Penn State Kentucky

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Penn State Kentucky

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

McSorley leads his team back into position to win the game and on 3rd and 6 his coach opts to throw the ball. Then kicks the field goal needing a touch down. Then lets Kentucky run 2+ minutes off the clock with 3 T/O's in his pocket. This one is on Franklin not his team. Franklin is not a good coach despite the hype he receives. He just lost this game for them. Amazing momentum killer.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Penn State Kentucky

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Unbelievably terrible game called by Franklin. I'm really glad Ohio State gets to play him every year. If it were not for their home field crowd advantage they couldn't beat a top 20 team with him as coach. Just terrible, terrible game management.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm

I honestly thought Kentucky didn't have a chance, but they hung on. I'm glad they are doing well. I've pulled for them, except when playing Ga obviously.

Pulled for Vandy too....though they didn't win. Those 2 are always the door mats for the East and I like seeing them do well for a change.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Derek wrote:I honestly thought Kentucky didn't have a chance, but they hung on. I'm glad they are doing well. I've pulled for them, except when playing Ga obviously.

Pulled for Vandy too....though they didn't win. Those 2 are always the door mats for the East and I like seeing them do well for a change.

Even with McSorely injured he was gashing Kentucky and had is team in the red zone at 3rd and 6. Instead of going with the run pass option he called a straight pass and it was incomplete. Franklin went for the field goal with less than five minutes and 3 t/o's left. Kentucky fielded the kick, Franklin kept his T/O's in his pocket until it didn't matter and KY ran out the clock. He was in the red zone with 6 yards for a first down and a chance at scoring and winning. He had momentum. If they don't get the first down or score they had time to get a stop and get the ball back in with good field position. I'm betting the KY coach thought he was getting a late Christmas present. Really bad management. Even if it had worked out for the Nits, it was the wrong play. Don't ask Franklin to solve a math problem for you. Especially I time and distance problem.

Return to “General Discussion”