Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Doesn't matter who Bama or Clemson play in regular season....they have just been better.

They, collectively, have whipped the champs of other conferences since 2014....

Oklahoma (11-1) looked good in conference but got stomped by 20 points in the CFP....Ohio State (11-1) got ripped by 31...both by Clemson.

Bama whipped 12-1 Washington 24-7...and poor ole 12-1 Oklahoma..but only by low double digits.

Who has been the one to beat Bama? Clemson.

Who has been able to beat Clemson? Bama.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Those two are proven to be a cut above the rest....... makes one wonder why College Football thinks it needs a 15 member committee and ESPN is willing to bankroll a 4 team playoff to tell us what we already know.

Guess that’s just proving Donovan’s point....... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!

P.S. Talent and depth of talent matter, consider that the Starting QB for Clemson, Kelly Bryant, transferred and is now the Starting Quarterback at Missouri and the Starting QB for Alabama, Jalen Hurts, transferred and is now the Starting Quarterback at Oklahoma. :wink:
Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:43 pm

billybud wrote:Doesn't matter who Bama or Clemson play in regular season....they have just been better.

They, collectively, have whipped the champs of other conferences since 2014....

Oklahoma (11-1) looked good in conference but got stomped by 20 points in the CFP....Ohio State (11-1) got ripped by 31...both by Clemson.

Bama whipped 12-1 Washington 24-7...and poor ole 12-1 Oklahoma..but only by low double digits.

Who has been the one to beat Bama? Clemson.

Who has been able to beat Clemson? Bama.

Here on the Left Coast where the center of light and truth, aka the Illuminati, resides; We don't care.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Mountainman wrote:Those two are proven to be a cut above the rest....... makes one wonder why College Football thinks it needs a 15 member committee and ESPN is willing to bankroll a 4 team playoff to tell us what we already know.

Guess that’s just proving Donovan’s point....... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!

P.S. Talent and depth of talent matter, consider that the Starting QB for Clemson, Kelly Bryant, transferred and is now the Starting Quarterback at Missouri and the Starting QB for Alabama, Jalen Hurts, transferred and is now the Starting Quarterback Oklahoma. :wink:

I'll add to this by pointing out:

Murray was announced as the starting QB after transferring in from Texas A&M.
Tua was announced as the starter for Alabama; replacing Hurts.
Lawrence was announced as taking the starting spot from Bryant.
Book was announced as taking the starting spot from Winbush. [who transferred to UCF]

All first year starters for their teams.

Oklahoma
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame

All played in last season's College Football Playoff.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:16 pm

I’m willing to bet a shiny new dime that BOTH Strength of Schedule and Transfers will soon be addressed by the NCAA Rules Committees.

Wanna bet???? :D
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Mountainman wrote:I’m willing to bet a shiny new dime that BOTH Strength of Schedule and Transfers will soon be addressed by the NCAA Rules Committees.

I'll take the bet

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:37 pm

I think Mr. Billybud is correct, he generally is, I just don't care.

I liked the old PAC 8. Go for the Conference championship, play the Big Ten champion in the Rose Bowl, be done on New Year's Day and sit back and get ready for Spring Training. Perhaps I have mentioned this before.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:00 pm

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I’m willing to bet a shiny new dime that BOTH Strength of Schedule and Transfers will soon be addressed by the NCAA Rules Committees.

I'll take the bet

Okie Dokie...... we got a bet. 8)

Holy Moley!!!!!! Did I just make a bet on a future event with an Illuminati????? :lol:
Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:00 pm

And Lordy...how we hated UCLA basketball when they won 10 NCAA Titles in 12 years...when that team had 75 consecutive wins and went 89-1 over three seasons.

Yeah...the powerful are reviled by those who are not....Bernie Sanders, as NCAA Commissioner, would have made sure that such didn't happen.

It isn't right that there are teams that can beat others...it should all be equal...handicap like you do in golf....Bama should start games -17.

The old fashioned method of recruiting, player development, and coaching to become successful is just soooo unfair because some can do that better than others.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:12 pm

billybud wrote:And Lordy...how we hated UCLA basketball when they won 10 NCAA Titles in 12 years...when that team had 75 consecutive wins and went 89-1 over three seasons.

Yeah...the powerful are reviled by those who are not....Bernie Sanders, as NCAA Commissioner, would have made sure that such didn't happen.

It isn't right that there are teams that can beat others...it should all be equal...handicap like you do in golf....Bama should start games -17.

The old fashioned method of recruiting, player development, and coaching to become successful is just soooo unfair because some can do that better than others.

It’s being reported that in a new book that’s coming out soon, Jim Harbaugh says the SEC cheats on the recruiting trails........ can’t wait for that baby to hit the bookshelves.

I can hear the SEC Fans pushback now....... “Yeah, soooooo?????” and “who the hell is Jim Harbaugh?????” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:18 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah...the powerful are reviled by those who are not....Bernie Sanders, as NCAA Commissioner, would have made sure that such didn't happen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I always said that if Obama had been the president of the NCAA rather than the U.S.A. there would have been 60 tie games a week [with 120 teams], and scores that got above 50 points would have been regulated back down to 21.

Redistribute the points to the less fortunate teams, even in games that weren't played; especially on bye weeks. And there would have been 120 National Champions at the end of the year.

Gotta have that equality. No one is better than anyone else, ever. And for those who are not physically capable of playing Div-1A Football, you will receive an honorary Letterman Jacket [err ... not pc enough; Letterperson Jacket] for your spirited desire to participate. [No Player/Non-Player Left Behind]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:26 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
billybud wrote:Yeah...the powerful are reviled by those who are not....Bernie Sanders, as NCAA Commissioner, would have made sure that such didn't happen.

I always said that if Obama had been the president of the NCAA rather than the U.S.A. there would have been 60 tie games a week [with 120 teams], and scores that got above 50 points would have been regulated back down to 21.

Redistribute the points to the less fortunate teams, even in games that weren't played; especially on bye weeks. And there would have been 120 National Champions at the end of the year.

Gotta have that equality. No one is better than anyone else, ever. And for those who are not physically capable of playing Div-1A Football, you will receive an honorary Letterman Jacket [err ... not pc enough; Letterperson Jacket] for your spirited desire to participate. [No Player/Non-Player Left Behind]

Like I said Participation triumphs over Performance...... :roll:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 am

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:

Like I said Participation triumphs over Performance...... :roll:

Yes, and that's very said. There was a quick video one time from the coach of Louisville's basketball team, and he spoke on these points.

It's setting kids up for failure in life when you don't let them lose as kids.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:53 am

They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:02 am

Like I said Recognition triumphs over Accomplishment..... :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”