Transfers-Anyone Know How Many Players.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Transfers-Anyone Know How Many Players.....

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 pm

---

I do not know what exactly the specifics were. I can't get a clear answer from anyone.

I haven't heard that Ohio State attempted to black list him --- I do know that Miami worked with the NCAA and Ohio State to press things along.

Precisely what Ohio State's involvement was this late in the process is not clear. But blocking him from playing would have to be agenda based. Or a leverage thing. Right now, I am unaware of any conflicts or disputes between the Universities at hand.

The other explanation would be a possible vendetta against Martell by someone in the OSU Athletics office. I don't prescribe to that sort of talk, generally.

On the surface, it appears that Miami reached out to Ohio State to help getting the decision sooner. The NCAA had initially said that their ruling on Martell's case would be no later than two weeks ago. Well, that time had come & gone, and the NCAA seemed to be foot dragging on their decision.

Regardless, the conspiracy hounds will always hypothesize.

And the, "Us against the World" mentality of many Hurricanes fans, will latch onto any idea that gives them validation.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:58 am

My suspicion is that the NCAA took pause due to the potential impact to a program if they allowed players to enter the transfer portal because a coach left a program. I can imagine the consequences a number of ways, such as, players leaving due to a coach leaving, players leaving due to the new coach being hired, players threating to leave if a school fired a coach with cause, players threating to leave if a replacement coach was not one they prefer........ as been shown in the past, I suspect the NCAA in their attempt to address the pressures and calls for players to be paid and the challenges to the definition of ‘student athlete’ did not think all the scenarios through. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:26 am

Historically, even with a signed document, athletes were expressly told they were signing with the school and if the coach should leave, they were still bound to their signing. I suspect as more scrutiny has come to the NCAA and the pressure to make changes, the students allowing to transfer, willy nilly, was to deflect bigger issues. Pretty easy to say now,"If you don't like it, leave."

When the Millenials, and it won't be long, take over the college administrations, all of this nonsense and I suspect, the NCAA will be gone. Unless of course, Millenials, have human frailties and are susceptible to greed, graft and corruption, like their predecessors.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 pm

donovan wrote:Historically, even with a signed document, athletes were expressly told they were signing with the school and if the coach should leave, they were still bound to their signing. I suspect as more scrutiny has come to the NCAA and the pressure to make changes, the students allowing to transfer, willy nilly, was to deflect bigger issues. Pretty easy to say now,"If you don't like it, leave."

When the Millenials, and it won't be long, take over the college administrations, all of this nonsense and I suspect, the NCAA will be gone. Unless of course, Millenials, have human frailties and are susceptible to greed, graft and corruption, like their predecessors.

As a parent of a millennial, I can absolutely say that they are at least as susceptible to greed, graft, and corruption. They consider it a birthright.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:25 am

Mountainman wrote:My suspicion is that the NCAA took pause due to the potential impact to a program if they allowed players to enter the transfer portal because a coach left a program. I can imagine the consequences a number of ways, such as, players leaving due to a coach leaving, players leaving due to the new coach being hired, players threatening to leave if a school fired a coach with cause, players threatening to leave if a replacement coach was not one they prefer........ as been shown in the past, I suspect the NCAA in their attempt to address the pressures and calls for players to be paid and the challenges to the definition of ‘student athlete’ did not think all the scenarios through. :wink:

We saw something like this when Rodriguez got fired by Arizona. UA was looking at possibly hiring Ken Niumatalolo. When they chose Kevin Sumlin as the next head coach, an article came out saying a twitter post Khalil Tate might have influenced the University's decision.

Tate's tweeted: "I didn't come to Arizona to run the Triple Option"

Sumlin was hired shortly afterwards.

And last season, in November, Tate was flexing his influential muscle [ego] when this article was released:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... el-mazzone

It looks as though Tate didn't succeed with that bluff, however. As both he & Mazzone are still at the program.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”