Ohio State v Washington

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Ohio State v Washington

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm

This game may end up with a hundred plays. Could be decided in 4th quarter. Washington defensive line is being manhandled by OSU offensive line. I want the PAC 12 to make a good showing....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ohio State v Washington

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Ohio State's offensive line can't seem to wait on the snap. Washington is playing ok. Ohio State's defense isn't very good. The Buckeye offense needs to put points on the board because the Buckeye defensive backfield tends to make games interesting for Ohio State.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Doesn't look good at the half for Washington....

Receivers running open for OSU while the Washington QB seems off target.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 pm

That last score before the half helped. I didn't want to only be up 11 going out of the half. Petersen is great at making halftime adjustments. His receivers were open most of the first half. If Browning starts hitting them it may get interesting really fast.
I have huge respect for the Washington head coach and I don't look for them to throw in the towel until the clock runs out in the forth quarter. The Buckeyes had better not relax.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm

My observations.

Washington is not in the same class as Ohio State. They are a good ball club but 1st half just out everything.

OSU uses full-body tackling. The get as much contact as possible and the offensive player gets no extra yardage. Their heads are always up. (LSU and UCF, both teams lowered heads and went into players...and 5 yards after stop.

Washington needs to put on some pressure. Not sure they can. Petersen is good about playing their game and not panicking, so we will see if they can plug up the holes. OSU might not make many changes, why would they. I suspect the second half will repeat the first. You can't win is the offense is never on the field.

I have not given up, just not clear to me what the Huskies need to do.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:10 pm

You are right that if the offense can't stay on the field that it will be a long day. I think offensively Ohio State is on another level. if the offensive line was better - and they have two starters out on a not so good line - the Buckeye offense would be elite. As good as anyone. Defensively they are very average. Linebackers have gotten better in the last few games, but the DB's are in the wrong place a lot. The defensive line is very good, but can be too aggressive sometimes. Ohio State as a team just gets too full of themselves sometimes and just assumes the other team will lay down. That is what happened at Purdue and a very motivated Purdue team made them pay. Ohio State just flat got their butt handed to them in that game.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 pm

---

This game is already over.

Washington is doing their best to hang on for dear life.

If Washington doesn't punch this one into the end zone, it is going to be a miserable finish.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Well, Washington is not that bad of a team. Reality is, the PAC 12 is not in the same league as the big boys. Huskies will play until the final whistle but there is no toot.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:15 pm

This is the Buckeye defense that I know.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:50 pm

That is the Ohio State team I have seen all year. Sometimes they look like a really good team, but sometimes they look like a team that thinks they are better than they are and that is the result. Washington and Petersen went wide open and came a hair from being in position to win the game.
Good game Huskies. You started out a little slow, but finished like champions.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Congratulations, Spence. Maybe someone thought the fans needed something for their money, and they got it. The hole was too big for the fourth quarter. I am glad the Huskies came close, much easier on the history. Still, the PAC 12 has a long way to go.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 pm

donovan wrote:Congratulations, Spence. Maybe someone thought the fans needed something for their money, and they got it. The hole was too big for the fourth quarter. I am glad the Huskies came close, much easier on the history. Still, the PAC 12 has a long way to go.

Thanks. Early in the game there were a lot of drops and I thought Petersen was uncharacteristically conservative. When he cut loose Washington played ball. Ohio State's offensive line has allowed pressure on Haskin's all year and if Haskin's has a vulnerability is that he gets very uncomfortable under pressure. Petersen is a very good coach. He will build something great at Washington. His players give everything for him.

Return to “General Discussion”