would notice.

And that is Cane summoning up his best Donovan impression. :lol:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Spence wrote:

And that is Cane summoning up his best Donovan impression. :lol:

PERFECT!!!! I was thinking that Donovan had most certainly and miraculously miracled a message to Cane...... but alas it just couldn’t be so, as I had to look-up the definition of only a single word. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Miracles do happen, as evidenced by my beloved Mountaineers winning today. :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:15 am

And tonight; his favored team, Oregon State, wins their 5th game, improving to 5-5 on the season.

As a matter of fact ... Tonight, the Beavers won their first game vs a FBS opponent at Home since 2016.

They have 2 games left on their schedule ~ @ Washington State & @ Oregon

1 more victory would make them Bowl Eligible for the first time since 2013.

Washington State is certainly beatable.

Oregon, likely not so much.

But what a story that would be. To earn your first bowl game in 6 years, by knocking your heated rival out of the College Football playoff.

There was a time where the Civil War, between the Beavers & Ducks, was won by the road team, in something like a 7 year stretch.

Right now --- Boise State is playing, leading the Lobos 28-0

This whole day has been pretty wild.

Sad that the season is near the end.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:_______________________________________________

And tonight; his favored team, Oregon State, wins their 5th game, improving to 5-5 on the season.

As a matter of fact ... Tonight, the Beavers won their first game vs a FBS opponent at Home since 2016.

They have 2 games left on their schedule ~ @ Washington State & @ Oregon

1 more victory would make them Bowl Eligible for the first time since 2013.

Washington State is certainly beatable.

Oregon, likely not so much.

But what a story that would be. To earn your first bowl game in 6 years, by knocking your heated rival out of the College Football playoff.

There was a time where the Civil War, between the Beavers & Ducks, was won by the road team, in something like a 7 year stretch.

Right now --- Boise State is playing, leading the Lobos 28-0

This whole day has been pretty wild.

Sad that the season is near the end.

It's gone by pretty fast, as all of life does as we get older. :cry: :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”