Meanwhile, Back in the Courtroom.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Meanwhile, Back in the Courtroom.......

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm

........on December 18th a Judge will make a ruling. This has the potential to be the beginning of a bidding war between the conferences for recruits and players.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... e-athletes
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meanwhile, Back in the Courtroom.......

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 am

Is this a monopoly lawsuit?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:11 am

Spence wrote:Is this a monopoly lawsuit?

Antitrust, I believe.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:13 am

Yep.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 am

Spence wrote:Yep.

I think I’ve got this right......claiming the NCAA can’t set the value its members can compensate players (cost of attendance, meals, stipends, etc).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 am

The issue I see with taking away the scholarship program and replacing it with pay for play is that it is a short sighted approach. Ohio State has 36 varsity sports, They are wholly funded by two sports. Most, almost all those student/athletes will earn a degree and be employed in a vocation other that professional sports. If the Judge considers that issue alone, the NCAA wins. If they just look at those two sports, the NCAA could be in trouble here because as it applies to football and basketball the NCAA and its member schools are not representing their athletes very well when it comes to what they get compared to the money they generate for the schools.

The schools and NCAA , though, could have prevented this if they didn’t have all the stupid amateurism rules. The N promotes their brand and their athlete to milk every last dime they can get but the coach can’t pick up the tab on at McDonald’s if he chooses. Players can’t sell their stuff if they choose, but the NCAA can sell licensing to the players jerseys anytime. They need to get rid of the stupid rules and then make the rules that make sense, then absolutely enforce them.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 am

You do what Spence said and give each player a monthly stipend for incidentals. All caused by testicular atrophy syndrome of College Presidents.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:08 pm

donovan wrote:You do what Spence said and give each player a monthly stipend for incidentals. All caused by testicular atrophy syndrome of College Presidents.

Yes, the are worries about pennies and risking losing dollars to save the pennies.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:08 pm

donovan wrote:You do what Spence said and give each player a monthly stipend for incidentals. All caused by testicular atrophy syndrome of College Presidents.

Yes, the are worries about pennies and risking losing dollars to save the pennies.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:43 am

I'm not sure I like pay-to-play as a concept. Or at least I wouldn't call it that. I wouldn't mind seeing them fed and given the accessories of life, so they don't have to pay for toilet paper/toothpaste/soap/etc etc....but not really given a salary. I feel like they are trying to turn college into the pros by doing so.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am

Derek wrote:I'm not sure I like pay-to-play as a concept. Or at least I wouldn't call it that. I wouldn't mind seeing them fed and given the accessories of life, so they don't have to pay for toilet paper/toothpaste/soap/etc etc....but not really given a salary. I feel like they are trying to turn college into the pros by doing so.

I agree, but a scholarship and living expenses. So much a month or week wouldn't be wrong IMO.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Some cash stipend, 300 bucks..something for incidentals. There are kids that could get scholarships but can not take them because they have zero incidental expense support and can not have a job.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm

donovan wrote:Some cash stipend, 300 bucks..something for incidentals. There are kids that could get scholarships but can not take them because they have zero incidental expense support and can not have a job.

Exactly. Let them be able to have some sort of legal college experience. Maybe it would cut down on some of the darker parts of college sports.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 pm

As far as this Court Decision is concerned, I’m hopeful it’s not a step toward legalizing the practices of the old Southwest Conference....... in creating conferences where recruits and players go to the highest bidder.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Mountainman wrote:As far as this Court Decision is concerned, I’m hopeful it’s not a step toward legalizing the practices of the old Southwest Conference....... in creating conferences where recruits and players go to the highest bidder.

That hope is years too late. These conversations are like putting cooked spaghetti back in the box.

Return to “General Discussion”