A Smart Comparison

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

A Smart Comparison

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 am

Kirby Smart is in his 4th season as the Head Coach of UGA.

To date; he seems to be be performing well at a time when
the SEC is on top of the College Football world.

If we were to examine his progress closer than on a weekly
grade; how well does he measure up to his predecessor in
Mark Richt:

--- 1rst Season ---
Richt 8-4 / Smart 8-5

--- 2nd Season ---
Richt 13-1 / Smart 13-2

--- 3rd Season ---
Richt 11-3 / Smart 11-3

--- 4th Season (after 6 games) ---
Richt 5-1 / Smart 5-1

Another interesting bit. Georgia quarterback, Jake Fromm, had 51 pass attempts, this past Saturday, in the Bulldogs loss to the Gamecocks.

Every game where Fromm has thrown for 30 or more passes, Georgia has lost.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: A Smart Comparison

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 am

There’re a couple of guys on ESPN Radio I listen to on a regular basis, Packer and Neuheisel, and enjoy their analysis and perspectives on all things about College Football. Both have talked about the plight and outcomes of Georgia’s games, as well as the demise of Mark Richt, and elude to Coach Smart being on the same path that Richt previously traveled.

Most recently, both have voiced that during the South Carolina game, Georgia was outplayed and out coached........ not a good sign for Coach Smart in a very demanding ‘Bulldog Nation’.

.......btw, good on you for acknowledging a couple of guys who were different than one another, but most enjoyable members of the board who’s thoughts and posting were an absolute pleasure to read. May they Rest In Peace, we’ll miss them.
Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 am

Most of the time if a QB is throwing more than 30 times it is because (1) the running game isn't working and (2) the team is behind.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Yep...Richt was in a 10 year run without an SEC Championship...He had won two (2002 & 2005).

Richt had an enviable record at Georgia....but an SEC championship drought cost him.

Kirby has won an SEC title and the Bulldogs played in the CFP Championship game...in his first three years...what Dawgs wanted.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:53 am

billybud wrote:Yep...Richt was in a 10 year run without an SEC Championship...He had won two (2002 & 2005).

Richt had an enviable record at Georgia....but an SEC championship drought cost him.

Kirby has won an SEC title and the Bulldogs played in the CFP Championship game...in his first three years...what Dawgs wanted.

Very true....

Echoing what Cane said....I just don't understand why they didn't run the ball more. They have the biggest O-Line in College football.

That loss really stung, especially when it came atfer a kicker who is so reliable you could almost just post the points before the kick was made. Sad. But they could still win the East, so I'm hoping for a trip to ATL. But I'm a pessimist after that game, some things are suspect.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 am

Derek wrote:
billybud wrote:Yep...Richt was in a 10 year run without an SEC Championship...He had won two (2002 & 2005).

Very true....

Echoing what Cane said....I just don't understand why they didn't run the ball more. They have the biggest O-Line in College football.

That loss really stung, especially when it came after a kicker who is so reliable you could almost just post the points before the kick was made. Sad. But they could still win the East, so I'm hoping for a trip to ATL. But I'm a pessimist after that game, some things are suspect.

Right.

So many of Georgia's passes are behind the line of scrimmage, that when Fromm finally does throw it down field, the accuracy falls short. This game against South Carolina, 3 of those passes turned into interceptions.

Granted, one of which, the ball was tipped. But Fromm's throw trajectory allowed for the ball to be tipped. Another, the receiver didn't act like he expected the ball; which also comes down to preparedness. And that needs to be addressed in practice.

This game wasn't out of hand. Georgia was in it the whole game. So abandoning the run to force the issue with the passing game, when you're in a 1 possession situation, doesn't make sense.

My comparison was to show how eerily similar things are becoming to Richt's tenure.

I'm not suggesting they get rid of Smart ... quite the contrary.

I think it is time for Smart to reevaluate some things that aren't working, and maybe come up with an adjustment scheme to further utilize his players' skill sets. If your opponent is stopping the run; have a few X's & O's that alter your teams formation that gets you the match up advantage.

Georgia is still in the thick of things to win the east ... The ship can be righted on time, so long as Smart lives up to his name.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:17 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Derek wrote:

Very true....

That loss really stung, especially when it came after a kicker who is so reliable you could almost just post the points before the kick was made. Sad. But they could still win the East, so I'm hoping for a trip to ATL. But I'm a pessimist after that game, some things are suspect.

Right.

So many of Georgia's passes are behind the line of scrimmage, that when Fromm finally does throw it down field, the accuracy falls short. This game against South Carolina, 3 of those passes turned into interceptions.

Granted, one of which, the ball was tipped. But Fromm's throw trajectory allowed for the ball to be tipped. Another, the receiver didn't act like he expected the ball; which also comes down to preparedness. And that needs to be addressed in practice.

This game wasn't out of hand. Georgia was in it the whole game. So abandoning the run to force the issue with the passing game, when you're in a 1 possession situation, doesn't make sense.

My comparison was to show how eerily similar things are becoming to Richt's tenure.

I'm not suggesting they get rid of Smart ... quite the contrary.

I think it is time for Smart to reevaluate some things that aren't working, and maybe come up with an adjustment scheme to further utilize his players' skill sets. If your opponent is stopping the run; have a few X's & O's that alter your teams formation that gets you the match up advantage.

Georgia is still in the thick of things to win the east ... The ship can be righted on time, so long as Smart lives up to his name.

4 turnovers coupled with missed opportunities in the kicking games will get you beat by most teams with a pulse....... but many fans, as well as many talking heads, oftentimes forget that in the moment. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:36 am

:lol:

Alright, now this is just downright clever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDhzoBlsaIQ

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Holy Geeeeez....... that SEC Bunch knows how to rub it in, in a fun way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Nobody knows better how to poke fun at you than your own "family" :lol: . That was cool.

Swamp Daddy :wink:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:26 am

Hilarious!!!!

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm

FYI, some good news from Mark Richt. 8)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... u3owwhw1gv

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 am

Wasn't even aware he had one, but I'm out of pocket 10K miles away. Glad he's going to be OK.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:29 am

....... I believe it happened just yesterday, so depending on if you’re 10,000 miles east or 10,000 miles west it happened a couple of days ago or it hasn’t happened yet. :D :D :D

Just kidding, I’m glad to hear he’s gonna be OK too. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Derek wrote:Wasn't even aware he had one, but I'm out of pocket 10K miles away. Glad he's going to be OK.

Where are you at 10.000 miles away? Australia? I'm in Long Beach this week and I thought I had a long plane trip. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”