Thurs Games

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Thurs Games

Postby highfly24 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Well college football is certainly back. Got a little taste last weekend but this is the real start. As expected Clemson and Texas A&M rolled. GA Tech could be a decent team but that was a rough way for a new coach to make his debut.

FCS #3 So Dakota State almost pulled off the win at Minnesota. Late fumble allowed Minnesota to escape with a win. Jackrabbits looked good and will be a real threat in FCS again this year. Curious how #1 James Madison does Sat, I know someone else interested in that game 8) . Since I have Minnesota this could be cause for concern, except I honestly believe SDSU is better than half the conference teams on Minnesota's schedule. Maybe I'm just a little too partial to the teams in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

The biggest blow might have been UCLA losing to Cincy. Not that is was some big upset, it was a toss up game and our board seemed split in the picks thread. However, with Arizona losing at Hawaii and now UCLA losing at Cincy the conference has taken an image hit. These teams, esp Arizona, were darkhorses to compete with Utah for the division. We are just getting started but since ESPN is still mad PAC-12 formed their own network without them, it doesn't take much for the talking heads to try and tear this conference down. Will be interesting what the narrative is at the end of the weekend.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Thurs Games

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 pm

The PAC 12 took an image hit ast season...they need a team to stand out.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm

.......you busted me, highfly, and I’m guilty as charged. Lots of chatter here in Morgantown about tomorrow’s game. Seems nobody knows what to expect...... we’ll see. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 pm

WVU playing James Madison....

Time was Eers wouldn't sweat this game,,,Vegas has WVU -7.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 pm

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow afternoon, lots of new faces on the field and on the sideline....... they’ll all be under the microscope come tomorrow. :D

Let’s Gooooooooo Mountaineers!!!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:12 pm

billybud wrote:The PAC 12 took an image hit ast season...they need a team to stand out.

They did and I thought it was important for them to grab some early wins. Being on the road would have given some credit but it wasn't meant to be. I'm never going to shed a tear for a Chip Kelly team losing.

Mountainman wrote:.......you busted me, highfly, and I’m guilty as charged. Lots of chatter here in Morgantown about tomorrow’s game. Seems nobody knows what to expect...... we’ll see. :wink:

The timeless beauty of a new season. Optimism and hope mixed with questions of the unknown and the ultimate variable of youth.

Return to “General Discussion”