Stay Warm Out There

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Stay Warm Out There

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:31 am

We're looking at negative 24 degrees, with wind chills likely to reach below minus 40 tonight.

To give a little perspective, on Friday, the temperatures will be 60 degrees warmer, at 20 degrees, which is still 12 degrees below the water freezing level.

I hope you are all staying safe. Stay bundled up, and drive safely.

Sometimes being a safe driver is being aware of other's driving. I have seen where there have been fatalities on the roads over the last coupe of days, and thought to myself, I had never put myself in a place where my life was in danger --- which is when it hit me; what if someone else on the road made driving conditions unavoidable?

So be mindful & alert.

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stay Warm Out There

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 am

We are toasty warm compared to you sitting at 1 above currently.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:03 am

Stay warm and hydrate..when did we start saying hydrate...Drink plenty of water.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am

We got down to -2 this morning. Not bad considering what Chicago was last night. We have two sources of heat and running water, every thing is good.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:04 am

Cozy at 14 degrees....

Will warm up today...bright and sunny...going to 40 degrees.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:24 am

I kissed my mother-in-law once, 52+ years ago and for some never explained reason the term "polar-vortex" popped into my mind...so many years later things do become clear.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am

:lol: :lol:

We are going up to 12 today and 28 overnight. Heading the right direction.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:55 pm

Temps are certainly on the rise here. We are currently sitting at 1 degree and snowing. Yesterday was one to remember, I woke up to my gauge reading -58. It measures wind chill and gives a more accurate how it feels temp, not simply air temp. I was very glad that the Postal Service cancelled delivery. Whats really crazy is that they are predicting 50 degrees on Monday. We are going to see a 100 degree difference in a matter of days. Baseball season is coming, I just keep telling myself that.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:00 pm

donovan wrote:Stay warm and hydrate..when did we start saying hydrate...Drink plenty of water.

Alot of people fail to understand that this is important even in winter. I have 2 tumblers that help keep my water drinkable, cool in the summer, unfrozen in the winter. My first year as a postal worker, I used an old gatorade bottle. Water started icing over in my truck while I was on the route. Keep in mind, I have a driving route, thats with the heat running. It may not be as cold as outside but its far from warm.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:36 pm

highfly24 wrote:Temps are certainly on the rise here. We are currently sitting at 1 degree and snowing. Yesterday was one to remember, I woke up to my gauge reading -58. It measures wind chill and gives a more accurate how it feels temp, not simply air temp. I was very glad that the Postal Service cancelled delivery. Whats really crazy is that they are predicting 50 degrees on Monday. We are going to see a 100 degree difference in a matter of days. Baseball season is coming, I just keep telling myself that.

-58 is crazy wind chill. We don't have anything close to that here. Stay safe.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:38 pm

It turned out to be a very informative couple days. News reports stated that frostbite could occur in around 7 mins for exposed skin, with initial danger in as little as 3. I stepped out briefly, 72 secs, fully bundled and I believe them. I discovered what ice quakes are, and more specific what they sound like. This would have been useful info prior to falling asleep Tues night, but around 1am I got to hear them. It was much later before I knew what I had heard. Finally, I learned that Weds was colder here than it was in Siberia. Coldest temps here since 1885, I really hope its another 100+ years before we see it again. Unfortunately, I heard there were a couple deaths in the area due to the cold.

resize cold.JPG

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 pm

I've never heard an ice quake. I have heard people talk about them, but it doesn't get super cold like that where I am in Ohio. Even through this, the coldest it got was -4. Usually in January we hang out in the 20's with maybe an occasional period in the teens or single digits.

We have a Husky and some people were complaining that we didn't bring her in the house during this cold snap. While she has a insulated dog house she prefers to spend most of the time out of it because she truly loves this weather. She runs around playing all day long. If I would bring her in she would hate it. Now in August when it is 90 outside she can't move and is miserable. I bought her a pool that she gets in to cool off for most of the day. I'm thinking, though, that -58 would be enough for her to want in the house.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 am

Well, our big heat wave finally hit ...

At 2 a.m. the air temperature got all the way up to O.

It's 20 minutes til 9, and we are now in the plus side, at 3 degrees. The windchill is still -13, but not anywhere near the -51 in between Wednesday & Thursday.

If you had looked at the US weather map, it was a heck of an anomaly the last few days. When the brunt of the cold hit, the worst of it mostly sat North outside the US just above Minnesota in Canada, then down into the Northern Peninsula of Michigan at the extreme North West of the Lake; then skipping the rest of the region until it settled at the bottom 5th of Lake Michigan.

It was a cold band that wrapped around the Southern tip, from the Chicago Land area in the west, to about Berrain Springs Michigan on the eastern side.

Many Northern Indiana got caught in that band. Gary - Cedar Lake - Crown Point - Lydick - New Carlisle - South Bend - Granger - Mishawaka - Osceola - Elkhart - all got hit.

The most effected was Lydick. They lost power for 5 hours, which is something terrible. Evidently, a power line from one power service fell atop of another company's line, leaving the entire town without electricity.

I have new found respect for what the weather man was saying at the beginning of the week. He was calling for -32 degree wind chills, and said it was by his estimation a conservative projection; that we could see temperatures as much as 20 degrees colder. He wasn't wrong.

Hearing -32 degrees had me shrug. I'd been through that before. The possibility of negative 40 made me shudder. It's only hit that cold in my memory twice. I never thought I would ever see below 50 degrees in my lifetime. And to think that they are calling for +25 degrees today by noon is head shaking.

They had said our temperatures were colder here than in Antarctica.

What happened to all of that Global Warming Al Gore promised us. I could sure use some of that.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 pm

In Antarctica's defense, it is the middle of summer for them right now. They are at 32. If you want to make a good comparison you would have to check their temp now with your temp in July. :lol:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:39 pm

I think the comparison was suppose to be midwinter of last year ... or our summer 2018.

Else wise, we would be colder at this time of year on an annual basis. I cannot remember a winter where we didn't get below 32 degrees. Well, maybe back in December 1980 to February 1981. I vaguely recall Christmas was in the 60's that year. We were outside playing Football in T-Shirts and Jeans, rather than Boots & Snow Suits --- though, I was only 6 years old back then, so I might be off on the year.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”