Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Exit VISAS Pending In Morgantown

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 pm

It’s done....... Welcome to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia, Coach Brown. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Think it was a great hire....

I just hope that the Eer faithful stay with him for a few years....Some will not be satisfied with a perennial #3 in conference.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:04 pm

The general atmosphere is to talk about building, developing, etc and no loses during the process.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm

billybud wrote:Think it was a great hire....

I just hope that the Eer faithful stay with him for a few years....Some will not be satisfied with a perennial #3 in conference.

6 year contract, 19+ million, with additional Performance Incentives....... appears the administration has granted enough time, on the other hand, Mountaineer Fans are a fickle bunch and some in West Virginia Media don’t know a football from a frisbee and would rather talk and write about hair style, the color of the coach’s shirt, the make of vehicle he drives and don’t know a tight-end from an H-back or a spread from a pro set...... your point is well taken.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm

donovan wrote:The general atmosphere is to talk about building, developing, etc and no loses during the process.

Correct...... now is the ‘theory’ time, later this September is the ‘reality’ time.

.......btw, Oklahoma hired one of the best DC in the country away from Ohio State to run their Defense, and today announced they got the #1 ranked wide receiver to commit to the Sooners instead of Georgia.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:06 am

Mountainman wrote:

6 year contract, 19+ million, with additional Performance Incentives....... appears the administration has granted enough time, on the other hand, Mountaineer Fans are a fickle bunch and some in West Virginia Media don’t know a football from a frisbee and would rather talk and write about hair style, the color of the coach’s shirt, the make of vehicle he drives and don’t know a tight-end from an H-back or a spread from a pro set...... your point is well taken.

Oh I do know West Virginia fans....I have followed the team for 35 years and have posted 18,000 some posts on the WVU board since 2002.

Been through the years with RR, Stew's miracle at Oklahome...the division of the fans at Stew's firing.

It looked like AD Shane refused to extend Dana's contract...and with two years remaining, Holgersen read the writing on the wall....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 am

An "aside" story.

In 1982 we went to the Gator Bowl to play WVU. A cold and rainy night. We met a young couple from West Virginia, went out to a late supper together and the next day met for breakfast...exchanged phone numbers and the obligatory "if you are coming our way"...

Wonder of wonders...they called us and came to Florida...we had a blast. Took them exploring on our sailboat to Dog Island. We went to the Bahamas together the next summer.

We both had a baby boy within months of each other. Visiting back and forth over the years, the boys became like cousins. I consider southern West Virginia as a place that we have family. Sadly, one of our friends has now passed and the boys are busy in their own lives but keep in touch (social media).

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 am

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Oh I do know West Virginia fans....I have followed the team for 35 years and have posted 18,000 some posts on the WVU board since 2002.

Been through the years with RR, Stew's miracle at Oklahome...the division of the fans at Stew's firing.

It looked like AD Shane refused to extend Dana's contract...and with two years remaining, Holgersen read the writing on the wall....

......then you know they’re a passionate bunch, Jim Carlen leaves, Bobby Bowden steps in and the division of fans followed, it was deja vu all over again when RichRod left. :?

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:22 am

billybud wrote:An "aside" story.

In 1982 we went to the Gator Bowl to play WVU. A cold and rainy night. We met a young couple from West Virginia, went out to a late supper together and the next day met for breakfast...exchanged phone numbers and the obligatory "if you are coming our way"...

Wonder of wonders...they called us and came to Florida...we had a blast. Took them exploring on our sailboat to Dog Island. We went to the Bahamas together the next summer.

We both had a baby boy within months of each other. Visiting back and forth over the years, the boys became like cousins. I consider southern West Virginia as a place that we have family. Sadly, one of our friends has now passed and the boys are busy in their own lives but keep in touch (social media).

Seems to be pattern that when West Virginians leave the hills and hollers for vacations to places where the land is flat, the beaches are sandy, the night breeze is warm, and the rhythmic sound of waves rolling in fill their ear......... babies happen a few months later. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Mountainman wrote:

All college football team's fans are fickle. I think you got your guy. Congrats.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

All college football team's fans are fickle. I think you got your guy. Congrats.

Appears Coach Brown had his experience with the West Virginia Media this afternoon. Seems Coach Brown and Shane Lyons, WVU’s AD, were returning to Morgantown from Troy on a Private Charter Jet this afternoon after wrapping up some business. The media ambushed our new coach and he handled it like a pro. The AD appeared somewhat surprised, but Coach Brown just walked right over to them and said, ‘You guys are quite the investigators.’............ appears your thoughts are correct, Spence, I think we did get our guy. Ha,ha,ha,ha....... :wink:

Later, someone on one of the Sports Talk Shows here in the State was talking to one of the media who was there and asked how did they find out when Lyons and Brown were scheduled to arrive in Morgantown??? The media guy replied they just sat around all day watching the Flight Tracker Web Site and when they saw a flight departing Troy and arriving in Morgantown they passed the word and went to the airport...... :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:03 am

We all knrw he was on that plane....

Us WVU posters on the site, the old scout site (now taken over by 247)...flight tracking out of certain locations is an old WVU board tradition.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:22 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Appears Coach Brown had his experience with the West Virginia Media this afternoon. Seems Coach Brown and Shane Lyons, WVU’s AD, were returning to Morgantown from Troy on a Private Charter Jet this afternoon after wrapping up some business. The media ambushed our new coach and he handled it like a pro. The AD appeared somewhat surprised, but Coach Brown just walked right over to them and said, ‘You guys are quite the investigators.’............ appears your thoughts are correct, Spence, I think we did get our guy. Ha,ha,ha,ha....... :wink:

Later, someone on one of the Sports Talk Shows here in the State was talking to one of the media who was there and asked how did they find out when Lyons and Brown were scheduled to arrive in Morgantown??? The media guy replied they just sat around all day watching the Flight Tracker Web Site and when they saw a flight departing Troy and arriving in Morgantown they passed the word and went to the airport...... :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol:

It amazes me that news guys don't have anything better to do than trying to beat the next guy to the punch on a change in coaching at a college. I'm thinking if they put that much effort into researching what most politicians say it true, they could really hold their feet to the fire on stretching the truth.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:29 am

Oh, I came from Alabama
Shane Lyons, he came with me
‘Cause the weird-o’s are awaitin’
To see my Coaching Tree

Oh, Suzanne
Don’t you cry for me
I’ll soon decide who’s on my tree
For all the world to see.....

Ha,ha,ha,ha........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 am

Coaching changes in college football is a reflection of our society in general, it is a morass of amorality.

I gave up the intricacies of football when I stopped going to games Now I watch TV and I see what the producers want me to see and then I watch the same play 6 times on replay to verify that I did not see what they wanted me to see when they first showed me. I miss the smell of fresh cut grass and nights when I must take a hot shower just to get warm. (I don't miss it, but they were good memories that doesn't happen when I watch TV.)

My friend Mr. Billybud like this nuevo lifestyle, me, not so much. And yet I don't have to apologize for what I say when just yelling at my 13" B/W TV. (Many apologies due at live games.)

I really liked the days when coaches only coached and the players made all of the game-time decisions, including calling the plays. An official would listen in on hurdles to make sure the sub did not bring in a play. But that was in the days of quasi integrity and for the most part, rules were followed. Like I say, just a reflection of our society plummeting down into the bowels of Hell.
Last edited by donovan on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”