USC Traditions

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:19 am

Holtz was a very good coach.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:33 pm

Yeah, Holtz is definitely a legend. He also gave me my favorite sports quote of the year:

"Winning your rivalry game is like your mother-in-law losing your address"

As a college football fan, I'm glad to see the teams at the top of the polls this year.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:24 pm

yeah, it's crazy how you can be the co-big 12 offensive MVP one year, then the next have your spot given to a kid whose Daddy was good. It didn't even matter that he didn't bring us back in time to beat Colorado in the Big-12 title game, just almost doing it makes him one of the most beloved QBs in Texas history. He's going to do well coaching for Rice, he's just one of those guys that has a mental gift when it comes to offense. I met him onetime, in person he looks like the back up QB for a high school JV team, but man could that kid get his team the W.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:57 pm

rolltide wrote:I'm no bandwagoner. I was here before bama had this last good season. They had been 6-6 before that. 4-9 the year before. It sucks, but they are on the way back.

"they are on the way back"
we say this every year don't we? :lol:
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:00 pm

"they are on the way back"
we say this every year don't we?

Like every good fan. Even SC fans are probably saying it about next year. That is the nature of the beast.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:39 am

i think you could go to any D1 program and find players who were either hurt, never given an oppurtunity or were just treated like crap. the basis of the book, this huffman guy, i think all 3 cases apply. the writer found him or he found the writer and decided to bash holtz and the university. as you mentioned - nothing came about from it.

The fact that nothiing came from it tells you a lot. Huffman was just bitter about is experience. No major D-1 program is totally clean, but I think most do their best to run a clean program. The university can't know everything that is going on, but I don't think many schools or coaches sanction it. Holtz is a good football coach.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:15 am

I still can't believe Vince Young took a pay cut to play in the NFL!

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:58 am

Oh good, Rich, this will be the thread, where we don't talk trash, we have a habit of doing a few of those. It's just so fun to bring it raw in the other ones. BTW, I requested you to be on my voting team. On the poll we're doing, we were supposed to request 2 people to help us with our selections, and clearly there will be good dialogue if you are on my little voting committee.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:36 pm

It makes it more interesting when every doesn't agree. The interest level wears off pretty quick when all of us are standing in the same line.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:10 pm

I never really cared about the conference loyalty. But with the BCS, it matters A LOT. So everyone has to be a "Mack Brown" all season stumping for their conference and for their team. Because most years it comes down to who is perceived as a better team as to who goes to the BCS bowls. So if it comes down to USC and Texas both having one loss, it's just a matter of opinion who goes to the national championship game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:07 pm

We have all went at it pretty good with each other from time to time, but that is how you learn. Anyone who spends a lot of time around here will learn quite a bit about other teams and other conferences. Most who post on sites like this one know something about football, but here you get to learn about different traditions and histories of teams you would not normally even talk about in your particular region of the country.

Except Rich, living in Georgia, I'm sure he gets bombarded with information on the SEC. SEC country has the most rabid fans in the country. That is why when people say Ohio State fans act like SEC fans it doesn't offend me.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:00 am

Yeah, I live in Ohio, and get bombarded with Big-10 stuff all the time. Now I'm moving to PAC-10 country in a week, aka Mesa, AZ.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:39 am

Cheer-up on the move, Yeofoot ... I saw where it was 76 degrees there yesterday. :D

Don't forget to pack your shades. 8)

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:18 pm

Words can't describe how much I'm looking forward to getting out of Ohio. I love the people here, but the weather is crappy, and the river caught on fire before. At least I don't live in Pittsburgh.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm

Words can't describe how much I'm looking forward to getting out of Ohio. I love the people here, but the weather is crappy, and the river caught on fire before. At least I don't live in Pittsburgh.

You just need to get out of Cleveland. Cleveland is a hole when the weather is good. It is in the 50's in southern Ohio today and sunny. I played my first round of golf this afternoon. It was a little wet, but other then that everything was good.

Return to “General Discussion”