Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Postby donovan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:`

The whole of the country has changed since those days, though.

The average household job no longer sees clocking out time at 5pm on Friday; to click back in 9 am on Monday.

People work hours round the clock, and through the weekend in our society. They are use to being up all hours of the day/night. For quite a few, 9 pm is the start of their day.

To get what you are asking for, would require changing all of society back to a moderated schedule ... not just football.

I agree...and I am for it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:17 pm

We never really were on a "moderated" schedule. That's a "modern" invention

On my family's dairy farm, it was up at o'dark thirty and work until jobs were done...in certain seasons...plowing for corn, putting up silage, the hours were very long.

In the Corps...it was long hours and many per week.

It was only when government regulated hours for factory workers (tenement dwellers had worked near 18/7 from age 9), that we had some moderation.

My wife once worked rotating shifts every 28 days...3-11, 11-7, 7-3. Law enforcement.

My brother worked rotating shifts...refinery computer operator.

I was lucky...I did work long hours, weekends...but it was of my own volition.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Out of curiosity I did a little research and found.......all but 15 of the schools in the Power 5 Conferences are scheduled to play a FCS team this coming Regular Season. Last season all but 16 did the same, and last season the FCS schools won 1 game.

That’s not competitive football, and it needs to stop.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 pm

`

My perspective is that, if you remove the FCS schools from FBS schedules, you would open up more opportunities for Power5 vs Group of 5 match ups, Out of Conference.

I do not understand why regional would be an issue, seeing as their would be as many FBS Group of 5 schools in Power5 regions that would have open schedules with the switch.

It would also take away some of the conversation about the group of 5, saying they need to schedule better.

Plus, for FCS, it would allow for in Division regional out of conference competition.

I see nothing other than upside.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:38 am

Well...for 2019 season:

ACC teams will play more games (20) against Power 5 competition (including Notre Dame) than any of their peers.

ACC teams will play more games against non-conference teams (16) ranked in last year’s final Associated Press Top 25 than any other Power 5 conference.

ACC teams will play 26 games against non-conference opponents that participated in bowl games last season, the highest total among Power 5 conferences.

ACC teams will play 11 non-conference games against teams in ESPN’s 2019 Way-Too-Early Top 25, which is the most among their peers.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 am

Congrove SOS 2019

I'm not sure what point I am making...

SEC 8
Big 10 7
PAC 12 7
ACC 1

1 StanfordPAC 12-N
2 Southern CaliforniaPAC 12-S
3 VanderbiltSEC-E
4 PurdueBig 10-W
5 UCLAPAC 12-S
6 IowaBig 10-W
7 Michigan StateBig 10-E
8 North Carolina ACC
9 AuburnSEC-W
10 NorthwesternBig 10-W
11 GeorgiaSEC-E
12 WisconsinBig 10-W
13 South CarolinaSEC-E
14 Oregon StatePAC 12-N
15 MichiganBig 10-E
16 Ohio StateBig 10-E
17 FloridaSEC-E
18 AlabamaSEC-W
19 RutgersBig 10-E
20 MarylandBig 10-E
21 ColoradoPAC 12-S
22 NebraskaBig 10-W
23 Mississippi StateSEC-W
24 Louisiana StateSEC-W
25 OregonPAC 12-N

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 am

As you are aware....I do not look at Congrove...

Sagarin had 4 ACC in Top 25 SOS at end of year.

6....Big Ten

3...Big 12

8...SEC

2... Pac 12

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 am

Maybe one of these would help in leveling this Strength of Schedule quandary.......

Going with the flow........ during the Regular 12 Game Season all FBS Schools shall play 10 games within their assigned group(Power 5, Group of 5). All Power 5 Schools shall play 1 game against a Group of 5 opponent and 1 game against a FCS opponent. All Group of 5 Schools shall play 1 game against a Power 5 opponent and 1 game against a FCS opponent.

Swimming across the current...... during the Regular 12 Game Season Power 5 Schools shall play 11 games within their assigned group and 1 game against a Group of 5 opponent.

Swimming upstream........ during the Regular 12 Game Season all Power 5 Schools shall play only Power 5 Schools and all Group of 5 Schools shall play only Group of 5 Schools.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am

billybud wrote:As you are aware....I do not look at Congrove...

Sagarin had 4 ACC in Top 25 SOS at end of year.

6....Big Ten

3...Big 12

8...SEC

2... Pac 12

As I don't read articles on being fat.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:33 am

I do have the strength to get into our yearly SOS discussion.

I meant...I do not have the strength.......
Last edited by donovan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Good to know....Got to find strength where you can find it...

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:29 pm

I meant...do NOT have the strength....

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:15 pm

donovan wrote:I meant...do NOT have the strength....

Sorry to hear that....... a good discussion has many points of view and perspectives. In your case, you bring a unique perspective, as I acknowledged earlier in the thread, that otherwise may be missed and therefore not considered in the discussion in order to help formulate la reasonable positions and informed opinions.

Be well......

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm

The FCS/FBS debate is complex and my thoughts on it are rather borderline. There are some serious flaws, as pointed out, but keeping regional, or better yet, In-State matchups can be a good thing for the local fanbases. It is ok to have a game that generates interest in a 100 mile radius as opposed to 1500 miles.

Missouri has already scheduled Illinois State for the 2027 football season. That seems pretty far for an FCS game that can usually be filled a year or two out. Maybe ISU is looking to move up to FBS in the next 5 years, they deny it but have made many renovations to both football and basketball venues.

What I would like to see is a form of relegation in the Power 5 conferences. Each conference should be paired with a Group of 5 counterpart. Pac 12-Mt West, SEC-American, Big 12-Sun Belt, ACC-CUSA, Big 10-MAC, for example. If you go winless in CONFERENCE play over a 2 year period you get sent down and the team with the best 2year conf mark in your sister conference comes up. The paired conferences would have to have equal numbers of conference games so nonconf scheduling would not be effected. This would be for FOOTBALL ONLY and CONFERENCE GAMES ONLY. The money schools would never agree to it but it would add an edge to late season games and pretend to give those Group of 5 teams a chance. Imagine Rutgers winless last year, heading to top 10 Penn State winless again. You have Buffalo or Toledo with a chance to join the Big 10 if Penn State wins. Rutgers has to play for their lives, Penn State has to match the intensity, a possible Rose Bowl on the line. People all over the country suddenly care about a game that no one actually will otherwise.

Eh its a pipe dream. Maybe I should just go buy a few more lotto tickets while I'm at it. :lol:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 pm

I understand how you feel...... I like the fact that the FCS guys get a big payday and some of the wealth gets shared, but at the same time there are some in the Power 5 that are appearing to ‘game the system’, so to speak. The ACC and the SEC conferences, since 2010 have played far and away many more games against FCS opponents than the remaining P5 members while claiming their regular seasons are tougher.

Then alongs comes the College Football Playoff and makes Strength of Schedule an emphasis and measuring point for consideration for selection.

I’m like Donovan in my ‘Old School’ or ‘Good Old Days’ way of thinking when it comes to Competitive Sports being decided on the field of play........ instead of being treated like a Beauty Pageant. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”