Sports Betting

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Sports Betting

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 am

These guys are so late in this conversation. As much as we talk about ESPN, when the topic is brought up we all seem to have an inkling who runs college sports, as other venues.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/magazine/sports-betting-washington.html?emc=edit_nn_p_20190129&nl=morning-briefing&nlid=74975862ion%3DlongRead&section=longRead&te=1
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Sports Betting

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm

I'd have bet that you would have said that.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:35 pm

We all know that betting plays a part in sports. I'm not sure the big sports books run the sports, but they basically run the guys how bet, and the guys who bet run the ratings. That is the reason anyone other than a fan of a school or a few junkies like us watch the games is if they have a stake in the outcome. I don't think it is fixed or anything that sinister, but TV sells the games to advertisers who are paying for eyes on games. ESPN and others who live in that realm have a vested interest to lobby for games that would draw bettor's interest. I think that drives how teams are picked in the playoffs. I think that influences the other bowl games. Kids sitting out for whatever reason has something to do with it too. If a QB is going to pass on the bowl game and his team is a 4 point favorite, if you get on the right side of that wager you could make some money.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 am

billybud wrote:I'd have bet that you would have said that.

Odds on favorites will keep you broke.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:28 pm

As much as I agree with the Supreme Court overturning gambling bans (10th Amendment and such), I don't like the idea of gambling on games being controlled by the Fed's or States.

All they are going to do is TAX everything like they already do. And I'm not even going to broach the subject of the moral aspects of gambling in this thread. No, I have never played the lottery. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm

I have been to Vegas Reno many times for various reasons, none to do with gambling. I don't gamble either. Of course, neither do the people running the programs.

Government regulation of most anything does not work. Never was the purpose of government to be regulatory save very specific areas. Football gambling was not one of them.

Return to “General Discussion”