Richt Gone At Miami

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Richt Gone At Miami

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:54 pm

I think for Meyer to coach again he has to get the medical issue fixed. He is the asst. AD at Ohio State for now. I don't know how that is going to work. I know if I were Ryan Day I wouldn't want Meyer looking over my shoulder. I think the idea is for Meyer to coach the coaches. I don't see that lasting. We will see.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Derek wrote:Cane??

I'm doing my best to withhold my comments until I hear more. I hate speculating anything, but the search may have already started before Blake James even addressed the media.

I'll say this.

Cristobal was the guy Miami was going to hire when Golden got released. But the administration Loves Mark Richt, so, Georgia firing him before Cristobal was available to interview, and Miami had a knee jerk reaction.

Miami was waiting until after Mario Cristobal's season was over, but Alabama being in the playoffs meant the interview date would have to be pushed back until possibly after the national championship game. But Mark Richt was let go the weekend before the post season. Miami figured they'd get to Richt before Virginia, who was set to interview him that up coming Wednesday. Miami flew Richt in from Georgia on a private plane, set a one on one interview with University President Julio Frenk's house Tuesday.

This time around; Richt called Miami Director of Athletics Blake James early Sunday morning. Richt told James that he was stepping down as head coach.

Blake James came out and said the head coaching search started today --- No body, other than media & fan hype have mentioned names in the discussion, yet.

Mario Cristobal made a comment, stating that he, "Would receive and Listen" if Miami were to reach out showing interest --- the drawback with Cristobal, is that he has an $8 million buyout on his contract, that Miami would have to cover.

There was word of Manny Diaz being on the Campus this afternoon --- I do not know if that has anything to do with the Head Coaching job. But it would feel strange that he would be there for any other reason, seeing as how this is crunch time for recruiting; so one would assume he'd be trailing names for Temple.

I don't want to say too much. So I'll reserve anything further when I hear something more concrete.

Mountainman wrote:Cane has been sensing this coming...... his posts about the disappointment in the Hurricane program with Richt at the helm, the hiring of an offensive coordinator without input from Richt and most recently pronouncing it was ‘time for Richt to go’.

:wink:

I knew the end was near. It was no more evident than when Richt took the podium at the Post Pinstripe Bowl Press Conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA763Zh ... 8349476165

Look at his demeanor. This man is defeated, and he looks almost as if he's about to break into tears --- personally, I think he had already made up his mind at that point. I'm glad it was his own decision. But my guess is, he went home after the game, told his wife where his thoughts were at, then took a couple of days to clear his head to either make sure he wasn't just making an emotional reactive decision, or to gather his courage to make the call.

But, yes, I knew.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:16 am

Well, never mind, Miami goes with Manny Diaz. Why waste time interviewing guys like Dino Babers :oops:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:20 am

---

Okay; This is exactly why I wanted to wait to post up.

Miami Hurricanes hire Manny Diaz as the new Head Coach.

Derek, my thoughts were going to go one of two ways.

(a.) Manny Diaz is the New Head Coach and we have a Bright Future, with a guy who is a Local product, and has Fire, Passion & Love for this Program.

(b.) I would have ranted on in Eric fashion about how Mark Richt should have announced his retirement prior to the Bowl game, and that we were falling on a Timing Sword.

The drawback, Diaz has a $4 million buyout that Miami has to pay. But at least it is only half the cost of what would have been the money pit to acquire Cristobal.

Blake James may have redeemed himself with this hire. And it feels as though the admin is truly sincere about fixing the program.

Other names that had been mentioned that I did not talk about, Butch Davis & Dino Babers.

I like this direction. Now we'll need a real OC to get the ship completely righted.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:21 am

Eric wrote:Well, never mind, Miami goes with Manny Diaz. Why waste time interviewing guys like Dino Babers :oops:

:lol:

I was posting while you were.

Mine was a little longer to type though.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 am

---

Diaz is getting razed. His facebook & twitter still has Temple Images all over them.

He hasn't had a chance to shift his pics to Miami again.

Cane... [__]

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:34 am

Yeah I don't really hold it against Diaz or Miami. It's a bad result of timing. Sad for Temple, but it's nobody's fault. I don't pretend to know how Diaz will actually do, but I think Miami needs to get a next-level recruiter in order to rebuild their program.

I don't often recommend PJ Fleck as an option at an elite football program, but his edge is in recruiting which would actually help Miami. The SEC has poached too many players from Florida and that's hurt Miami and Florida State (and to an extent Florida).

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 am

Man, now that I actually think about it, I could have really seen Fleck building a monster at Miami if he found quality assistants. Oh, what might have been :lol:

I honestly don't know what the point is. Diaz is a fine coordinator, but he is a first-time head coach. Miami is telling us that this is the best imaginable candidate for the job. There are hundreds of very qualified coaches who would have shown interest in a football factory like Miami. I think this hire is very rash. Maybe the goal was saving the recruiting class, I don't know.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:09 am

Seems quick to me. Almost preplanned.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:27 am

billybud wrote:I was kidding about Lane...probably Mario Cristobal, Manny Diaz

I called that right....but, man, that was quick.

Good move though...You hate to lose a coach while unsigned commits are on the table...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:28 am

So, Richt, reportedly after consultation with his family, announces his resignation yesterday and Manny Diaz is announced this morning as the new Head Coach of the Hurricanes....... Hmmmmm, the only thing I can come up with to make Richt’s story believable is that his wife must be a chatterbox gossip.

Imagine the Temple Athletic Director this morning....... mad as hell because his coach just left in the middle of the night, but grinning from ear to ear while holding a check for 4 mil.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 am

---

This was not just about recruiting; though, it had something to do with it.

Diaz was the recruiter, in many cases, for the defense. Richt okayed the guys Diaz wanted. But Diaz was the guy doing most of the visits.

I had talked a bit about this in my last thread when Diaz took the Temple job

---

Cane from the Bend wrote:Manny Diaz, who was thought of by many to be the Head Coach in waiting when Richt hired him, was announced as the Head Coach of Temple.

It's one thing to say there could be a potential future at the U for Diaz, should Richt retire in the next few years. But let's face it.

Manny Diaz is the adhesive which holds this team together. He was the brainchild of the turnover chain, and the energy that was so magnetic, that his vigor and passion excited some of the greatest defensive players in the country to join the program.

---

I had always thought of Diaz as the Head Coach in waiting. I even posted it back when Richt hired him as the Defensive Coordinator, that Richt was aging, and Diaz could be our future.

The reason I feel that Diaz took the Temple Head Coach position, is that if Richt were to leave, Manny knew he'd be getting a phone call. But no one expected it this soon.

When Richt was hired, he had a given time. Then, after the way Miami finished last season, Richt got a contract extension. I believe that Diaz assumed he was being pushed back a few years, and he wanted to put the Head Coach hat on within the time frame that he figured when he came to Miami.

He is a guy that bring a lot of energy with him. And the players all respond to him well ~ the question is, will there be a new Offensive Coordinator coming in.

The fan base wants it. The recruits will likely respond better if there is.

The current players may be the Wild Card. They want Thomas Brown to stay. But Brown was the Co-Offensive Coordinator under Richt. And if his playbook is the same, we won't see any difference. Brown is, after all, one of the people who was responsible for the development of the offensive players these past 3 years. And all we have done is regress.

I don't know if that was Because of Richt's vision to run the same stale offense from 18 years ago. O if Brown is merely a faulty cog in the machine, which attempts to produce the continued defective product.

Personally, I think we've lost too much ground to keep him and hope that it was all Richt.

Maybe Manny feels differently. He was there on the practice field with Brown, and saw first hand who was the influence.

But right now, I'm feeling a little selfish. I'd like to get a new OC who is young and has the energy to match Diaz's. Someone whose game plan is innovative and has the ability to make adjustments when there is an obvious hole to fill.

At the moment, we wait.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:07 pm

The bottom line for me, as a College Football Fan, is somebody in that conference has to, at least, challenge Clemson...... there’s just nobody even close. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:12 pm

---

Here is the message from back on July 13th, 2016 when I posted my initial thoughts of Manny Diaz.

---

Cane from the Bend wrote:This game has a lot of intrigue. One aspect which favors us, as best as it can, is the home field atmosphere.

This game is always a sell out. So, if we get off to a solid start, the place should be electric. And this is the first time in a few years now, I feel as though we are a legitimate threat to the 'noles.

I'm sure the pregame buildup, as well as throughout the game, we'll get the obligatory commentary of Richt's time as QB for Miami, and his stint as FSU's offensive coordinator.

I like the direction Richt has gone with his choices for a supporting staff. Which, as you will see below, there is more kindling for the media furnace, at the top and bottom of the list.

--- so let's start the list, here ---

Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach: Manny Diaz
Diaz, the son of former mayor of Miami, Manuel Alberto “Manny” Diaz, returns home to South Florida with 18 years of defensive experience.
During his 18-year coaching career, Diaz has coached in 14 bowl games and has coached numerous all-conference and NFL players at six different collegiate institutions.
Diaz spent the 2015 season at Mississippi State – his second stint in Starkville.
Last season his defensive unit held opponents to just 23.2 point per game and ranked in the nation’s top 10 in redzone defense.
In 2014, Diaz spent one season at Louisiana Tech and his impact was felt in a big way, mainly by opposing teams’ offenses. In 2014, Louisiana Tech led the nation in turnovers gained (40) with 15 fumble recoveries and 25 interceptions.
Prior to his stop at Louisiana Tech, Diaz coached three seasons at Texas (2011-13).
In 2010 at Mississippi State, Diaz guided a defense that ranked 22nd in the nation in scoring defense (19.9 ppg), 17th in rushing defense (214.9 ypg) and 17th in tackles for loss (7.0 pg). MSU also finished ranked 13th in red-zone defense (.730) and 22nd in turnovers forced (28) nationally.
Diaz spent four seasons as defensive coordinator at MTSU. Diaz also coached linebackers for two years after mentoring the safeties during his first two years [2006-09].
In four years under Diaz, the Middle Tennessee defense led its conference in sacks and tackles for loss twice, and finished no lower than third in the league in either category during his tenure. In 2009, the Blue Raiders finished second nationally in tackles for loss, stopping more than eight and a half plays per game behind the line of scrimmage. Diaz’s defense also ranked sixth nationally in sacks that season, posting nearly three per game.
Diaz played a major role for one of the country’s top-ranked defenses by coaching safeties in 2004-05 and handling the linebackers in 2002-03 for NC State.
In 2005, the Wolfpack finished eighth nationally in total defense, sixth in third-down percentage, and 12th in scoring defense.
Diaz spent the 2000 and 2001 seasons at NCSU as a graduate assistant working primarily with the linebackers. During that time, the Wolfpack went to two bowl games and became the first ACC team to beat FSU in Tallahassee.
Diaz began his coaching career at Florida State in 1998, working alongside defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews for two seasons. During his stint, the Seminoles won a national championship in 1999 and were national runners-up in 1998.

Quarterbacks Coach: Jon Richt
Joining his father’s staff for the second time in his coaching career after he spent the 2015 campaign with the Buffalo Bills as an offensive assistant.
He spent the 2014 season serving on Georgia’s staff as a quality control assistant.
Richt was a three-star member of Clemson’s 2008 recruiting class before he transferred to Mars Hill College to finish out his collegiate career.

Defensive Line Coach: Craig Kuligowski
Comes to Coral Gables after spending the past 15 years as the defensive line coach at the University of Missouri.
During his 15-year tenure with the Tigers – the longest-tenured position coach in the SEC [much of which was actually in the Big XII] - Kuligowski coached 24 players to all-conference honors. In addition, Kuligowski produced four first round NFL Draft picks since 2009.
This past season at Missouri, Kuligowski’s defensive line helped the Tigers rank second in the nation in team tackles for loss. The Tigers also ranked ninth in the nation in total defense.

Cornerbacks Coach: Mike Rumph
Rumph was part of the last national championship team at the University of Miami.
He has spent the past three years as the football coach at Plantation American Heritage Private School.
Rumph, played six seasons in the NFL and had stints with the 49ers, who drafted him in the first round in 2002, and later the Redskins and Rams.
After retiring following the 2007 season, Rumph went into coaching and became an assistant at Miramar Everglades in 2010 and later at American Heritage. In 2013, he replaced former Dolphin Jeff Dellenbach as the school’s coach and guided the Patriots to back-to-back state championships and a regional semifinal appearance this past season. During that time, American Heritage went 35-6.

Safeties Coach: Ephraim Banda
He spent the 2015 season at Mississippi State where he served as a Defensive Assistant under the Hurricanes' new Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz.
During the 2015 season, the Bulldog's defensive unit held opponents to just 23.2 point per game and ranked in the nation’s top 10 in redzone defense.
MSU led the nation in fewest pass plays of 20+ yards allowed in 2015, surrendering only 24. Despite several key injuries to seniors, the secondary ranked fourth in the SEC in passes defended with 63.

Running Backs Coach/Co-offensive Coordinator: Thomas Brown
He spent the 2015 campaign on Richt’s staff at Georgia where he coached the Bulldog running backs.
Prior to arriving at Georgia, Brown coached Heisman Trophy runner-up Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin in 2014.
He and sophomore Corey Clement combined to run for 3,536 yards to break the single-season Football Bowl Subdivision record for rushing yards by teammates that had been set the year before by Gordon and James White (3,053 yards).

Offensive Line Coach: Stacy Searels
Searels, in addition to last season at Virginia Tech, has coached the offensive line at Texas, Georgia and LSU — coaching with Richt at Georgia from 2007 to 2010, and with Hurricanes' new Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz from 2011 to 2013 as a part of the Longhorns' coaching staff.
He was an All-American lineman at Auburn, and played in the nfl for the San Diego Chargers for two seasons before going to the Miami Dolphins in 1990 for one season.
Searels’ coaching path has taken him from Auburn (graduate assistant) to Appalachian State to Cincinnati to LSU to Georgia to Texas and to Virginia Tech, where he coached the O-line the past two seasons.
During his time at LSU (2003-06), Searels’ Tigers won two SEC West titles, an SEC title and a National Title .

Special Teams Coordinator /Tight Ends Coach: Todd Hartley
comes to Miami after serving as the Director of Player Personnel at Georgia.
Before his time in Athens, Hartley worked as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall University.
Hartley joined the Marshall staff in March, 2011, and served as the Herd's safeties coach for two seasons before being named tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator in March, 2013.

Receivers Coach/Passing Game Coordinator: Ron Dugans
He comes to the Hurricanes from USF in Tampa, where he served as receivers coach the past two seasons.
Dugans coached receivers at Louisville from 2010 through ’13 – part of a Cardinals’ program that went 12-1 in 2013 and defeated UM in the Russell Athletic Bowl.
He was a standout receiver for Florida State from 1995 to ’99, when Richt was the FSU offensive coordinator.

The only real question mark I have, is in Craig Kuligowski, the D-Line Coordinator out of Mizzou. They had some up & down seasons. And I'm not sure the resume from a program that competed in the Big 12 North, and the last couple of years in the SEC East is particularly stellar.

I do acknowledge Missouri's climb up to an #2 ranking in the poles in the recent past. However, much of that was on the offensive side of the ball, rather than defensive.

Although, it would, admittedly, be interesting to see just how good Missouri could be, if they were a bigger draw for recruits, and if their region had a more fertile prospect zone.

The Tigers have had some scrappy teams, so, maybe my apprehension is a little premature. And, if I'm going to be skeptic about one hire, I suppose I'd rather it be a position component, rather than the head coach [like I was with the Golden hire]...

Of the above group, I am most excited about the Manny Diaz hire.

Here is a guy that has been primed and ready to take on a Power 5 Head Coaching job.
And yet, to here it from Diaz, he couldn't be happier being at the U.

Manny Diaz: "“Starkville is a special place and I could not be more thankful for the opportunity Dan Mullen and Scott Stricklin gave my family and I. The Bulldog fans are like no other and it has been a privilege to be a part of such a great program, University and community. I wish the MSU players, coaches and fans all the best. Their future is bright. We knew it would take a very unique opportunity for us to consider leaving. God blessed me with a chance to return home, to coach in my hometown and to reunite with family. It is the kind of opportunity that comes along rarely in this business. It was simply too good to pass up. I can’t wait to help Coach Richt build a championship program at Miami.”

It is this sort of enthusiasm that whets the appetite for the season to begin. And, who knows. If all the cards fall in the right places, maybe Richt retires in South South Beach, while Diaz takes over the reigns.

As for the Miami/FSU game on October 8th, it could come down to how polished Seminoles passing game shapes up.

Richt has gone out and gathered a pass prevent defense. And, although our Quarterback situation is solid. Between these 2 stingy defenses, this game may be decided on the ground.

---

Of course the Orange underline is my highlighting where my thoughts were back in the summer of 2016, not originally highlighted back when I typed this up.

Gotta say, it feels good to be a `Cane today.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 pm

donovan wrote:Seems quick to me. Almost preplanned.

You are not the only one who thought that...

I like the way you think. :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”