Week 5 Random Thoughts

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week 5 Random Thoughts

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:45 am

1. I have to become a Hawaii is real, believer. An impressive win over Nevada and they used the "fumblerooksi;" FSU's greatest contribution to the game of football.
2. North Carolina loss was the best win of the week.
3. Ohio State is the best team in the country right now,
4. Auburn will not go undefeated but in their brief moment of euphoria, was it necessary to take out the mascot?
5. Oklahoma may go undefeated but nobody will care. Another Heisman trophy player and a trip to the wrong bowl.
6. BYU is not worthy of my support, which only happens in the moment of weakness, anyway.
7. Boise State has its work cut out form them. They needed the rest.
8. Michigan thrashers Rutgers and nobody will care about any of their wins, the rest of the season. And I like them.
9. Georgia Tech is a 'Ramblin' Wreck' but at least they scored a couple of points.
10. The parity of the PAC 12 continues to plague them. It is the one thing I like about the PAC 12. The playoffs will means something, not for some 'in your mind only championship, but for the conference where wins win.
11. Washington, Washington State, and Oregon, which I do not like, are disappointments.
12. UCF looking to the Mountain West and Uinta's for future scheduling will prove that Central Florida, where the tallest mountain was made by Disney, 312 feet, is not a Boise State and who cares about BYU anyway.
13. Finally, I feel bad for Dossenator. The most ardent team supporter on this board. Every season unwavering faith. But alas... Well, Doss, you still have baseball and maybe this next season. Do I have empathy, absolutely, Oregon State is my favorite team. I like Boise State, but that relationship fades as that son is now 42.
14, 2nd finally, Florida State has my total support next week. If Mr. Billybud will just kick it up a bit, it could happen.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Week 5 Random Thoughts

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:12 pm

15. If Clemson loses a Regular Season Game, they will not make it to the CFP for two reasons. First, a weak schedule, and second, there’re better teams out there. 8)

Amended #3...... Ohio State is the ‘most complete team’ in the country right now. e.g. offense, defense, special teams.

No Meyer. No Haskins. New Head Coach with No Head Coaching Experience....... No Problem.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:55 pm

A lot of national people are roasting Mack Brown for going for the win yesterday. I thought it was absolutely the right call. I don’t know if the play selection was the best for the situation, but if it had worked, Brown is a genus today. He did the right thing, it just didn’t work out. Clemson has better players than North Carolina. NC would have likely lost in OT. Brown rolled the diced and came up short. Regardless, it was the right move IMO.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:49 pm

I called the guy announcing the game an ‘Expletive’ Idiot when he questioned the decision BEFORE the play was ran....... although, I wouldn’t have called that play, with that quarterback, against that speedy defense on a shorten field. 8)

.......that guy was no Vince Young.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Mountainman wrote:I called the guy announcing the game an ‘Expletive’ Idiot when he questioned the decision BEFORE the play was ran....... although, I wouldn’t have called that play, with that quarterback, against that speedy defense on a shorten field. 8)

.......that guy was no Vince Young.

I agree. The speed option play was probably not the right call against the Clemson defense, but the decision to go was a good one. I don’t know what Brown saw that made him think that play work, but he had called a good game to that point so I guess just chalk it up to a good defensive call.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:43 pm

I even wonder if Clemson has a few more close calls, would they make the playoff. They should not be allowed in based on last year. I know the season has to play out, but Auburn, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. all look great.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:45 pm

They will likely be undefeated and I don’t see how an undefeated defending champ doesn’t make it in. They just seem unmotivated to me.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:46 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I even wonder if Clemson has a few more close calls, would they make the playoff. They should not be allowed in based on last year. I know the season has to play out, but Auburn, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. all look great.

Wisconsin and Oklahoma look pretty darn stout too, and we’ll see if Florida is for real this coming weekend. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:41 pm

I have a feeling that Florida is going to struggle this weekend.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Boise plays a weakk, weak schedule...that will keep them behind Clemson...

You want to down Clemson on schedule? Currently Clemson #32 vs Boise #89
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:30 pm

---

And yet; that was the only comment comparing Clemson to Boise ...

If Clemson does not get into the playoff, it will be due to a loss. If they do lose, though; the conversation will become about either allowing a 2cnd SEC team or Notre Dame into the Tournament.

Auburn has to face Florida, LSU, Georgia and Alabama, with a game in between each.

LSU has to play Florida then later Auburn & Alabama in back to back weeks.

Alabama will play LSU, then Auburn 3 weeks later.

Florida has to play Auburn & LSU the next two weeks, then Georgia, before finishing the year against FSU.

Georgia has to play Florida in 5 weeks from now, coming off of a bye week; then Auburn 2 weeks later.

Georgia may go undefeated, but then have to play whoever the West produces in the SEC Championship.

There is a possibility that the SEC will not have an undefeated team this year. And if so, Notre Dame is a lock, unless they have an unlikely hiccup against USC on the 12th, or Michigan on the 26th.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:14 am

Spence wrote:A lot of national people are roasting Mack Brown for going for the win yesterday. I thought it was absolutely the right call. I don’t know if the play selection was the best for the situation, but if it had worked, Brown is a genus today. He did the right thing, it just didn’t work out. Clemson has better players than North Carolina. NC would have likely lost in OT. Brown rolled the diced and came up short. Regardless, it was the right move IMO.

Agreed

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 am

billybud wrote:Boise plays a weakk, weak schedule...that will keep them behind Clemson...

You want to down Clemson on schedule? Currently Clemson #32 vs Boise #89

Agreed...I am the one that thinks they should be in a lower division. Boise is and has been self-delusional for several years. USF has caught the disease.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 am

---

USF (South Florida) has had that disease, and joining the Big East for the short lived facade that what was left of that conference didn't help their ego much, either.

I know you meant UCF; but USF actually bought into their own hype so much, that they were going around touting theirself as one of the Four Big Florida programs, and actually petitioned the NCAA to have UCF removed from their schedule, citing Central Florida was holding them back, by bringing their Schedule Strength down, due to the yearly obligation to play them.

O' How the Tides do Turn.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:47 am

I did mean UCF

Talk about arrogance, doesn't mean it is not true. It must ooze over from ESPN world.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html

Return to “General Discussion”