FSU & Bluegrass

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

FSU & Bluegrass

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Since Donovan brought up 'bluegrass"....it brought to mind a little piece of football trivia.

The first national broadcast of FSU was at the Bluegrass Bowl...and it was also the first national broadcast featuring Howard Cosell.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: FSU & Bluegrass

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:48 pm

That is great trivia. Howard Cossell was a great entertaining announcer. Everything sounded like it was a news report of the greatest concern. Back in those days you believed the announcers, there was no fact-checking. I long for the olden days, the golden needs to drop the 'g'.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Speaking of grass...I remember in 1960 when the Dallas Cowboys first started they played their exhibition game in Portland against the LA Rams. Norm Van Brocklin was the QB for the Rams and a guy, Eddie Lebaron was the QB for the Cowboys. LeBaron was maybe 5'6" and Van Brocklin was huge. It was a rainy night, they played at Multnomah Stadium which had a dog racing track around it. The grass quickly turned to mud. The Rams were in all-white uniforms and the Cowboys they same Gray and Blue. At the end of the game, everyone was mud brown, helmet to shoes except QB Norm Van Brocklin. His uniform was a white as it started. Never touched. Teenage memories.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Semper Fi Eddie...

USMC Sports Hall of Famer.

And another great link to the greatest announcing team of all time.

Don Meredith also quarterbacked the Cowboys with Lebaron.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:40 pm

And, going back to the 1960 season...I loved Charlie Tolar...known as the Human bowling ball. He bulled into the line, head down and knocking linemen back.

At 5'6", around 200, he was quick through the hole....and he, Billy Cannon and George Blanda won an AFL championship for the Oilers.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm

donovan wrote:Speaking of grass...I remember in 1960 when the Dallas Cowboys first started they played their exhibition game in Portland against the LA Rams. Norm Van Brocklin was the QB for the Rams and a guy, Eddie Lebaron was the QB for the Cowboys. LeBaron was maybe 5'6" and Van Brocklin was huge. It was a rainy night, they played at Multnomah Stadium which had a dog racing track around it. The grass quickly turned to mud. The Rams were in all-white uniforms and the Cowboys they same Gray and Blue. At the end of the game, everyone was mud brown, helmet to shoes except QB Norm Van Brocklin. His uniform was a white as it started. Never touched. Teenage memories.

That game predates my memory. Actually it predates me by about a year. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 am

I was already trying to sneek peeks at Playboys on the news rack....

You youngsters missed YA Tittle, Johnny Unitas, Norm Van Brocklin...and the best of Fran Tarkenton and George Blanda.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am

billybud wrote:I was already trying to sneek peeks at Playboys on the news rack....

You youngsters missed YA Tittle, Johnny Unitas, Norm Van Brocklin...and the best of Fran Tarkenton and George Blanda.

I saw Tarkenton play lots. I only remember Blanda with the Raiders when he was older. I have a memory of Unitas, but not a good one, for what ever reason. I can't recall ever seeing him play in a game. My best memories of the NFL, though, was in the 70's.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am

billybud wrote:I was already trying to sneek peeks at Playboys on the news rack....

Yes...and National Geographic and the Sears Roebuck Catalog (For those of you that are clueless, we didn't have Victoria Secrets

...and Tom Fears who caught Van Brocklin's passes, crazylegs Hirsch, Otto Graham, this he played for the Browns, Frank Gifford, so many...loved it. Oh...and from, I think Ohio State in it's glory days, Lou Groza, a kicker like Blanda who changed so many games.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 pm

donovan wrote:

Yes...and National Geographic and the Sears Roebuck Catalog (For those of you that are clueless, we didn't have Victoria Secrets

...and Tom Fears who caught Van Brocklin's passes, crazylegs Hirsch, Otto Graham, this he played for the Browns, Frank Gifford, so many...loved it. Oh...and from, I think Ohio State in it's glory days, Lou Groza, a kicker like Blanda who changed so many games.

I get the reference. I didn't get to see Ohio State in the 50's when Woody was in his prime. I did get to see Jack Tatum come with bad intentions to many receivers.

Return to “General Discussion”