Thar He Blows

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Thar He Blows

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:16 am

The Big Whale has been set free ...

Willie has been let go by fsu. With something like a $17 million buyout.

I bet the fsu accountants are taking a sick day tomorrow. Could you imagine being the person who had to sign off on this ... He'd be all like, "Seriously! We aren't even going to wait until the season is over? That's $3 million we could save. And we're still not finished paying off Oregon the money for the buyout to get him here. O---oh Lord, I need to lay down."

So, who gets the phone call tomorrow?

Urban
Mario
Campbell

Do you think this will give USC a spasmatic knee, firing Helton, to be available to preempt Tallahassee's phone call to the Meyer's household?

What kind of a chain reaction is this going to create? How many other coaches become early casualties so that their jobs open up in a desparate attempt to sign someone before the other guy gets them?

College Football could look different in a couple of days from now.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thar He Blows

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:46 am

It is more than a head coach. There is something wrong with the program infrastructure. A bad coach should win 8 games at Florida State. Not taking up for Taggart, but the problems here are left over from Fisher, I think.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 am

I have no idea of what the whys may be, but this has similarities and the odor of to be more of a pissing contest between a bunch of money-bags boosters...... who to hire and when to fire, been going on since before they decided to replace Bowden.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Mountainman wrote:I have no idea of what the whys may be, but this has similarities and the odor of to be more of a pissing contest between a bunch of money-bags boosters...... who to hire and when to fire, been going on since before they decided to replace Bowden.

They better get it get it together. They are ruining a good football program.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Jimbo left a mess...

But Willie T was fired because he wasn't improving things...same mistakes, same issues from game 1 until his last game.

As most are aware....The definition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results. Sometimes you need to reboot.

The difference between FSU and Florida and some other schools is that the fans care enough about football to do what must be done. Even if it costs tens of millions.

University of Florida dumped Coach McElwain in his 3rd season in 2017 at a $13 million cost (and additional to pay off assistants) and is, this week, an AP Top 10 team.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:11 pm

I’m not saying that being willing to pay the price if things aren’t working is wrong, it isn’t. But the first thing that has to be done is repairing the infrastructure. That is what went wrong at Michigan. They abandoned everything, even what worked, to bring in a completely different style of football. For example, changing the offense doesn’t mean you trash the defense or that it isn’t important. Also it is important to have a recruiting director who keeps the relationships with the in state schools in place from coach to coach. This is absolutely imperative in a state like Florida where everyone is invading trying to pick off your best players. I think if you keep the structure in place, the coaches job is lots easier. In college especially, it has to do with the jimmy’s and joe’s. Without them Bear Bryant is getting fired.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:59 am

The bitter truth in college football...is that the rich get richer.

You win a bunch of games and the best athletes want to play for that program...which begets more wins...which begets more top athletes...which begets more wins...

But...you can build...Clemson, 10 years ago in 2009, was 6-6...as recently as 2010, Clemson had a losing record...

But Clemson, the last five years has been one of the top programs.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 am

Many thought that Harbough could do as Dabo has done...a young, charismatic coach that would bring in athletes.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am

Bob Stoops was in Tallahassee Monday....

Not too happy with the use of Glenn Sugiyama's firm to check out coaches...but FSU wants to have a coach in place in November.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:34 am

billybud wrote:Bob Stoops was in Tallahassee Monday....

Not too happy with the use of Glenn Sugiyama's firm to check out coaches...but FSU wants to have a coach in place in November.

We have been hearing for a while that Stoops may be interested in coaching again. My self, if I wanted to hand it over to an up and coming coach I would go with Matt Campbell. If I am looking to rebuild infrastructure, though, Stoops would be my short term solution. That may be a marriage that works for both of them. It would let Stoops scratch that itch and carry him until he is really ready to retire and also give Florida State someone who has what it takes to rebuild the structure at Florida State. Just hiring a coach probably isn't going to do it. They need a CEO type coach with contacts and relationships to go along with outstanding management skills. I don't know if Matt Campbell would be ready for that kind of job yet.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:18 pm

There is some positive sentiment about having Kendall Briles (now OC) be a HC in waiting, so to speak.

Stoops showed some interest in U of F but backed out....he will probably drop out of contention at FSU...his rep had dinner last night with FSU folks and search firm.

I like PJ Fleck...young, energetic...but he is signing a new contract at Minnesota. Mike Norvell at Memphis too.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:33 pm

billybud wrote:There is some positive sentiment about having Kendall Briles (now OC) be a HC in waiting, so to speak.

Stoops showed some interest in U of F but backed out....he will probably drop out of contention at FSU...his rep had dinner last night with FSU folks and search firm.

I like PJ Fleck...young, energetic...but he is signing a new contract at Minnesota. Mike Norvell at Memphis too.

Fleck is a good coach. I'm surprised Stoops backed out. I had heard that was the one job he would come back for just yesterday.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Warchant reporting..

Got this directly from the Bob Stoops camp. When asked about the FSU job, Stoops told our source "I'm not a candidate". This person has known Stoops for years, this is a direct quote and Stoops even gave him permission to pass what he said on to us.

Could that be posturing since he has currently has a contract with an XFL team? Possibly, but it's clearly not a positive sign for Florida State. This is a bit odd because FSU is definitely in active discussions with his representative about the head coaching position. Not sure what the point of that is if he doesn't have a legitimate interest in the job.

As I hinted at below, was told Stoops doesn't want deal with all the pressure and responsibilities that goes along with being a major college football coach again, including having to recruit.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Maybe he has a buyout with the XFL and they are working on it. Or maybe he doesn't want to deal with recruiting anymore.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:25 pm

billybud wrote:I like PJ Fleck...young, energetic...but he is signing a new contract at Minnesota. Mike Norvell at Memphis too.

I like Fleck too. I know contracts have very little meaning in today's landscape of sports but I heard he extended his thru the 2026 season at Minnesota. I would like to see him build that program kinda like Alvarez did for Wisconsin or as mentioned earlier, Dabo at Clemson. They have a very nice stadium up there, albeit like Wisconsin, it takes a little more to convince a Florida or Texas kid to go play up there. The West division needs another team to breath live into the conference. Iowa is solid and Wisconsin is often the team to beat. I'm excited to see what they do against Penn State this weekend.

Spence wrote:Maybe he has a buyout with the XFL and they are working on it. Or maybe he doesn't want to deal with recruiting anymore.

Is there much advertising and fan fare for the XFL?? Here in the St Louis area they are doing a good job of promoting the league but I'm not sure how well it looks nationally. This city takes it as a big F you to the NFL for doing them dirty twice now. It will take more than one or two well attended venues to carry the league past week 4.

Return to “General Discussion”