Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 am

..........appears Coach Holgorsen is moving to Houston.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 am

Good business move for him...

Restarts the firing clock and gets an extra $1.5 million a year.

And, he is probably more comfortable recruiting from Texas than from Morgantown.

And finally...maybe has a better shot at winning the AAC championship then going against Texas and Oklahoma.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 am

Seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. I thought he did a good job in Morgantown. My niece, who meant him but never really cared for him has really enjoyed her four years at West Virginia. She was a quiet fairly shy girl when she left for West Virginia, She will graduate this year with many great experiences and a deep love for her school. I'm not sure she could have picked a better place to go to school. I just have a hard time with those colors. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:43 pm

billybud wrote:Good business move for him...

Restarts the firing clock and gets an extra $1.5 million a year.

And, he is probably more comfortable recruiting from Texas than from Morgantown.

And finally...maybe has a better shot at winning the AAC championship then going against Texas and Oklahoma.

If you like living in Texas more than West Virginia, then you need to move to Texas.

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell."
– Philip Sheridan, one of the more despicable Union Generals and he got it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Well he has 20 million reasons to like living in Texas. That is a lot of money for a smaller conference school. That is a big commitment for football.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm

It’s official Coach Holgorsen has left the building....... 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:09 pm

What now, Mountainman?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Do what can be done to maintain the recruiting class and current team members who may be reconsidering their commitments, perform due diligence on possible replacement for Holgorsen’s position, conduct interviews with candidates, make your choice, get him under contract, and then get him and his staff to Morgantown.

There’s an unofficial list...... from that list I like Neil Brown over Luke Finkell and Greg Schiano, Butch Jones and others.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Mountainman wrote:Do what can be done to maintain the recruiting class and current team members who may be reconsidering their commitments, perform due diligence on possible replacement for Holgorsen’s position, conduct interviews with candidates, make your choice, get him under contract, and then get him and his staff to Morgantown.

There’s an unofficial list...... from that list I like Neil Brown over Luke Finkell and Greg Schiano, Butch Jones and others.

Brown is familiar with the territory so that is probably the smart pick. I, of course, like Luke Fickel. I think he will be a very good head coach. I'm not sure the B12 would play to his strengths though.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Do what can be done to maintain the recruiting class and current team members who may be reconsidering their commitments, perform due diligence on possible replacement for Holgorsen’s position, conduct interviews with candidates, make your choice, get him under contract, and then get him and his staff to Morgantown.

Brown is familiar with the territory so that is probably the smart pick. I, of course, like Luke Fickel. I think he will be a very good head coach. I'm not sure the B12 would play to his strengths though.

That’s my concern, his bio, Fickell, says he’s a really good defensive type....... I’m hope the Mountaineers select a coach that more balanced in his approach. Holgorsen was an offense guy exclusively when he first arrived, and that was tough for a fan like me, but to his credit, grew as a Head Coach while in Morgantown to at least appreciate the other 2 phases. I’m old school when it comes to football, just believe that you can’t cheat the game.

I believe he’ll do really well in Houston, I hear he’s got a real deal stud QB just waiting and we know High School Football in Texas, especially Houston, is a spread offense haven

Anyway, just waiting and watching this thing work through the process, and see what the Pres & AD decide to do....... we’ll see

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:

That’s my concern, his bio, Fickell, says he’s a really good defensive type....... I’m hope the Mountaineers select a coach that more balanced in his approach. Holgorsen was an offense guy exclusively when he first arrived, and that was tough for a fan like me, but to his credit, grew as a Head Coach while in Morgantown to at least appreciate the other 2 phases. I’m old school when it comes to football, just believe that you can’t cheat the game.

I believe he’ll do really well in Houston, I hear he’s got a real deal stud QB just waiting and we know High School Football in Texas, especially Houston, is a spread offense haven

Anyway, just waiting and watching this thing work through the process, and see what the Pres & AD decide to do....... we’ll see

Yeah, I agree. Luke is more a Tresselball guy. Much like Dantonio at Michigan State. He is a great recruiter and I think he will one day be a great coach. I just don't think his philosophy and that of the B12 mesh and that probably would be an issue. I think he could coach in almost any other conference, but not the B12 not now anyway.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:59 am

Final words on Coach Holgorsen...... thanks for leaving the right way, no fuss, no muss, no drama, no sensationalism.

Coach Holgorsen did exactly what he was asked to do eight years ago, and that was to transition the Mountaineer Football Program to the Big XII and it’s style of play. He did that. Build the program to where it’s a contender. He did that.

Was this season past disappointing for Mountaineer Fans??? Yep, it was, but injuries are a part of the game..... and losing 5 of your 6 linebacker rotation was the cause. At Iowa State, couldn’t tackle, Oklahoma State, 17 point lead gone, Oklahoma, tackling and piss poor officiating, Syracuse, couldn’t tackle.

Was Coach Holgorsen one to strive to be a ‘media darlin’??? Nope. Did Coach Holgorsen agreed with WVU’s position of ‘No Guarenteed Contracts’??? Nope.

So, what did he do??? He found a place more suitable to his way of thinking, and quietly as he could, left the program......... Thanks, Coach. 8)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:20 am

Maybe he never really left Texas....

His heart was there...he still kept his house in Houston all these years...he is in a comfort zone...Texas.

There were strong reports earlier that he wanted out of WVU...that he wanted a shot at Texas Tech but AD Hocutt refused to interview him.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:20 am

billybud wrote:Maybe he never really left Texas....

His heart was there...he still kept his house in Houston all these years...he is in a comfort zone...Texas.

There were strong reports earlier that he wanted out of WVU...that he wanted a shot at Texas Tech but AD Hocutt refused to interview him.

I don’t know anything about the “strong reports” you refer to, maybe you’ll share them, but a couple of things I do know. Holgorsen first became an Offensive Coordinator in 2005 and since then and through his time at WVU for those 14 seasons, his offenses finished in the Top 10 in the nation in passing yardage and total offense 10 times. Next, Shane Lyons, the Athletic Director at WVU, was informed well in advance of Holgorsen intention to leave at the end of the season for Houston.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 pm

It’s being reported that West Virginia and Neal Brown have ‘agreed in principle’ that Brown will become the Head Football Coach at WVU...... we’ll see how the specifics pan out, things like dollars, duration, terms of employment, duties, authorities, conditions of employment, etc.

Appears to me, they’ve got a good young, 38 year old, coach interested and will fit at WVU and in the Big XII......... if the employment contract gets worked out, it’s always interesting to see how he puts his staff together. 8)
Last edited by Mountainman on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”