Auburn-Purdue

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Auburn-Purdue

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Halftime 56-7 Auburn's way.

A massacre...Hope Auburn starts the 4th team in the 2nd half.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Auburn-Purdue

Postby highfly24 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Yup that game got ugly real quick. Sadly I picked Purdue thinking they would come out excited with the head coach staying. They have a funny way of showing appreciation.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:00 pm

........geeeez, yet another yawner this bowl season. For one reason or another some of these match-ups are proving not very good to watch. Hell, the freakin’ Boise/Boston College rainout was easier to watch. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:24 pm

SEC...SEC...SEC
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:32 pm

billybud wrote:SEC...SEC...SEC

I know you are making some kind of a point; don't tell me, I'll figure it out.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Mountainman wrote:........geeeez, yet another yawner this bowl season. For one reason or another some of these match-ups are proving not very good to watch. Hell, the freakin’ Boise/Boston College rainout was easier to watch. :roll:

I agree, not many good ones yet. Either the matchup does nothing for my interest, or the game is a beat down, often both. I hope the nightcap, Iowa State/Wazzou, makes it worth staying up for.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:09 pm

highfly24 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:........geeeez, yet another yawner this bowl season. For one reason or another some of these match-ups are proving not very good to watch. Hell, the freakin’ Boise/Boston College rainout was easier to watch. :roll:

I agree, not many good ones yet. Either the matchup does nothing for my interest, or the game is a beat down, often both. I hope the nightcap, Iowa State/Wazzou, makes it worth staying up for.

I’ve got an interest in the next game coming up....... :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:36 pm

---
And, Mountainman, it has thus far been more than worth the watch.

Let's see who made the best adjustments at the half.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm

highfly24 wrote:Yup that game got ugly real quick. Sadly I picked Purdue thinking they would come out excited with the head coach staying. They have a funny way of showing appreciation.

I picked `em, too ...

I assumed the better version of Purdue would show up today, and that Auburn was so deficient offensively throughout the season, that this would be a closer contest.

What didn't occur to me, was that Auburn was sick of hearing about how they got beaten by UCF last year, and would make a statement that says, we are much better than that.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:47 pm

It was really about team speed...

Auburn just had so much more speed than Purdue.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:59 pm

---

Well, that, and the ability to execute their offensive plays better than they had all season long.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Easier to execute an offense against a slower defense.....Purdue's coach talked about it going in...a mismatch.

Purdue was nothing like LSU, Alabama, Georgia...or even Missisippi State, all of whom Auburn lost to.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:07 pm

billybud wrote:Easier to execute an offense against a slower defense.....Purdue's coach talked about it going in...a mismatch.

Purdue was nothing like LSU, Alabama, Georgia...or even Missisippi State, all of whom Auburn lost to.

Or Ohio State ... O` Wait ...

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:17 am

I don't know what you are trying to say...but Auburn played much faster defenses when they played LSU, Alabama, Georgia. And took advantage of Purdues slower defensive backs/linebackers.

As Markus Bailey (Purdue) said post game:

Q. Markus, from your perspective, how did this game feel?

MARKUS BAILEY: Definitely jumped out on us with their speed. We knew they would be athletic at the skill positions, very fast. Not quite like our scout team that we go against during the whole bowl preparation. So, yeah, definitely jumped out on us. They were getting a lot of deep shots on us. Sometimes it felt like we couldn't do anything about it.

Sooo...you want to argue that Auburn's speed wasn't a big factor?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:26 pm

---

Show me where I argued and then make your point.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”