Transfers-Anyone Know How Many Players.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Transfers-Anyone Know How Many Players.....

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Reports say Martell is going to Miami......... this Transfer Portal along with the new Transfer Rules has created quite a whirlwind once a domino falls, especially with the quarterback spot.

I didn't want to say anything, because you posted that comment of how he might fit with the new Mountaineer scheme. Both Martell and Jalen Hurts have been transfer options for Miami.

The question about Hurts, was his single year of eligibility, and Miami was going to continue pressing for other QB prospects.

Hurts was figured to come, but I guess he didn't want to risk having to sit if Miami also brought in Martell. So, Tate to Miami, Jalen to Oklhoma.

I think the Sooners will be a great fit for Hurts. We've already seen what a mobile quarterback can do in that offense. Two consecutive Heisman winners.

Lincoln Riley gets another reprieve. He has another year before he has to replace a one shot QB.

The Mountaineers reportedly got their grad transfer with 2 years eligibility remaining today....... Austin Kendall, from Oklahoma.

There was some drama about it, but like I said this new Transfer Stuff has created a whirlwind........ which reminds me of one of my all time favorites during my youthful days of womanizing. Ahhhh, yes, nothing like candle light and Dusty to set the mood...... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKV9bK-CBXo
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 am

Mountainman wrote:Reports say Martell is going to Miami......... this Transfer Portal along with the new Transfer Rules has created quite a whirlwind once a domino falls, especially with the quarterback spot.

I didn't want to say anything, because you posted that comment of how he might fit with the new Mountaineer scheme. Both Martell and Jalen Hurts have been transfer options for Miami.

The question about Hurts, was his single year of eligibility, and Miami was going to continue pressing for other QB prospects.

Hurts was figured to come, but I guess he didn't want to risk having to sit if Miami also brought in Martell. So, Tate to Miami, Jalen to Oklhoma.

I think the Sooners will be a great fit for Hurts. We've already seen what a mobile quarterback can do in that offense. Two consecutive Heisman winners.

Lincoln Riley gets another reprieve. He has another year before he has to replace a one shot QB.

Has Martell been determined to be eligible to play this coming season???
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:12 am

Mountainman wrote:Has Martell been determined to be eligible to play this coming season???

We're in waiting to see ...

Martell lawyered up, and filed for a waver to have immediate eligibility, stating that the NCAA's rules regarding special circumstances have been met by the retirement of Urban Meyer. The claim, is that he will not be playing for the coach he signed on to be led by at Ohio State, so the criteria for his transfer from the school has been validated by mitigated precedence, from coaching departure.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 am

Mountainman wrote:Has Martell been determined to be eligible to play this coming season???

We're in waiting to see ...

Martell lawyered up, and filed for a waver to have immediate eligibility, stating that the NCAA's rules regarding special circumstances have been met by the retirement of Urban Meyer. The claim, is that he will not be playing for the coach he signed on to be led by at Ohio State, so the criteria for his transfer from the school has been validated by mitigated precedence, from coaching departure.

:shock: The outcome of the decision based on that can shake the foundation of College Football...... the analogy between a coach’s freedom to leave a program anytime and a player’s restriction from doing the same has been a contentious issue for some time...... think about the possibilities, this can be HUGH!!!

This one is gonna get interesting....... the potential to upset entire teams due to a coaching change hangs in the balance, like the potential and possibility of a number of players from the team a coach is leaving from having players follow him to his new job!!!! :shock: :shock:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:48 am

Found this listing of the Transfer Portal over on 247Sports.......

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-tran ... 127866941/

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Lots of kids on that list. It would be interesting to track how their careers go after transferring.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 pm

People attend college for, I am sure, a gazillion reasons. When a person transfers because of an extra-curricular activity it makes me believe it was not an extra but the mainstay.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:51 pm

donovan wrote:People attend college for, I am sure, a gazillion reasons. When a person transfers because of an extra-curricular activity it makes me believe it was not an extra but the mainstay.

I think most kids who go into a division 1 school out of high school have aspirations of the NFL even if they aren't realistic. That doesn't mean the by product of that can't be a degree in something that isn't related to that goal. I do think if it were advice I were giving to my kid, I would tell him to pick the school that he likes best and that has the academic programs that would be best for his future. Then if the NFL works out, great. If it doesn't, that is covered.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Think the NCAA is a mess?

Their cartel isn't nearly like big Pharma and the AMA...

Doctors are in collusian to make the bucks....during my wife's recent hospital stay, a doctor we didn't know popped in the room and said.."Hi..how are you feeling?" He took 10 seconds to glance at the chart and walk out. $650 consultancy fee on bill. I am sure this is set up by his buddies in his foursome.

A heart valve replacement averages $170,000 in the US compared to $9,500 in India...a knee replacement $35,000 vs $6,500.

Gilead Sciences sells a med (Sovaldi) in the US that retails for $1,000 a pill but licenses 11 Indian companies to sell a generic version...and that has been selling for $1.00 a pill....that is not a typo...one buck.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:35 pm

billybud wrote:Think the NCAA is a mess?

Doctors are in collusian to make the bucks....during my wife's recent hospital stay, a doctor we didn't know popped in the room and said.."Hi..how are you feeling?" He took 10 seconds to glance at the chart and walk out. $650 consultancy fee on bill. I am sure this is set up by his buddies in his foursome.

A heart valve replacement averages $170,000 in the US compared to $9,500 in India...a knee replacement $35,000 vs $6,500.

Gilead Sciences sells a med (Sovaldi) in the US that retails for $1,000 a pill but licenses 11 Indian companies to sell a generic version...and that has been selling for $1.00 a pill....that is not a typo...one buck.

If it wasn't as you state, how could I pay my legal fees!

I wished what you say was not true, but it is.

But just to be clear about the real culprit. Seen the price of Steak at the Meat market lately...

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm

I can get a great prime rib eye for two for $23 bucks....

Which, evidently is one half of the pro rated charge if a doctor gets off of the elevator on your floor.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 pm

I understand your point, but I would still rather do it here than India. A lot of the reasons for the cost is insurance, tort, and the cost of education. A doctor getting his license today is going to start out a half a million in debt minimum. Then the insurance companies negotiates his fee down in order for them to take their cut at every step. Then the lawyer who sues the doctor because the outcome didn't match the expectation and again the insurance company raises the malpractice insurance on the Doc and we start all over again.

I'm getting ready to find out what a labrum repair in the hip is going to cost in about a week. Then next year at this time I get to find out how much the procedure has went up in a year.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm

donovan wrote:

If it wasn't as you state, how could I pay my legal fees!

I wished what you say was not true, but it is.

But just to be clear about the real culprit. Seen the price of Steak at the Meat market lately...

Lets lay off the prices of beef. That is how I make my living. :lol: But even those prices have more to do with government interference with the industry. They created FSMA as a way to be about to generate money for the USDA in the name of food safety. When the key to making sure all products created in this country are made well and safe is having a workforce that cares. At the end of the day that will be our down fall.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 am

billybud wrote:I can get a great prime rib eye for two for $23 bucks....

Which, evidently is one half of the pro rated charge if a doctor gets off of the elevator on your floor.

And I suspect if the Doc happens to push the wrong floor button you want him to wave that $56 fee. And..thank for mentioning that...Looking up the ICD-10 code for elevator exiting...I think there is an overlooked financial opportunity.

And did not know possum had a Prime Cut...Now Spence is looking into capturing that market...

And...when you go to dinner with Derek, you will see how the other half live...such a treat.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 am

Spence...our better restaurant here in rural western North Carolina serves Meats by Linz beef (dry aged) out of Chicago....pretty good tasting steaks for being 100 miles from a city and in a town of 427....

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CASH ... 66&bih=641

Return to “General Discussion”