Let’s Goooooooo Mountaineers

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Let’s Goooooooo Mountaineers

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:37 pm

Hit a guy who is already down...and lower your head and body to do it...you take your chances on a penalty....awful play by the DB...the guy was down, had hit on his front, and rolled by the tine the DB lowers and hits him on the ground. Hit him about the head and shoulder...can't hit a defensless player, who is down on the ground, and knock his helmet off...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:08 pm

billybud wrote:Hit a guy who is already down...and lower your head and body to do it...you take your chances on a penalty....awful play by the DB...the guy was down, had hit on his front, and rolled by the tine the DB lowers and hits him on the ground. Hit him about the head and shoulder...can't hit a defensless player, who is down on the ground, and knock his helmet off...

Personal Foul...... 15 yard penalty and no player ejection. Did you see where the Official was that called it??? I did. Out of position to make the call. What I’m wondering is where the replay guy was...... :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:04 am

If you hit defenseless player about the head or neck it is targeting....you don't have to hit with the helmet, you don't have to launch.

The WVU DB knocked the helmet off the offensive player when he was on the ground by diving into his head/neck area

Watch the clip....https://247sports.com/Article/West-Virg ... 126951606/

RULE

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Only a fan not familiar with the targeting rule would argue that call. It was clear targetting.

1....the runner was defenseless by NCAA definition..on the ground
2....the defender absolutely made contact with the head/neck area with his shoulder and helmet...the camera catches it pretty well
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:11 am

I am not sure West Virginia's issues rest solely with the officials. I would do away with replay. Rules change. The history of downs is evidence enough. Football is a contact sport. That needs to be minimized. I am okay with officials making some objective calls. Life is not purely subjective.

I support the targeting rule. Coaches need to start coaching differently. Read what Pete Caroll of the Seahawks is doing about tacking to help this situation. It can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HihjPApzCg
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 am

billybud wrote:If you hit defenseless player about the head or neck it is targeting....you don't have to hit with the helmet, you don't have to launch.

The WVU DB knocked the helmet off the offensive player when he was on the ground by diving into his head/neck area

Watch the clip....https://247sports.com/Article/West-Virg ... 126951606/

RULE

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Only a fan not familiar with the targeting rule would argue that call. It was clear targetting.

1....the runner was defenseless by NCAA definition..on the ground
2....the defender absolutely made contact with the head/neck area with his shoulder and helmet...the camera catches it pretty well

Yadda, yadda, yadda....... Bad Call, Wrong Call.......end of story. :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am

yada yada... you are not understanding the rule...or maybe you do and just are exhibiting the homer in us all.

Good call...you can't refute the video...nor rule...It was a correct call based on the current targeting rule.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:56 am

I understand the rule, I support the rule, and no, it’s not homerism, and yes I can refute the video........... my position is the call by the game officials and replay crew was incorrect.

That’s it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:15 am

I don’t support the rule. I think the rule is too vague and I thing it is vague on purpose and has the sole purpose of heading off a bunch of lawsuits coming to the NCAA.

I don’t have a problem with implementing a rule to keep players safe. I just don’t think that is what is going on here.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:37 am

Concussions have become very political. The amount of youth concussions has skyrocketed. The public gets concussions. They never understood that horse collaring ruined knees forever so nothing was done for years. Players learned not to horsecollar and it is very seldom seen and called when it is.

I agree with both Spence and Mr. Billybud. The key, as said, going to have to learn to tackle differently. My kids played Pop Warner, or something like it...would never let them do it in this day and age.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:33 am

Mountainman wrote:I understand the rule, I support the rule, and no, it’s not homerism, and yes I can refute the video........... my position is the call by the game officials and replay crew was incorrect.

That’s it.

Yeah...I get it...pure homerism...the video is plain....the rule is clear. Many do not read nor understand the rule.

If the WVU DB had just speared him on the ground in the body, it would have been a 15 yard penalty....but he hit a defenseless player in the head and neck ....ejected...that's it.

Now...this WVU ejection, in a previous game appears to be very arguable.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17858905

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:26 am

billybud wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I understand the rule, I support the rule, and no, it’s not homerism, and yes I can refute the video........... my position is the call by the game officials and replay crew was incorrect.

That’s it.

Yeah...I get it...pure homerism...the video is plain....the rule is clear. Many do not read nor understand the rule.

If the WVU DB had just speared him on the ground in the body, it would have been a 15 yard penalty....but he hit a defenseless player in the head and neck ....ejected...that's it.

Now...this WVU ejection, in a previous game appears to be very arguable.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17858905

The only similarities I see in the two videos are, the defender attempting to prevent the ball carrier from reaching the 1st down line to make and the official making the wrong call.

Return to “General Discussion”