Texas vs Texas Tech

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Texas vs Texas Tech

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:01 pm

GREAT GAME!!! THAT is college football!! 8)

Texas Tech had the game, but gave it away. The last fumble is what did it, and you could see the air leave their tires after that. :lol:

Good stuff....Did anyone else see it?
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:06 pm

Only the end, but I did see where Tech was up 21-0 or something early. Nice win by Texas. They are missing several defensive players and the rest must have stood up in the second half.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:08 am

There is no "northern twang" in WVA. :lol: :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:38 am

Footnote wrote:The twang is coming from those states by the Great Lakes. The winner of The Game wants WVa. (Who wouldn't when the other choices are Texas or Auburn)

Let's play the TWO QUESTION GAME: 8)

Ready ..... here's the first question .... Think hard!!! :wink:

1. What is the name of the team, who's colors are scarlet and grey, beat Texas earlier this season? :roll:

Ready for the second question? Remember to Think Hard!!! :wink:

2. What is the name of the team, who's colors are old gold and blue, beat the MIGHTY SEC Champion in last year's Sugar Bowl? :roll:

Bevo's processed hay and grain are supposed to be on the outside of your boots, not between your ears. :lol: :D :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:59 am

I've been thinking for the past few weeks that the NC game will be between West Virginia and Ohio State. "The Games" aren't going to be as big and great as people think they are going to be:

1. Michigan will contain Ohio State offensively, but we aren't going to have enough firepower to hang with the Buckeyes. Ohio State is in control all game and it will be boring from the get-go.

2. West Virginia/Louisville will be another boring game that will get hyped up like crazy. West Virginia is going to dominate this game with a rusty Brian Brohm, and the 'Eers will win by about 15-20 points.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:15 am

Man-o-man ..... I truly wish I had your confidence in that happening Eric .... that is, as far as the Mountaineers are concerned. :?

The Mountaineers have a tough row to hoe .... their schedule is in front of them and there are 3 games on that schedule they could very easily loose.

First up, Louisville, these guys ain't no slouch ... explosive offense and a fast defense. By the way, they are a top ten team .......

Next, Pitt, rivalry game ... don't think for one minute the Panthers can't knock off the Mountaineers.

Last, Rutgers, these guys can line up and RUN the football and they've got a fast defense to go with it. That's a lethal combination that any team in the nation can fall victim to. And let's not forget they are a top 20 team, top 15 in some polls.

The Mountaineers have a long way to go before even beginning to think about winning the dag-gum conference, much less anything more than that . And it all starts this Thursday night with the Cardinals. :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:22 am

Footnote wrote:The twang is coming from those states by the Great Lakes. The winner of The Game wants WVa. (Who wouldn't when the other choices are Texas or Auburn)

Why would they want to play an unknown. When they could play someone they have two direct games to study .

Ohio State doesn't match up with West Virginia as well as they do with Texas. West Virginia has, likely, the best running back in all of college football and Ohio State's defensive weakness is the run.

Michigan appears to match up pretty well with West Virginia, but they have had some problems against teams with mobile quarterbacks.

You can say what you want about the B-East being weak, but I don't think West Virginia takes a back seat to anyone this year. Louisville has been playing like they are a step behind WVU, but they have a chance to get it together this week.

It is very likely a B-10 team is a lock for the NC game. One thing I know for sure is that both eligible teams from the B-10 want to play the best available team in that game. Buckeye fans are rooting for Manningham to be back at full strength for the game in Columbus because they don't want any excuses if they win the game. I am sure Michigan wants the same. If these two teams were afraid of competition, they wouldn't play each other on the last game of the year(every year). They would play the fifth game or something so the loser would have a chance to come back.

The B-10 coaches, if anything, wouldn't want WVU or Louisville in the title game because that just makes recruiting competition that much harder. I don't think Joe Paterno wants anymore competition in Pennsylvania then he has now. I know Jim Tressel doesn't.

Texas had a great team last year. They have a great team this year as well, but so does West Virginia and Louisville(and possibly Rutgers). This is big time college football, top teams aren't afraid to play other top teams. If that were the case Ohio State and Texas would have never played.

I don't think the B-10 coaches could vote West Virginia or Louisville in front of Texas by themselves, without support from other coaches from around the country. Also the votes, while they are not made public, are looked at by USA Today to make sure the coaches are voting ethically. If coaches were voting as a block for one team or another, those coaches would be kicked out of the process.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:38 am

mountainman wrote:
The Mountaineers have a tough row to hoe .... their schedule is in front of them and there are 3 games on that schedule they could very easily loose. Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers.

I call your tough three games and raise you. South Carolina, Tennessee and LSU.

Which three would you prefer?
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:28 am

Actually the average rankings of West Virginia's three teams is higher then that of Arkansas. It is all perception.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:52 am

Footnote wrote: You've got to believe that a couple of coaches from the frozen tundra are voting UT low in the coaches' poll . . . . WVa. :wink: :lol:

Apparently cold weather increases correct voting.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:09 am

Spence wrote:
Footnote wrote: Also the votes, while they are not made public, are looked at by USA Today to make sure the coaches are voting ethically. If coaches were voting as a block for one team or another, those coaches would be kicked out of the process.

I am sure you are right in the process...but as non biased and disinterested you appear to be in your olio of posts, you can not be that Pollyana to believe that voting systems are not tainted.

It has been reported, in USA Today, (which most frequent flyers that daily read that "complimentary" paper in airports will tell you, they seldom get the news straight...sports and finance specificlly) that the Head Coaches have not even been the one submitting the votes.

I think you are right in your assessment that most coaches want to go up against the best teams, that is their nature. But I am not so sure I can agree on the sacroscantness of polling, that, at least vocally on news casts, coaches do not care about.

Prediction: Louisville is a much better team than given credit for and will win over West Virginia.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:39 am

I think a ready-to-go Brian Brohm and a healthy Michael Bush would beat up pretty good on West Virginia, but that's not the case. U of L just is not playing very well. They didn't play well against Kansas State, Syracuse, or Cincinnati. I don't think it's a coincidence at this point. Brohm has not been his usual self.

Of course all of those games are on the road. Louisville is a different team at home. That will make it closer than it would be at West Virginia. I still think WVU wins by 10-15 points. Maybe 20 was a little rash :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:01 am

RazorHawk wrote:
mountainman wrote:
The Mountaineers have a tough row to hoe .... their schedule is in front of them and there are 3 games on that schedule they could very easily loose. Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers.

I call your tough three games and raise you. South Carolina, Tennessee and LSU.

Which three would you prefer?

Well if my choices are 3 out of Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, or LSU ....... how about none of the above? :roll:

They're all good teams, and if anybody doesn't know that they haven't been paying attention. 8)

The Razorbacks and the Mountaineers are working the same patch of tough ground and both will be put to the test. One missed step and it's over. That's the way it should be. Wouldn't want it any other way. Don't want to slip in the back door, don't want to sneak in the side door .... much better to be invited through the front door. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:02 am

I don't believe any polling system is without bias. It can't be without bias because polling by it's very nature is opinion. That makes it subjective. While I do believe coaches from different areas of the country prop up teams from their region. I think it has more to do with their level of contact then it does with some sort of ethical malfunction. These guys are human and they put value on the conferences that they have the most contact. An SEC guy might not think the PAC-10 is as tough as it is because until recently, they haven't had much contact. Same goes for the PAC-10's attitude towards the SEC. The styles of football are very different. They make judgements based on their beliefs. They may be valid in some cases, not valid in others but I don't think that, for the most part they are unethical. And yes most head coaches do not vote their own ballot, I know that also, but most do approve their own ballot.

I also know that reporters don't usually get the facts straight in their stories or they print the story from their opinion of what the facts are in the story. But that is very different then looking at a coaches top 25 and seeing that, for example, Michigan isn't in a coaches top 10 and they are in every other top 10. It would be expected that coaches from one region would have teams that play in that region ranked higher then normal, but it is balanced by the fact that every region is that way. The AP works the same way.

PS I am not unbiased, I am a total Buckeye homer. I just try not to follow them blindly.

Return to “General Discussion”