Redefining The Clear and Undisputable......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Redefining The Clear and Undisputable......

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:24 pm

.........language of the rules.

No way one could see what happened on that fumble, they could only deduce what happened.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Redefining The Clear and Undisputable......

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:57 pm

It happens all the time. Which is why I have always been against replay. The guys in the booth over analyze what they see. The guys on the field don’t miss much. If they do it is part of the game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:11 pm

We agree on that. Officials are part of the game. And all the replay is deceptive. That get out their yellow lines and micrometers to see if it is a first down after they have arbitrarily spotted the ball.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 pm

No targeting fouls for offensive players....... does that make good sense??? :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Of course not. The solution is to get rid of all this protective equipment, make the schools take out enormous accident insurance policies and let the barbarians go at it. Football has to compete with UFC. We quit caring about the kids long ago. Took years to stop horse collaring. Spearing has always been illegal, not sure targeting is much different.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:21 am

Targeting and spearing are the same in my eyes. I think if players are taught to form tackle with their heads up then you make the game about as safe as it can be. Past that they need to figure out a new game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:31 am

Spence wrote:Targeting and spearing are the same in my eyes. I think if players are taught to form tackle with their heads up then you make the game about as safe as it can be. Past that they need to figure out a new game.

Boxing, The Marquess of Queensberry Rules, was not enough for the public and Boxing as we use to know it, Friday Night Fights, Gillette, Wednesday, I think it was Bud...gone, like the gone but not forgotten immortal Patsy Cline.

If the postseason game features this year's bowls ... won't be long. I know some really hardcore fans here on the Left Coast, and the season is over...they don't care about Alabama and Clemson...they agree with Mr. Billybud...which pains me...but they have no interest. After the Rose Bowl, they're done.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:44 am

I like the technology of review...we, the TV watching fans, can see the ball in close up from several angles in super slow motion...we can see the ball being trapped against the ground, we can see the tip of the ball hit the white out of bounds stripe...we can see the knee touch before the ball crosses the goal. And so can the replay booth.

I want the correct call by whatever means gets us closer to it. Like many of us who have officiated, I know how difficult it is to see through bodies, see things happening in a blink of an eye.

It's not old school, but it does result in more accurate calls.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:47 am

And....have you noticed how many times the replay signal gets called in after the game announcers question the call and run a slo mo for us fans?

I think that the booth watches the telecast and relies on the immediate replay technology of modern broadcasting.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:19 am

The reality is subjectivity still rules the call in some cases. There was nothing ‘clear and indisputable’ about two calls in the Bama/Okie game last night. One was a fumble call where the arm was down but could not see through the body of the ball carrier to determine where the ball was, and the other on a pass where the control of the ball through the catch was questionable.

The stumbling block is the Officials have only 1 of 2 choices......

Return to “General Discussion”