Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:58 pm

........about the NCAA regulating College Football Regular Season Scheduling??????

Hell, they regulate everything else....... :wink:

My two cents worth...... No FCS scheduling during the Regular Season for FBS Schools.

If you ‘need the practice’ or ‘need to determine your depth chart’ or whatever phony baloney reason one my conjure up, play an FCS opponent during your Spring Game. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Is It Time We Had A Discussion.......

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:50 pm

`

I agree ...

I have long been a proponent for getting rid of the FCS games.

I understand, on some level, that these schools benefit from playing in a venue where they see a dramatic monetary take from the gate. And, in the beginning weeks of the season, it may be special for these kids to play on TV because there aren't enough highlight matchups for the day.

But let's face it. Someone is likely to get embarrassed here. If not the poor FCS school who doesn't stand the remotest change to field a competitive opposition, then, the FBS school who actually loses to the little guy is going to be humiliated Nationally all day long, with repetitive game action New of the Day. Plus, if an FBS school were to lose to an FCS school [Michigan] ... goodbye rest of the season.

Sure, you could win the conference, and the media would likely give apologies for your opening performance [or lack there of]; but on a whole, the conference will suffer by having their Representative Champion playing a New Year's 6 game, even though they couldn't beat Bob's School for the Blind in week one.

I like the idea of playing an FCS opponent in a Spring or maybe, late Summer Scrimmage.

However, you tarnish the integrity of the game by playing a team whose season has no benefit playing against you, other than the cash box.

And let's face it.

We've all seen Power 5 / Group of 5 programs score as many as 60 or 70 points on these schools. Only to turn right around and lose by 40 themselves in their next game against an FBS team.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I absolutely disagree with the above comments.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:47 pm

..........or a team’s Fall Scrimmages during to run-up to the season, such as they're In currently.

Sorry, I forgot to remember all my thoughts about this subject. :wink:
Last edited by Mountainman on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:49 pm

donovan wrote:I absolutely disagree with the above comments.

......you care to share your thoughts and reasoning????

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I am opposed to the current system that has prostituted college football. I am a believer in regional scheduling. I do not care about and am unalterably opposed to this mythical National Championship that has turned great college football teams into courtesans and libertines, lesser-known programs into harlots and strumpets managed by TV Pimps and Association Madames.

We no more have a National Champion today than we did when it was rightfully decided by millions over cups of coffee at every workplace in America. 124 some teams in a contest where only 15 are even considered is as dishonest as you can get. Talk about the integrity of today's format is beyond my comprehension.

Great traditions when there was a regional game brought people of an area together for fun rivalries and great camaraderie.

Just a few where seemingly there is a mismatch, but great games have gone by the wayside or been relegated to fodder for the bloated top schools sucking the teat of corporate greed.

Alabama v UAB
Florida A&M v Central Florida
Grambling v Louisana Monroe
Boise St v Idaho State
Illinois State v Northern Illinois
Portland State v Oregon/Oregon State
Southern Utah v BYU
UC Davis v California
Eastern Washington v Washington
Northern Arizona at Arizona
Tennessee State v Middle Tennessee
Weber State v Utah
Sacramento State v Fresno State

(These, I think, are all being played this year and some are against it?)

In reality, every large school in the country had a small school nearby that played a yearly rivalry. It was good for both sides and bolstered everything good about athletic competition.

I hear touted how wonderful the SOS is. If it is such, then it should take care of these 'mismatches.' But it doesn't because like the whole system everyone in the cesspool gets the stink.

No reasoning, just my opinion. I went to my first college football game over 70 years ago.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Your decades of experience give you an advantage, in that you can compare the different eras of the game. 8)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 pm

`

I respect your opinion for it being what it is, just that. And my sentiments are not shared to influence anyone else's. They are my thought & perspectives on the topic.

That being said, I could not disagree more.

Universities are run like special interest investments for the board that sits on each. The idea that playing Football in different divisions is somehow feeding into the problem is rather disingenuous, to say the least.

True, it may make the elitists more visible when you put it on Television. But let's face it. It is not the problem. It is merely a byproduct of the educational system.

These Universities are competing like capitalist ideologues, and will continue to do so, with or without Sports programs.

Rising tuition costs inflate constantly. Even here, in South Bend where the University I & My wife both attended, IUSB, raises cost, adds new buildings, while tearing down old ones that still function.

No Sports team, other than a Basketball program the doesn't compete nationally. But the Campus is still growing.

These are not aspects of pushing the little guy down, or out of tradition. And all of those FCS Football schools are competing with each other outside of Sports just the same.

The bottom dollar is the benchmark, regardless of what teams are competing on the field of play. And every University would undermine someone else if given the opportunity.

As for those games you mention. Yes, tradition can be salvaged. But these schools have shown they care little about Tradition, both Athletically & Academically.

In the end, Universities create their own traditions. Assuming you know what traditions are best for them, base upon personally sentimental fondness is almost as arrogant as the Big Guys calling themselves the Power5, while separating away from what they call everyone else the Group of 5.

Take this into account.

Idaho vs Washington State ... There was a Traditional rivalry that became so one sided, that it became irrelevant.

Idaho had become so incapable of competing against Washington St that it hurt them more to schedule them regularly.

Now, Idaho has dropped down into the FCS ranks. But, that also allows for Idaho to reestablish their once Traditional Rivalry with Montana.

Which one is better suited for Idaho..?

Miami lambasted Florida A&M a couple years back, where the rules afforded that Florida A&M could ask for a running clock at the mid point of the 3rd quarter. Florida A&M head coach said no, to teach his team to finish the game.

Miami put up 70 points in the first three quarters of regulation, then played keep away for the final 15 minutes.

That is a Stark contrast to 1979, when Florida A&M beat Miami 16-13.

Clearly, as time has past, the gap has become so great that Florida A&M will not be able to close it.

And, when F. A&M goes on to have another embarrassing outing against the gators in Gainesville, the only thing we will have learned, is that it is not a disparaging unevenness between two Florida schools. It's a great divide between the FBS Florida schools, and the FCS Florida schools.

To that, I'll add, Florida A&M is not, nor has been, a Traditional rivalry to either Miami or Florida.

FAMU had successfully petitioned the NCAA for Division I classification (Division I-AA in football), which took effect on September 1, 1978. But then withdrew from advancement by their own choice . So, who is to blame..? The Big Schools..?

It's interesting that you'd put UAB as a qualifier with Alabama as a Tradition.

UAB's main rivals are with conference opponent Southern Miss, and Troy out of conference.

Once upon a time, UAB had a more Traditional rivalry with Memphis, which was called the Battle for the Bones (sometimes known as "The BBQ Bowl") and included both professional and amateur barbecue contests as part of the pregame festivities. The winner of the game received a traveling 100-pound bronze rack of ribs trophy, known as The Bones' trophy --- A game that has is no longer an annual contest, and both of these teams not only play in the FBS, they are both Group of 5 teams.

UAB and Memphis haven't picked up their previous rivalry, yet you cite Alabama, whom has never precluded UAB, since they were never considered Traditional common opponents.

Coincidentally enough, though; UAB & Florida A&M are in the same conference for Bowling [that is the sport Bowling with a 15 Lb ball & pins, not Bowl Game].

Yet, UAB doesn't schedule Florida A&M's football team ... I guess that doesn't qualify enough Tradition [admittedly UAB has only been in their conference since 2018, and just in Bowling].

Illinois State is not a Traditional opponent to Northern Illinois.

Southern Illinois used to be. But Southern Illinois chose to remain in Div-1AA when No Illinois jumped to 1A.

However, Northern Illinois hasn't played So Illinois in quite some time.

Last year they didn't play a single FCS program.

In 2017 they played Eastern Illinois
in 2016 they played Western Illinois
In 2015 they played Murray State
In 2014 they played Presbyterian

Notice one thing. Northern Illinois did not play the same FCS school twice. So what Tradition are we referring to?

I cannot speak for who "Traditionally" is considered a regional event out west, however, I'll leave to you to determine which of these games are Traditional, that are scheduled for this season:

Colgate @ Air Force
Portland State @ Boise State
UC Davis @ Cal
Western Illinois @ Colorado State
Central Arkansas @ Hawai'i
Cal Poly @ Oregon State
Weber State @ San Diego State
Idaho State @ Utah
Stony Brook @ Utah State
Northern Colorado @ Washington State

I get the UC Davis v Cal Berkley; but tell me, what rich Tradition are we going to get from these match ups, other than magnifying just how vast the differences in competition actually exist ..? Except in maybe the case of Oregon State, who quite possibly could lose.

Now, try this one ...

What is the Tradition from the past that would see people engaging in conversations about college football, outside of their own city & state?

The Internet provided us with the reach and communication to where we each found this same place. Without it, we never would have even had one exchange, in the Traditional sense.

The world advances forward. We are here because of those advances. If we always stayed within our comfort space, we would have not reached out across the country to chat with one another. We changed our vantage, by doing something, Unconventional/Nontraditional.

Today, this form of communication is considered archaic by social media standards.

Traditions move forward. If they hadn't, we'd still be talking off the ear of people next door who likely couldn't give two whips about what some college outside of county road 6 has to offer the sport.

That is why we are here.

You want your Water Cooler conversation. You have it. Right there at your fingertips. Your Keyboard is your Cooler. And your conversation has expanded nationally.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 pm

.........or a team’s Fall Scrimmages during the run-up to the season, such as they're In currently.

Sorry, I forgot to remember all my thoughts about this subject. :wink:
Last edited by Mountainman on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:57 pm

We have had this conversation multiple times. I see college athletics differently than most. Frankly, college boards of trustee's are derelict in their duties and college Presidents redefine wimps.

We have what we have...I live in the past.. others like the state of affairs in the United States of America.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:39 am

.........maybe I’m beating a dead horse, it appears to me as if we’re in a time when recognition triumphs over accomplishment, participation triumphs over performance and deserves it triumphs over earning it. :?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 am

Certainly not my point. As a matter of fact, the current system is participation based. In the yesteryear. You played the conference and all that mattered was wins and losses. No rigged SOS, boycotting and ESPN manipulation.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 am

.......Well, if the College Presidents, the NCAA, the conferences, or the TV guys won’t stop this nonsense of FBS schools playing FCS schools during the Regular Season then the most powerful group in the realm of College Football, the fans, are going to have to step-up and stop supporting those games.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Mountainman wrote:.......Well, if the College Presidents, the NCAA, the conferences, or the TV guys won’t stop this nonsense of FBS schools playing FCS schools during the Regular Season then the most powerful group in the realm of College Football, the fans, are going to have to step-up and stop supporting those games.

In the spirit of this discussion, I would never assume what you believe. If the purpose is to 'crown' a true National Champion then the whole format needs to change. Basketball can make a claim the have a Champion because of their single-elimination tournament with qualifying entry, regardless of the size of the school. Football not even close.

The reason " College Presidents, the NCAA, the conferences, or the TV guys won’t stop this nonsense" is because it brings in money. If it didn't it would stop immediately. There seems to be an assumption that College Presidents, the NCAA, the conferences, or the TV guys want a National Champion without tarnish...I reject that assumption. Show one piece of evidence that TV, aka $$, does not run college football.

The evidence they do, 9:00 PM start times. If I had my way, all games would be played Saturday Afternoon starting at 2:00. (On Grass)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:36 pm

`

The whole of the country has changed since those days, though.

The average household job no longer sees clocking out time at 5pm on Friday; to click back in 9 am on Monday.

People work hours round the clock, and through the weekend in our society. They are use to being up all hours of the day/night. For quite a few, 9 pm is the start of their day.

To get what you are asking for, would require changing all of society back to a moderated schedule ... not just football.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”