Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:04 pm

donovan wrote:Coaching changes in college football is a reflection of our society in general, it is a morass of amorality.

I gave up the intricacies of football when I stopped going live to games. Now I watch TV and I see what the producers want me to and then I watch the same play 6 times more to verify that I did not see what they wanted me to see when they first showed me. I miss the smell of fresh cut grass and nights when I have to take a hot shower just to get warm. (I don't miss it, but they were good memories that don't happen when I watch TV.)

My friend Mr. Billybud like this nuevo lifestyle, me, not so much.

I really liked the days when coaches only coached and the players made all of the game-time decisions, including calling the plays. An official would listen in on hurdles to make sure the sub did not bring in a play. But that was in the days of quasi integrity and for the most part, rules were followed. Like I say, just a reflection of our society plummeting down into the bowels of Hell.

This board is a special place in the world of College Football Chitchat, as Cane, more recently, and others have acknowledged. Discussions here go beyond the typical X’s and O’s, Jimmies and Joes, and wins and losses. Here there is depth beyond the field of play, into the issues off the field and behind the scenes, such as governance, politics, unwanted influences, exploitation, short sighted money-grabs, etc.

Donovan, your posts, to some degree, were my inspiration to share some of the goings-on that occur during a coaching change. 8)

P.S. One can only wonder why a local newspaper, who’s owner has had an adversarial relationship with WVU since his media company was booted by WVU in favor of IMG, would wait a week or so before the decision was made to publish a ‘Farewell Letter’ sent to them by Dana Holgorsen....... maybe they were busy trying to influence Coach Brown’s staffing choices or tracking airplanes.

It’s a jungle out there........ Enjoy it. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Holgorsen may have left Houston nine years ago to become Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator for one season, but he made it clear that his heart never took off from the Space City.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/01/03/dana- ... a-houston/
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:38 pm

“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Donovan...LOL

You miss the smell of green grass" ?

A fan of that ugly blue rug artificial smurf grass field that has made me crazy for years?

Watching football on tv can also involve your other senses...have the grass cut before game time and open the windows...pour some beer in a glass and set it on the sill to catch the incoming breeze....grass and beer smells.

Now for authenticism, I could sit under a heat lamp, have my wife scream in my ear at intervals, and splash beer down my back.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 pm

It was the South that developed bluegrass...I can't be responsible the Idahoians didn't get it correct. Mrs. donovan never swears; except, "Can you please stick to one darn channel?"
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Nope...small correction.

The south did not develop blue grass (although maybe the music)..

Kentucky is home to blue grass as a grass type....and Kentucky isn't really southern...It was not a confederate state but declared neutrality....it borders Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and is, rightfully, thought of as a border state.

And, the Colonel was really way off when he declared his greasy chicken to be southern fried...his original recipe is not southern fried chicken. it wasn't southern...and it was not fried...he used a freekin' pressure cooker.

No southerner would EVER contemplate " psuedo fried chicken" cooked in a pressure cooker. An abomination. Son, I tell you, an abomination.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm

billybud wrote:Nope...small correction.

The south did not develop blue grass (although maybe the music)..

Kentucky is home to blue grass as a grass type....and Kentucky isn't really southern...It was not a confederate state but declared neutrality....it borders Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and is, rightfully, thought of as a border state.

And, the Colonel was really way off when he declared his greasy chicken to be southern fried...his original recipe is not southern fried chicken. it wasn't southern...and it was not fried...he used a freekin' pressure cooker.

No southerner would EVER contemplate " psuedo fried chicken" cooked in a pressure cooker. An abomination. Son, I tell you, an abomination.

They make good Bourbon though.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Indeed....

We traipsed up the Kentucky Bourbon Trail a couple of months back....

I like Blantons...but will drink any decent bourbon.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 pm

.......and in the end, let there be bourbon.

Ernest Hemmingway, author and alcoholic, concocted a wonderful ‘cure’ for the inevitable hangover....... :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm

As long as we are thrashing Kentucky, it didn't originally develop bluegrass. So there are two strikes, not so fried chicken and not so blue bluegrass. (Collectively, Oregon’s Willamette Valley produces almost two-thirds of the total production of cool-season grasses in the United States.)

And speaking of things you do once in your life and never do it again, the Kentucky Derby ranks on top of my list.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm

donovan wrote:As long as we are thrashing Kentucky, it didn't originally develop bluegrass. So there are two strikes, not so fried chicken and not so blue bluegrass. (Collectively, Oregon’s Willamette Valley produces almost two-thirds of the total production of cool-season grasses in the United States.)

And speaking of things you do once in your life and never do it again, the Kentucky Derby ranks on top of my list.

It is a giant party wrapped around a day of horse races no one but the gamblers care about until the derby. And yes, you should go once.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”