FYI

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: FYI

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 am

Hmmmmm, name, image or likeness....... it’s beginning to appear the price to consumers to watch a game on TV or listen to a game on radio may become considerably more expensive.

Sooooooo, if I use a College Football Player’s name here on the Message Board, do I have to send him a dollar?????? :shock:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 am

Yeah...you will...but only indirectly.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 am

And...it seems like only yesterday that stars were honored to be featured on a Wheaties box....

(aside, Bruce Jenner Wheatie boxes have been climbing in value).
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 am

Lou Gehrig, Jesse Owens, Bob feller, Lefty Gomez, Bart Starr, Mohammed Ali...and dozens of thers...including my favorite boyhood announcer...Dizzy Dean.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 am

Dizzy Dean...without him we wouldn't have the words "slud" and "swang" and I ain't kidding.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:38 am

billybud wrote:Lou Gehrig, Jesse Owens, Bob feller, Lefty Gomez, Bart Starr, Mohammed Ali...and dozens of thers...including my favorite boyhood announcer...Dizzy Dean.

All those guys are dead...... does one write the check to their Estate???

That’ll be $7.00 Mr. Bud........ I would have used your entire user name but didn’t want to spend the dollar. Instead, look for 2 quarters in the mail. :wink:
Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am

billybud wrote:Yeah...you will...but only indirectly.

So, please clarify what the difference is to me as to whether I’m being charged MY MONEY indirectly or directly.

I’m just exercising my Constitutional Right of Free Speech!!!!!! (oh, I forgot, anyone who who expresses a differing point of view or perspective does not have that right). So, LET THE VILIFICATION BEGIN!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:22 pm

huh? Weirdo response.

If you read it slowly, you will see that I agreed with you....I took your facetious remark of sending a player a dollar...and said..."you will, but it will be indirectly"...but you will pay...

There is no assertion that direct or indirect makes much difference to your pocket....

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm

So..... how much is that player introduction thingy the TV guys do right before the opening kickoff gonna cost me??????

Let’s see...... offense and defense, that’s 22 players’ likeness, image and name @ let’s say $5.00 bucks apiece would be $110 bucks, and they ain’t even kicked the ball off yet. :shock:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:30 pm

oh it will only be a few cents a week....multiplied by a million viewers and billed as an increase to your cable/satellite bill.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:05 pm

......well, that beg’s the question, a.k.a. petitio principii, as to why the good folks here in the hills and hollers of Wild and Wonderful West by gawd Virginia have to pay for a law passed in the State of freakin’ California?????

Maybe the College Football Fans throughout the other 49 or so states will give their Senators and Congressmen on the Federal Level a call or send them a note to let them know they don’t want California Lawmakers adding cost, directly or indirectly, to their TV bill...... let the Californians pay for it. 8)

.......there now, everybody’s happy. :wink:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 pm

In the West, we have been living with Eastern interference since 1776....and you are complaining.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 pm

donovan wrote:In the West, we have been living with Eastern interference since 1776....and you are complaining.

I see where you’re coming from...... it does appear that some ‘out west’ have an issue with borders, that is until someone steps in their yard. You can blame John Sutter for most of that. :wink:

So, the good news is that you won’t have any trouble recognizing the interference when it shows up and won’t need ‘Instant Replay’ to confirm the call on the field. 8)

Oh Hell, will we have to pay TWICE if that name, image or likeness shows up on replay???? :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 pm

donovan wrote:In the West, we have been living with Eastern interference since 1776....and you are complaining.

Well, at least since the 1840’s
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 pm

billybud wrote:And...let's not count the $100,000 plus tuition for education, covered housing costs, food at the training tables etc....there is something of value that these kids receive.

The true scholar athletes back in the day were students like everyone else....

I think that I am a curmudgeon and thus less tolerant of the "me generations"....folks who preen, prance and dance and look for recognition...it isn't the team,it is all about them. And, with the transfer portal, maybe increasingly difficult to coach...just take my football where I am appreciated.

It is part and parcel of our national preoccuption with, and seemingly insatiable demand for celebrity. And TV...where we watch college sports so student athletes compare themselves to NFL players since they provide a similar entertainment commodity.

Well said Sir!!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”