Post Your "Make You Think" Questions

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post Your "Make You Think" Questions

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:42 pm

1. Would a program ever be considered a dynasty if it never won a national title? Like 10-12 win seasons, conference championships, bowl wins, but never the big one.
2. Would you rather "your" team beat its rival 10 seasons straight but never win a national title, or beat your rival one season out of ten and win one national title?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Post Your "Make You Think" Questions

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:12 am

Understanding dynasties make last for a long time, but not forever, there are football dynasties that have never won a national title. (Until a few years ago there was not National Title, just people giving their opinion whether by polling or just water-cooler conversation. Here are a few "dynasties" that come to mind, they may not be now, but have been in my lifetime. Grambling, USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida State, Michigan, Army, Navy...just a few.

I would rather win my conference and the bowl game associated with the conference. My life has always been, win the Rose Bowl and there was nothing better. That was then now is now.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

donovan wrote:Understanding dynasties make last for a long time, but not forever, there are football dynasties that have never won a national title. (Until a few years ago there was not National Title, just people giving their opinion whether by polling or just water-cooler conversation. Here are a few "dynasties" that come to mind, they may not be now, but have been in my lifetime. Grambling, USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida State, Michigan, Army, Navy...just a few.

I would rather win my conference and the bowl game associated with the conference. My life has always been, win the Rose Bowl and there was nothing better. That was then now is now.

The Rose Still matters in Big 10 country too. The playoff actually makes it harder for some teams to get there now. I agree will Donovan's take on football Dynasties.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Post Your "Make You Think" Quest

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 pm

How about an 8 team playoff for the National Title?

The Power 5 Conference Champions plus 3 others chosen by whatever, using the Major Bowls as the sites for 7 games.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 pm

I am cool with that. Hey, I just watched an interesting video on YouTube about Colorado Buffaloes and the 2001 season. I knew th season ending thumping of Nebraska, but didn't know the whole deal about 9/11 messing up the game with Washington State.

So, BCS national title then. Should it have been Miami vs Oregon, Colorado, or Nebraska? It another team?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 am

My make you think? Where did the fullback go?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 am

1. No.
2. 10 straight seasons of beating the Jackets and the Gators. That's more important than a NC to me....
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:52 am

I would always rather beat TTUN than any other game. The ultimate would be for them to make the playoff after we beat them in The Game and then beat them again for the natty.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 am

Did Alabama’s weak regular season schedule contribute to their blowout loss in the National Title Game???
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:Did Alabama’s weak regular season schedule contribute to their blowout loss in the National Title Game???

I don't think so. I think Alabama is so used to scripting the game that it has always just gone that way. When Clemson disrupted the script nobody knew what to do. Defense was confused and the offense was stymied. Most of all the Coaches didn't know what to do.

I think Clemson's plan was to just do what they did, 'throw them off their game.'
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:55 pm

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Did Alabama’s weak regular season schedule contribute to their blowout loss in the National Title Game???

I don't think so. I think Alabama is so used to scripting the game that it has always just gone that way. When Clemson disrupted the script nobody knew what to do. Defense was confused and the offense was stymied. Most of all the Coaches didn't know what to do.

I think Clemson's plan was to just do what they did, 'throw them off their game.'

You’re probably right, but what I saw was a Bama team that played a couple of good teams, in LSU and Mississippi State, during the regular season. Then got whipped by Georgia on the field, but won the game, jumped all over Oklahoma, but let them back in it, and after the 1st quarter of play in the title game got absolutely beat down by Clemson....... the Tide appeared to me as if they were a little soft and lacked the mental toughness and determination they’ve shown in the past. Just wondering if things came too easy for them during their regular season play.......

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 pm

I think that no matter what kind of talent is on the field that when players start believing the hype that they go into game expecting people to lay down in front of them. They don't work as hard and things still go their way - until they don't. Ohio State wasn't as talented as Alabama, but that same thing happened to them this year. Coaches see the problems, but they are winning so they don't rock the boat. Then comes the rude awakening. That doesn't mean Clemson wasn't better than Alabama, but I don't think they were THAT much better. Clemson worked harder, they were hungry, and they wanted to win.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Spence wrote:I think that no matter what kind of talent is on the field that when players start believing the hype that they go into game expecting people to lay down in front of them. They don't work as hard and things still go their way - until they don't. Ohio State wasn't as talented as Alabama, but that same thing happened to them this year. Coaches see the problems, but they are winning so they don't rock the boat. Then comes the rude awakening. That doesn't mean Clemson wasn't better than Alabama, but I don't think they were THAT much better. Clemson worked harder, they were hungry, and they wanted to win.

Yep..... as a Mountaineer Fan I’ll take to the grave the 13 - 9 loss to a 4 - 7 Pitt team in the final game of the season with a spot in the National Title Game against the Buckeyes at stake. Too many Big Play touchdowns by Pat White and Steve Slaton kinda got between the ears of that team and they forgot how to get it done inside the 10 yard line, along with a ‘far-out-dude’ doing the placekicking....... :?

.........along with a distracted coaching staff that had future plans which is similar to what’s happening currently at Alabama.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Weak? Compared to who?

BAMA ended up playing 8 top 30 teams (6 in season...two in playoffs). Four top 10 teams (2 in regular season).

Alabama played 4 teams in the final Coaches Poll (6 including playoffs)

Pretty highly ranked SOS...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 pm

They beat Georgia (ugly, but did not fold)...they beat LSU...and don't discount A&M who finished #16 Coaches and AP, nor Miss State who finished ranked (Coaches Poll).

Oklahoma was taken out early (0-21 1st qtr) and Bama coasted to an 11 point win.

One might ask, did Oklahoma's weak schedule not prepare them for Alabama? I guess they can be thankful that they didn't draw Clemson.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”