Bar-B-Que Bowl

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Bar-B-Que Bowl

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Oh my, this has possibilities for regional matchups....

East Carolina vinegar based Que vs weast of Lexington, NC tomato based Ques...Memphis dry rub vs Kansas City...Texas beef Bar B Que (tough, stringy jerky), vs southern pork butts...

https://wcti12.com/sports/content/repor ... me-in-2020
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Bar-B-Que Bowl

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:04 pm

I love the idea of "pitting" schools from the different barbecue regions against each other in a "Barbecue Bowl".

Pun intended...love me some pit Bar-B-Que.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 am

billybud wrote:I love the idea of "pitting" schools from the different barbecue regions against each other in a "Barbecue Bowl".

Pun intended...love me some pit Bar-B-Que.

There isn't much in the way of BBQ that I won't eat. I have tried it from every region and find that I like it all.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

I like Bar-B-Que. Not much I don't. Here's my 'rub.' In the West, Bar-B-Que is always advertised 'Southern" or "Texas Style." There is not one on every corner and it is not a regional pastime. Even in the stores, the sauces are always identified with the part of the country that didn't want to be a part. The same area that brought us red and white 'fried', as Mr. billybud points out, is something, but not fried, chicken.

The Northwest is outdoorsy. I think the West and a few other states are. We just like to cook outdoors, and though it is not relevant to Bar-B-Que, a campfire produces some great food. And smoking is a national pastime...well both smoking's.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:36 pm

donovan wrote:I like Bar-B-Que. Not much I don't. Here's my 'rub.' In the West, Bar-B-Que is always advertised 'Southern" or "Texas Style." There is not one on every corner and it is not a regional pastime. Even in the stores, the sauces are always identified with the part of the country that didn't want to be a part. The same area that brought us red and white 'fried', as Mr. billybud points out, is something, but not fried, chicken.

The Northwest is outdoorsy. I think the West and a few other states are. We just like to cook outdoors, and though it is not relevant to Bar-B-Que, a campfire produces some great food. And smoking is a national pastime...well both smoking's.

The kick butt on smoked salmon and diver scallops in the pacific northwest -- and Crab. Better than Maryland's blue.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 pm

I am a gulf coast blue crab guy....She crab soup (you need blue crabs)....crab cakes (you need blue crab to do it right)....Fried crab claws with cocktail sauce...you just dip it. ..crab stuffed flounder...crab and shrimp etouffee....deviled crab...and on and on

I have furnished many a dinner from crabbing.

And I have never had king crab, dungeness, or other pacific crabs...my wife will order a mound...but if they don' have a blue crab dish...I keep reading the menu.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:58 pm

billybud wrote:I am a gulf coast blue crab guy....She crab soup (you need blue crabs)....crab cakes (you need blue crab to do it right)....Fried crab claws with cocktail sauce...you just dip it. ..crab stuffed flounder...crab and shrimp etouffee....deviled crab...and on and on

I have furnished many a dinner from crabbing.

And I have never had king crab, dungeness, or other pacific crabs...my wife will order a mound...but if they don' have a blue crab dish...I keep reading the menu.

I'm not against Blue crab and I love She crab soup, but you need to try the others you mention. Even snow clusters are really good. King is outstanding. The only thing that keeps me from eating my weight in King crab is the price. You do have to learn how to crack snow crab or you lose a lot of meat.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:28 pm

I watch my wife and friends with their crab legs at one of our restaurants on King crab night.

I have to avert my eyes and they do chuckle at my wry comments.

But an atavastic scene always comes to my mind...the flickering candle emulating a small fire, the enthusiastic cracking of legs...I see grunting hominids around a fire cracking bones, slurping as they suck out the marrow. No conversation..just furrowed brow, grunts, and concentration on the destruction of the pile of bones. Truly a frightning display.

Much less elegant than having a crab etouffee served in a tureen at a silver set table accompanied with a very dry Savignon Blanc and a loaf of french bread.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:57 pm

It can work that way. Actually in lots of places king crab comes precut to make it easier. A guy I know that serves the Vegas market has mad a living by doing that very thing. When it comes to the smaller snow crab and such, there is a trick to it. If you know the trick you can get the meat out fairly easy - except for the claw - if there is a trick to the claw I have yet to find it. Regardless, you are right, it is more like eating at a rib house than a fine dining experience. Still, in my mind anyway, I would rather crack a couple pounds of king crab than eat a prime strip steak sometimes. While I like She crab soup, various forms of crab dip, and crab cakes. The meat from king crab is one of the best things I have ever eaten. And I'm not civilized enough for wine of any kind. My wife has tried to make me develop a taste for it. Trips to Napa and wine tastings. But in the end give me a good Scottish red ale and I'm good in most cases. Some Pappy Van Winkle on special occasions. I have very simple tastes.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Not really a beer guy...I like a good wine or a good bourbon. We do go out to local breweries and I'll drink a Possum Drop Porter or good browmn ale...but I'd rather have a glass of wine or a bourbon.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:35 pm

King Crab in Alaska is very good. And yes there is a trick that makes it much easier than has been rustically described. For my taste, Dungeness Crab is the best. The key to all fish, shell, sea, and mollusks is on the table hours after catching. I like King Salmon, but silver then it has been out of the water for two hours when eaten is hard to beat. And cooked right doesn't need anything on it. Up and down the Oregon and Washington Coast fresh product is available in season. You have to get it then because like anywhere, it is always available, just not as fresh. A day makes a difference.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:17 am

Yep...my wife and I are with you on "fresh"....a lifetime on the gulf coast has taught my tastebuds...I can immediately tell, on first bite, a fresh from the gulf shrimp. Grouper, if fresh frozen correctly, is more difficult to detect.

But...now days, so much advertised as "fresh" is actually fresh frozen, We can still get shrimp, grouper, mullet, etc fresh from the boat...But most restaurants really don't receive fresh seafood....85% of the seafood we eat is imported. As far as salmon goes, I probably have never eaten fresh wild salmon.

400 miles from the coast, where we are, everything is frozen....our local fish counter has what is advertised as "fresh, wild caught" shrimp....I questioned them about that claim...they said it was fresh when frozen....duh...you freeze spoiled shrimp?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 pm

billybud wrote:Yep...my wife and I are with you on "fresh"....a lifetime on the gulf coast has taught my tastebuds...I can immediately tell, on first bite, a fresh from the gulf shrimp. Grouper, if fresh frozen correctly, is more difficult to detect.

But...now days, so much advertised as "fresh" is actually fresh frozen, We can still get shrimp, grouper, mullet, etc fresh from the boat...But most restaurants really don't receive fresh seafood....85% of the seafood we eat is imported. As far as salmon goes, I probably have never eaten fresh wild salmon.

400 miles from the coast, where we are, everything is frozen....our local fish counter has what is advertised as "fresh, wild caught" shrimp....I questioned them about that claim...they said it was fresh when frozen....duh...you freeze spoiled shrimp?

I'll NEVER understand why we have to import seafood....We have more coastline than just about any country in the world, except for Russia.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Derek wrote:
billybud wrote:Yep...my wife and I are with you on "fresh"....a lifetime on the gulf coast has taught my tastebuds...I can immediately tell, on first bite, a fresh from the gulf shrimp. Grouper, if fresh frozen correctly, is more difficult to detect.

I'll NEVER understand why we have to import seafood....We have more coastline than just about any country in the world, except for Russia.

They do it cheaper. People would have to buy the American produced products. Unfortunately we can catch it and sell it to China to be processed, then buy it back from them cheaper than we can do it ourselves. China is starting to do the same thing with pork. They own Smithfield - whose brands include Armour, Eckrich, Farmland, John Morrell, and Patrick Cudahy among others - they are selling them the raw product and processing it in China. Beef, Pork, and Chicken have more regulation and rules than seafood so it will never get that bad, but it is happening in those industries too. As long as people will accept that at cheaper pricing, it is going to happen.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Seafood, in Florida waters, is pretty highly regulated. You must have the proper licenses, bring fish in that fit the slot (size) limits and catch season...and the wholesale seafood houses that buy from fishers must present trip tickets..species, number, total weight and date bought.

Gill nets and seine nets were legislated to be of a certain size in 1995. No more running 600 yard gill nets around schools of mullet. No more drift nets.

Where you can bulldoze 1,000 hectares of mangrove to farm shrimp in asia, in the US you can't trim the tree without a permit.

Restaurant and vseafood houses are randomly tested for correct species identification by taking dna samples.

Return to “General Discussion”